Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
Puggy625
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, KS
Default Open enrollment

Our open enrollment starts today at work to make benefit changes. Health care premiums are going up 30%, just like every year since Nobamacare went into effect.
Puggy625 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
rcm719
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine County

mine went up $200 a month, thats another $2376 a year.... at almost $750 a month I'm basically only getting paid for 3 outta 4 weeks in a month.
rcm719 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #3
jlp04c
Eight Point

I can break the news for everyone:

Premiums Significantly UP
Out of Pocket Maximums, UP
Coverages Down...
jlp04c is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Guys might want to look into medi-share, not for everyone but I like it
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
chongo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

We're on medi-share and are waiting for bills from my son's hospital stay/er trip. This will be the first time to use it other than office co-pays. If it works as it's supposed to, I shouldn't be out of pocket more than my AHP (deductible in ins. terms) which is 5k. My last insurance plan was $7500 going up to 10K when we canceled.

I think Midi-Share is more inline with what insurance was meant to be, not the mess that it is today.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Brown View Post
Guys might want to look into medi-share, not for everyone but I like it
We've been on this for 5 years. No complaints.
rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #7
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Just got notice that my family plan is going up by 700$ a month. Hi deductible health insurance shouldn稚 be more than a home mortgage every month. Complete BS and I am a health care provider.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #8
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

For what I pay for a family of four I could have a nice boat, a new truck, helll... a nice nice house.
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #9
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

What has anyone done for the 26+ kid? Yes, we help our kid still. But I have no idea what to do for her.
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #10
CEO
Pope & Young

When we were getting my sons coverage set up before he was born and I was told he had to have dental insurance to qualify as fully covered, I knew we were all screwed.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 05:00 PM   #11
texashunter56
Ten Point

Last year mine went from around $460 to $770 and then up to $880 this year. I got an email last week saying "We've completed your request to change your policy as listed below:
PLAN CHANGE
Your monthly premium for your policy is now $ 879.94." I did not request a change in premium
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #12
Buckley99
Ten Point

Still loving Samaritan Ministries!
Buckley99 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 05:13 PM   #13
topshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckley99 View Post
my folks have been with them (i used to as well) for many many years. i hear nothing but amazing things from that program. we may jump to that as a family this year as deductibles and out of pocket are up once again. i need a promotion just to pay for the increase in premiums lol
topshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #14
ladrones
Pope & Young

I went to a public comment meeting on changes that need to happen with Medicaid. The place was stacked with social justice activists upset with the state wanting to have Medicaid recipients pay small co-pays for some of the care they receive. They thought ten dollar copays was just to much of a burden on recipients. I was sitting there thinking I’m paying 1200 a month plus 9k in deductibles then whatever copays. The system is rigged.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #15
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaHunter View Post
What has anyone done for the 26+ kid? Yes, we help our kid still. But I have no idea what to do for her.
I've been on my own since 18, at some point you have to cut the cord.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #16
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
I've been on my own since 18, at some point you have to cut the cord.
Lol...Good for you.

My parents supported my sister until she was 28-29.

But now she has lots of letters surrounding her name and supports them.

Different strokes.
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #17
TKK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
We're on medi-share and are waiting for bills from my son's hospital stay/er trip. This will be the first time to use it other than office co-pays. If it works as it's supposed to, I shouldn't be out of pocket more than my AHP (deductible in ins. terms) which is 5k. My last insurance plan was $7500 going up to 10K when we canceled.

I think Midi-Share is more inline with what insurance was meant to be, not the mess that it is today.
so if someone in your family has an accident of some sort and requires long term rehabilitation that runs into the millions - or one of you has a long term cancer or heart issue is medi-share going to pay into the millions? It happens on a regular basis - you are taking a massive risk if you have a catastrophic illness or injury

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...stry/index.htm

Last edited by TKK; 11-01-2017 at 06:03 PM.
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #18
OS_BRANDON
Ten Point

Quote:

Trying to figure out that myself. I just turned 26 and was diagnosed with cancer in Jan. Currently going through radiation treatments. Nobody can give me a good recommendation on what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OS_BRANDON is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #19
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

After hearing all this I’m very happy I’m a federal employee. I pay around 360$ a month for a family plan that is a great plan. Recent surgery cost me 200$ out of pocket. I really feel for you guys.... that is rediculous.
Hunter_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #20
PVDT
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_Man View Post
After hearing all this I知 very happy I知 a federal employee. I pay around 360$ a month for a family plan that is a great plan. Recent surgery cost me 200$ out of pocket. I really feel for you guys.... that is rediculous.

