Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young
 
Rack Ranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Of The Gulf Coast Aquifer
Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water
Default Tiger Woods: Does Anybody Even Care?

I understand that he was once one of the best ever, but... BYE!!
He's done. I listen to and watch a lot of golf and I'm sick of hearing his name. He is a washed up has been that will never win another tourney. Can we stop glossing him already. I don't care what club he's swinging, what ball he's hitting, or what shirt he's wearing. The game is going to be just fine without him.
Does anybody even care if he comes back???
Rack Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
UncleBubba
Pope & Young
 
UncleBubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NE Texas
Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.
Default

Nope
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
Phdan
Ten Point
 
Phdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cache, OK
Hunt In: Ft. Sill, Snyder OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Ranch View Post
I understand that he was once one of the best ever, but... BYE!!

He's done. I listen to and watch a lot of golf and I'm sick of hearing his name. He is a washed up has been that will never win another tourney. Can we stop glossing him already. I don't care what club he's swinging, what ball he's hitting, or what shirt he's wearing. The game is going to be just fine without him.

Does anybody even care if he comes back???


Apparently you do
Phdan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
CrookedArrow
Ten Point
 
CrookedArrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midland
Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico
Default

who?
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
DNTRanch
Ten Point
 
DNTRanch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Runnels County
Default

Nope--- see ya!!!
DNTRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
WItoTX
Ten Point
 
WItoTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana
Default

I would love to see a lot of guys come back. Always cool to see a comeback story. Aaron Watson prime example. Or Willie. Or Cash.

Not to mention, Tiger made the sport of golf cool again. Look how many kids started playing after watching him? Why do you think there are all these young guys playing now that can out drive Tiger even when he was at his best?
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
bdchorn
Ten Point
 
bdchorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Ranch View Post
I understand that he was once one of the best ever, but... BYE!!
He's done. I listen to and watch a lot of golf and I'm sick of hearing his name. He is a washed up has been that will never win another tourney. Can we stop glossing him already. I don't care what club he's swinging, what ball he's hitting, or what shirt he's wearing. The game is going to be just fine without him.
Does anybody even care if he comes back???
I get the sentiment but think you severely underestimate his impact on golf. NO ONE has had a bigger impact on golf from a financial standpoint. Purse money has increased at least 10x, the number of amateur players has boomed worldwide, equipment manufacturers, etc. In fact, the single biggest reason the golf business is struggling right now is Tiger is no longer in the field.

Afraid you will continue to hear his name for several more decades
bdchorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #8
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young
 
SFAbowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melissa, Texas
Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK
Default

I'd like to think he will come back and get a few more wins, but I don't think it is going to happen. I don't think he needs to be completely gone. Look at what he's done for the sport in general...there's not another guy out there that has brought that many people into the game. He has been hard on his body throughout his career and he's paying for it right now.
SFAbowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #9
Pope & Yum
Eight Point
 
Pope & Yum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: rockwall
Hunt In: Right now lets go
Default

If he gets healthy and starts hanging around those high dollar "escorts", he will end up besting Jack's record...




With that being said, he is done. Golf is 100% mental and he is not even at 50%.

Last edited by Pope & Yum; 02-15-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Pope & Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #10
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point
 
ghostgoblin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: athens, texas
Hunt In: east texas
Default

every golfer has back issues, but tigers is different, his back/spine is deteriorating, you lose a lot of flexibility and the ability to strike the ball over time and its hitting him hard, I'm the biggest fan of tiger out there, I started playing golf when I was 2, and when I was in high school that's when he was at his greatest..

with his type of back injury it might take him years to get back to 100%..maybe, it truly is his physical game that is letting him down
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #11
Fishndude
Pope & Young
 
Fishndude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties
Default

Golf needs him to come back. $$$

So yes, people care. But your rant is duely noted by the 234 people who will see it.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #12
HC Sniper
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Abilene
Hunt In: Fisher county
Default

Nope. He is done. His swing mechanics do nothing but put stress on his back. He will never be able to compete at that level for any extended amount of time ever again.
HC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #13
kembry
Eight Point
 
kembry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Prosper, TX
Hunt In: Searching
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdchorn View Post
I get the sentiment but think you severely underestimate his impact on golf. NO ONE has had a bigger impact on golf from a financial standpoint. Purse money has increased at least 10x, the number of amateur players has boomed worldwide, equipment manufacturers, etc. In fact, the single biggest reason the golf business is struggling right now is Tiger is no longer in the field.

