In a slump..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a slump..

Ever have one of those stretches of where your shooting falls apart? I'm in one of those now. I had been shooting great for the last few months but 4-5 days ago things started going south. My form seems good when shooting at a blank bale but when shooting spots or at my 3D deer it's like the aiming lobe of my brain quit working. The mental side of this game can be maddening when "the feel" leaves you. I have found I have to have a clear mind - if I am stressed or distracted it is a real struggle. I have also been doing this long enough to know that it can change overnight - tomorrow I may go out and everything will click and I'll stack arrows like a champ. It is just a little disconcerting to be slumping a week before opening day.

Originally posted by jerp View Post
    Ever have one of those stretches of where your shooting falls apart? I'm in one of those now. I had been shooting great for the last few months but 4-5 days ago things started going south. My form seems good when shooting at a blank bale but when shooting spots or at my 3D deer it's like the aiming lobe of my brain quit working. The mental side of this game can be maddening when "the feel" leaves you. I have found I have to have a clear mind - if I am stressed or distracted it is a real struggle. I have also been doing this long enough to know that it can change overnight - tomorrow I may go out and everything will click and I'll stack arrows like a champ. It is just a little disconcerting to be slumping a week before opening day.
    A truer statement cannot be made!!!!

I hope you find "it" John!

Bisch

Comment

I think that happens to everyone. I don't know if I could tell you what would help. I know for me, I go back up to point blank and pound the bullseye. If I can't figure out a form flaw, I try and reprogram my brain to seeing perfect hits.

I hope you get it back soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
        I think that happens to everyone. I don't know if I could tell you what would help. I know for me, I go back up to point blank and pound the bullseye. If I can't figure out a form flaw, I try and reprogram my brain to seeing perfect hits.

I hope you get it back soon.
        This is why Mark is my mentor this is exactly what I would suggest go up to 5 yards and start pounding the bullseye then step back to 8 yards then 10 yards you still have plenty of time to figure it out good luck brother

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

A friend of mine says: "too many mind"
          Meaning that sometimes we tend to overthink and try to do everything perfect.
          Thats the beauty of this. Its like throwing a ball.
          Let your bow rest for a few days, then get back to it. You'll be fine.

Comment

Haha look what I posted a few hours ago!

Chootum!

Comment

I was in the exact same boat about 3 weeks ago. My shooting was like the first time i picked up a trad bow. Like you said - one day I went back out and it seemed like I couldnt miss if i tried too! I'd just look at my spot, draw to anchor without thinking a whole lot about any particular aspect of my shot - and let it rip. I felt like B. Ferguson.
              I think we sometimes can overthink it all after we've developed a natural feel for the shot. If i try to think about too many variables I can miss. I think we all struggle with consistency. It will come back!

Comment

In a slump..

Well your good shootin' hasn't come by this way but if I see "it" I may ask it to hang around a few weeks before I send it back you're way. Hope you don't mind, LOL. I've shot terrible today as well. The worst I've shot in months, as a matter of fact. Suffice it to say, I'll be ordering new arrows first ting in the morning. [emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It must be the penumbral lunar eclipse? [emoji89]

Comment

Originally posted by J_Foster View Post
                    It must be the penumbral lunar eclipse? [emoji89]

Good idea - I am officially blaming the moon. I am going to leave the bow on the hook for a couple of days then like several have suggested, start at 5 yards and pound away until my ability to visualize the trajectory returns.

Comment

Do you run a shot sequence?I have found that for me when I have shooting issues it is usually one piece of the puzzle causing the problem.I see by your avatar you shoot 3 under.Because the arrow is so visible in your line of sight here is a tendency to consciously focus on it in relation to the target.Aiming should be a subconscious part of the shot sequence and the conscious mind should be focused on pulling with back tension.Also this is the time of the year when we are getting tuned up to hunt and we (I)have a tendency to shoot past the point of fatigue.Just some thoughts ,hope you get it worked out.

Comment

I think the others may be on to something as well. When my golf game struggles, okay okay, it's never awesome...but when I am even worse than expect. I start thinking about the little swing flaws. Do this, no do that, did you remember to this......I think you have to get out of your head and relax and just do what you have been doing for the last couple of years. Turn you brain off and just shoot.

Comment

Popping balloons is a good stress relief start big and get smaller and smaller and farther the bright colors are easy to focus on and the instant gratification when they pop is good for your mental health

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

take a week break, you're putting too much pressure on yourself, archery should be fun, not frustrating, everytime I go thru a slump I take a week off to give my brain, shoulders and elbows a rest and I come back even stronger....

Comment

I know your pain. I went to the range the other day and was all over the target. All the compound guys were looking at me like "I can't believe that guy is even going to attempt to hunt". Some even shook their heads. I got home and took a few hours to rest and clear my mind. Then did some blind bail shooting. Then i put a piece of jute twine down the center line of my target and started to work my way back from 10 to 15 yards. The theory behind this is if you are left or right of the string it is a form issue. High or low on the string is a distance calculation error. After about 6 shots i was hitting the string (or darn freaking close) from 15 yards and felt a lot better about myself. Don't let it bug you too much.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X