Afraid you will continue to hear his name for several more decades
This is spot on. I'm in the golf industry and Tiger was easily the biggest reason for the growth of the sport from the late 90's. I'm not saying that I'm a big fan, but the sport is better off when he's involved. Others will help bridge the gap but it won't be the same without him. I agree that his competitive days are most likely over and it's kind of sad watching someone that undeniably dominated the game for a decade, breakdown in front of us.
kembry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #14
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

I get tired of hearing about him and when he plays they feature him even when he is 5 over par and hacking it all over the course.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #15
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor
 
Cajun Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SW Louisiana
Hunt In: public & pvt land
Default

NOBODY beats Father Time

TW's body has broken down due to several reasons: very aggressive swing, and his body is old ... he's been a golf prodigy since he could walk and probably been hitting a thousand golf balls a day for 35+ yrs.

If he was smart, he should duplicate the swing of the 78 yr old gray haired lady who plays from the yellow tees. 150 yds straight down the fairway and uses the same golf ball for 18 holes
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #16
HC Sniper
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Abilene
Hunt In: Fisher county
Default

Golf does not need him $$$ wise. Golf is doing great without him. There are so many good young talented players on tour now that he will not be missed at all. The $$s will still be there whether he ever plays again or not. #10 on the money list as of right now (early in the season, not even to summer yet) has made 1.3 million dollars. Golf is not hurting!!!!
HC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #17
bdchorn
Ten Point
 
bdchorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

[QUOTE=kembry;12208280]This is spot on. I'm in the golf industry and Tiger was easily the biggest reason for the growth of the sport from the late 90's. I'm not saying that I'm a big fan, but the sport is better off when he's involved. Others will help bridge the gap but it won't be the same without him. I agree that his competitive days are most likely over and it's kind of sad watching someone that undeniably dominated the game for a decade, breakdown in front of us.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is if they both were in their prime at the same time Tiger would whip Jacks butt with any piece of equipment you put in his hand. Love watching the guy play and I couldn't possibly care less that he's a train wreck off the course. God will be the judge of all that mess in due time. I just want to see the guy play.

I will never understand those that actually play golf and hate Tiger. There's a reason every guy on tour respects the guy. Without Tiger the PGA is a shadow of itself and there aren't mini tours. Hell, Arnold Palmer made less money in his entire career than Jordan Spieth has in 2017 alone.

Earl Woods was 100% right when he said his son would forever change the game of golf.
bdchorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #18
tradtiger
Pope & Young
 
tradtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger
Default

Would love to see the man come back, be competitive and win the majors' record.

Never count him out. I mean, he won a U.S. Open with, basically, one leg tied behind his back. He is as mentally tough as they come.
tradtiger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:22 PM   #19
Cbb1722
Ten Point
 
Cbb1722's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default

I'd rather hear them talk about Jordan speith and Phil mickleson and the others everyone likes. Never liked tiger just because of his attitude he gets and affects everyone around him and he won't hardly accept the fact that he just straight loses. It's always injury related to the loss. I'd rather watch the guys that make the game fun to watch and have fun doing it.
Cbb1722 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:23 PM   #20
bdchorn
Ten Point
 
bdchorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Sniper View Post
Golf does not need him $$$ wise. Golf is doing great without him. There are so many good young talented players on tour now that he will not be missed at all. The $$s will still be there whether he ever plays again or not. #10 on the money list as of right now (early in the season, not even to summer yet) has made 1.3 million dollars. Golf is not hurting!!!!


Golf is getting crushed. Golfsmith in bankruptcy and Nike out of the equipment business are the latest examples. Tiger is the reason the purses are what they are and without him things will adjust a bit. Sure, they will still make a ton of money but you will likely never see the kind of growth the last 15 years have been again
bdchorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #21
jerp
Pope & Young
 
jerp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Shackleford Co.
Default

I believe golf is more interesting and exciting to watch when Tiger is good and in the mix on Sunday. It sure sounds like it could be really over for good this time. News today was his doctors told him he is not even healthy enough to fly across the country for a press conference for his own charity. I do agree however, that the golf press spends way too much time talking about him.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #22
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdchorn View Post


Golf is getting crushed. Golfsmith in bankruptcy and Nike out of the equipment business are the latest examples. Tiger is the reason the purses are what they are and without him things will adjust a bit. Sure, they will still make a ton of money but you will likely never see the kind of growth the last 15 years have been again


Jordan Spieth ring a bell? Spieth and a few up and comers will take the reigns and gold will be just fine with out Tiger.

He was a great pleasure to watch...at one time but its been quite awhile since he made any waves on the course

Last edited by flywise; 02-15-2017 at 12:34 PM.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #23
bdchorn
Ten Point
 
bdchorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
[/B]
Jordan Spieth ring a bell? Spieth and a few up am comers will take the reigns and gold will be just fine with out Tiger.

He was a great pleasure to watch...at one time but its been quite awhile since he made any waves on the course
You're missing the point. I love Jordan but he doesn't even move the needle with manufacturers and consumers the way Tiger does/did. None of these guys do. No one ever has.

That's not my opinion. Its fact.
bdchorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #24
snappertapper
Ten Point
 
snappertapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: htown
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
[/B]
Jordan Spieth ring a bell? Spieth and a few up and comers will take the reigns and gold will be just fine with out Tiger.

He was a great pleasure to watch...at one time but its been quite awhile since he made any waves on the course
I love Spieth, but he won't ever have the impact Tiger had on the game.
snappertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #25
Man
Pope & Young
 
Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Casper,Tx
Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx
Default

Golf is a dying sport....they are struggling for anything to keep it afloat.
Expect to see many retailers getting out of the business here soon.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #26
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappertapper View Post
I love Spieth, but he won't ever have the impact Tiger had on the game.
Yes he will
Theres no denying Tiger did more than anyone for golf. But Spieth and several others will as well and theres probably someone no one has ever heard of that will as well. Tiger's impact on golf is not in doubt but thinking someone else will not have that same impact is not living in reality.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #27
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Yes he will
Theres no denying Tiger did more than anyone for golf. But Spieth and several others will as well and theres probably someone no one has ever heard of that will as well. Tiger's impact on golf is not in doubt but thinking someone else will not have that same impact is not living in reality.
Yeah, but in who's lifetime? There were others that had a great impact on golf, but nothing even close to what Tigers run has done.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #28
bdchorn
Ten Point
 
bdchorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Yes he will
Theres no denying Tiger did more than anyone for golf. But Spieth and several others will as well and theres probably someone no one has ever heard of that will as well. Tiger's impact on golf is not in doubt but thinking someone else will not have that same impact is not living in reality.
How is it not reality when Arnie and Jack combined didn't have Tigers impact? Literally no one has. I'm a huge Spieth fan but that's nuts.

Sure, anything "can" happen but to assume it automatically will when it never happened in the history of golf until Tiger came along is crazy.
bdchorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #29
Cbb1722
Ten Point
 
Cbb1722's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Yes he will
Theres no denying Tiger did more than anyone for golf. But Spieth and several others will as well and theres probably someone no one has ever heard of that will as well. Tiger's impact on golf is not in doubt but thinking someone else will not have that same impact is not living in reality.
Exactly. Maybe Nike will go downhill in the golf world, but think about under armour and titleist. I promise they've made a lot of income since speith started. Along with dj Johnson for taylormade and Phil for callaway. One person will not kill the sport no matter how good he once was. Maybe for his sponsors but not the sport as a whole
Cbb1722 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #30
bdchorn
Ten Point
 
bdchorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbb1722 View Post
Exactly. Maybe Nike will go downhill in the golf world, but think about under armour and titleist. I promise they've made a lot of income since speith started. Along with dj Johnson for taylormade and Phil for callaway. One person will not kill the sport no matter how good he once was. Maybe for his sponsors but not the sport as a whole
Under Armour isn't in the equipment business and has said they wont be. Even then, their earning are down.

Titleist makes money on their ball and business is down on their equipment.

No one is saying the sport will be killed but it is absolutely not the same.
bdchorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #31
Cbb1722
Ten Point
 
Cbb1722's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdchorn View Post
Under Armour isn't in the equipment business and has said they wont be. Even then, their earning are down.

Titleist makes money on their ball and business is down on their equipment.

No one is saying the sport will be killed but it is absolutely not the same.
I'm talking about the clothing with under armour. But I know a lot of people who hit pro v1s and titleist clubs and they got no business spending that much on either balls or clubs. I believe they buy them because the famous guys use them
Cbb1722 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #32
bdchorn
Ten Point
 
bdchorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbb1722 View Post
I'm talking about the clothing with under armour. But I know a lot of people who hit pro v1s and titleist clubs and they got no business spending that much on either balls or clubs. I believe they buy them because the famous guys use them
OK, but the point is business for every single equipment manufacturer is down with the exception of XPG. Golf, the business of golf, is struggling mightily since Tiger went down.
bdchorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #33
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

When Tiger came on the scene golf was about as low as low gets.
It had to go up at some point. I'll agree that even though up was the only direction it could have gone Tiger took it higher than anyone could have expected. Tiger has not been relevant in 3 years and still the sport is gaining popularity year after year. There will most likely not be a giant rise like when Tiger showed up but thats only because its not in the swamp now like it was then
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #34
MassMan
Ten Point
 
MassMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Fisher, Erath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Tiger has not been relevant in 3 years and still the sport is gaining popularity year after year.
No, it isn't.
MassMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #35
bdchorn
Ten Point
 
bdchorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
When Tiger came on the scene golf was about as low as low gets.
It had to go up at some point. I'll agree that even though up was the only direction it could have gone Tiger took it higher than anyone could have expected. Tiger has not been relevant in 3 years and still the sport is gaining popularity year after year. There will most likely not be a giant rise like when Tiger showed up but thats only because its not in the swamp now like it was then
Sorry, but that's just false. Look up the National Golf Foundation..........I only know this because of my involvement with Golfsmith, but according the NGF, the number of golfers and rounds played has declined every year since 2010. Ironically, that's just after Tigers ex wrapped a 7 iron around his skull.

Last edited by bdchorn; 02-15-2017 at 01:06 PM.
bdchorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #36
Pkripper
Ten Point
 
Pkripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: East Texas Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Yes he will
Theres no denying Tiger did more than anyone for golf. But Spieth and several others will as well and theres probably someone no one has ever heard of that will as well. Tiger's impact on golf is not in doubt but thinking someone else will not have that same impact is not living in reality.
Jordan may never be the same after the Masters as Tiger was was never the same after the divorce.
Pkripper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #37
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.
Default

Tiger at his best was the best ever! Too bad injuries and bad decisions ruined him

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 02-15-2017 at 01:08 PM.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #38
Abcdj
Pope & Young
 
Abcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Corsicana Tx & Lawton Ok,
Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.
Default

His physical game might be done. But if your gonna throw him out of what he did for golf. Go ahead and throw Jack, Arnie, Gary, Tom all those guys out too. None of them did anything for the game of golf!
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #39
Pkripper
Ten Point
 
Pkripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: East Texas Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
When Tiger came on the scene golf was about as low as low gets.
It had to go up at some point. I'll agree that even though up was the only direction it could have gone Tiger took it higher than anyone could have expected. Tiger has not been relevant in 3 years and still the sport is gaining popularity year after year. There will most likely not be a giant rise like when Tiger showed up but thats only because its not in the swamp now like it was then
With 30 seconds of looking.
http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/...-golf-20150625
http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/pg...-golf-tailspin
http://www.cnbc.com/2014/07/24/golf-...professor.html
Pkripper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #40
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
If it wasn't for Tiger Woods I never would have heard of Elin Nordegren. For that reason, I'm a fan








Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #41
NoFence
Eight Point
 
NoFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Default

Tiger is the reason I started playing golf, along with millions of other people. That guy no doubt created tens of thousands of jobs in America at golf courses and shops simply by being the most dominant athlete of all time (before his downfall he won 1/4 tournaments entered with 100 more people in each tournament).

I sure as heck hope he makes a come back. Even if it's just one more major.
NoFence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:09 PM   #42
spikebuck
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sherman
Hunt In: Northeast Texas
Default

I care but understand why others do not.
spikebuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:09 PM   #43
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassMan View Post
No, it isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdchorn View Post
Sorry, but that's just false. Look up the National Golf Foundation..........I only know this because of my involvement with Golfsmith, but according the NGF, the number of golfers and rounds played has declined every year since 2010. Ironically, that's just after Tigers ex wrapped a 7 iron around his skull.
I just read an article, it has
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #44
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenhe.../#14b86a48164e
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #45
bdchorn
Ten Point
 
bdchorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I just read an article, it has


Earth is flat. The article you linked is a year old. It says 2015 was the first increase since 2012 and there are a million articles that are contrary to that. Whatever.

This thread itself proves how galvanizing Tiger is regardless of your stance. I assist a major golf retailer in disposing of closed down stores. I can say with 100% first hand knowledge that the business of golf is down, and I hate that as a golfer.

Peace brother. We likely won't agree and that's cool. Gotta get back to work anyway

Last edited by bdchorn; 02-15-2017 at 01:17 PM.
bdchorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #46
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Some manufacturers may be experiencing some difficulties but it might be because their price point and an Obama economy. Why would anyone buy a 1200 set of clubs when you can by a second hand set for 2-300. Much of the country for the last 8 years have suffered the obama economy. When this economy really gets going nation wide more folks will have the expendable income to start buying that equipment.
Golf if just as strong today as it was 3-4 years ago when Tiger was playing good golf.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #47
Juice
Four Point
 
Juice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Hardin
Hunt In: Hardin County/anywhere I'm invited
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdchorn View Post
I get the sentiment but think you severely underestimate his impact on golf. NO ONE has had a bigger impact on golf from a financial standpoint. Purse money has increased at least 10x, the number of amateur players has boomed worldwide, equipment manufacturers, etc. In fact, the single biggest reason the golf business is struggling right now is Tiger is no longer in the field.

Afraid you will continue to hear his name for several more decades
This is true
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #48
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdchorn View Post


Earth is flat
read the article
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #49
NoFence
Eight Point
 
NoFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
When Tiger came on the scene golf was about as low as low gets.
It had to go up at some point. I'll agree that even though up was the only direction it could have gone Tiger took it higher than anyone could have expected. Tiger has not been relevant in 3 years and still the sport is gaining popularity year after year. There will most likely not be a giant rise like when Tiger showed up but thats only because its not in the swamp now like it was then
Come one now... you sound like you secretly just don't like him, which is perfectly ok but... No one will ever impact golf like he did. Ever. Not the entire rest of the tour. He hit shots no one could hit, and then got the crowd to react like no one can.
NoFence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #50
NoFence
Eight Point
 
NoFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Some manufacturers may be experiencing some difficulties but it might be because their price point and an Obama economy. Why would anyone buy a 1200 set of clubs when you can by a second hand set for 2-300. Much of the country for the last 8 years have suffered the obama economy. When this economy really gets going nation wide more folks will have the expendable income to start buying that equipment.
Golf if just as strong today as it was 3-4 years ago when Tiger was playing good golf.
While I agree on the Obama comment, you're wrong again. Go talk to the manufacturers and golf courses and they'll tell you it's because tiger isn't playing. Look at the ratings every Sunday. As much as I love blaming Obama, he isn't the reason people quit watching golf.
NoFence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com