...probably could've worded that a little differently.....like leave out the federal employee part with how low your insurance costs are.
PVDT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #21
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKK View Post
so if someone in your family has an accident of some sort and requires long term rehabilitation that runs into the millions - or one of you has a long term cancer or heart issue is medi-share going to pay into the millions? It happens on a regular basis - you are taking a massive risk if you have a catastrophic illness or injury

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...stry/index.htm
And your standard health insurance will????
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 07:41 PM   #22
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
After hearing all this I知 very happy I知 a federal employee. I pay around 360$ a month for a family plan that is a great plan. Recent surgery cost me 200$ out of pocket. I really feel for you guys.... that is rediculous.
Thanks for that
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #23
BertramBass
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman and Childress Counties

[QUOTE=Hunter_Man;12883960]After hearing all this I知 very happy I知 a federal employee. I pay around 360$ a month for a family plan that is a great plan. Recent surgery cost me 200$ out of pocket. I really feel for you guys.... that is rediculous.[/QUOTE

Good to know someone benefits from my quarterly taxes...
BertramBass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #24
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

Sorry guys that sounded bad.... but I’m a veteran and in the IT field. I sacrificed the fact I could make double my salary working for a private IT firm and chose to stay serving our country for half the pay. Kinda like being in the military. Active duty military have pretty good benefits and crappy pay... just like me. I work on a military installation right along side the active guys and deploy with them.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #25
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:

You池e welcome!!!
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #26
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Quote:
Sorry guys that sounded bad.... but I知 a veteran and in the IT field. I sacrificed the fact I could make double my salary working for a private IT firm and chose to stay serving our country for half the pay. Kinda like being in the military. Active duty military have pretty good benefits and crappy pay... just like me. I work on a military installation right along side the active guys and deploy with them.

You're a veteran. You earned cheap lifetime insurance even if you weren't currently a federal employee. You don't owe anyone an apology.

MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #27
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

Thanks. I appreciate that! I wasn’t trying to offend anyone. I just had no idea that insurance costs were that high. In 2004 when I got out I worked for Lockheed Martin and coverage wasn’t that bad. I really no idea it was THAT high

Last edited by Hunter_Man; 11-01-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #28
Buckley99
Ten Point

Reminds me of when I started in sales and one of our ops guys would always throw out the comment, “must be nice being in sales”. For the first year, I just smiled and moved on. One day, the wrong day I might add, he started “must be nice...”. I stopped him and reminded him that this wasn’t a fiefdom and we weren’t born into our roles. We are all blessed to have the ability to choose the road we take.

Hunter_Man chose to pursue federal employment and it appears most of the others on here chose the private sector. I don’t take offense to his comment because we are all subject to taxation and if you want the same health care plan Hunter_Man is on, go work for the fed.

Some are concerned with holding on to more pieces of the pie, while others are concerned with baking a larger pie.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #29
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

I can second the state or federal benefits. They may not match private sector salaries but it's a pay me later concept. My parents both retired from the state. Their insurance premiums during retirement cost $0/mo with great coverage. In fact my mother went through cancer diagnosis & treatment & insurance paid out 100%.
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 09:51 PM   #30
TKK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Brown View Post
And your standard health insurance will????
yes it will - I have been in the health insurance business for 38 years - have personally seen many many multi million dollar claims paid. Pre mature babies and on and on - so again the answer is yes
Old 11-02-2017, 01:02 AM   #31
Kodiakk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine and where ever else I can.

I'm going to my meetings in the morning. Hopefully they won't be jumping as high as others here. I took a huge hit last year. Screw Obama, hate that piece of trash.
Kodiakk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #32
rvd
Ten Point

Quote:
When you go for a routine Dr visit (sinus infection etc) do you pay anything out of pocket?
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #33
jlp04c
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd View Post
When you go for a routine Dr visit (sinus infection etc) do you pay anything out of pocket?
Probably pays it all out of pocket, for a visit like you described
Old 11-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #34
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Florence, Doss, Fredericksburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS_BRANDON View Post
Trying to figure out that myself. I just turned 26 and was diagnosed with cancer in Jan. Currently going through radiation treatments. Nobody can give me a good recommendation on what to do.

Prayers and PM sent.
COACH_EM_UP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #35
Buckley99
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd View Post
With a cash discount, it typically cost me around what I used to pay in copays (+/- $10).
Old 11-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #36
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKK View Post
yes it will - I have been in the health insurance business for 38 years - have personally seen many many multi million dollar claims paid. Pre mature babies and on and on - so again the answer is yes
I just looked at the Samaritan plan that was mentioned above. It caps at $236,500 per "incident". Cancer or a bad fall from a tree stand could go well over that amount. I love the sharing concept but I don't want to roll the dice on a max pay out per illness.
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #37
TKK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeghunts View Post
I just looked at the Samaritan plan that was mentioned above. It caps at $236,500 per "incident". Cancer or a bad fall from a tree stand could go well over that amount. I love the sharing concept but I don't want to roll the dice on a max pay out per illness.
Exactly - in todays world a claim can go past a quarter million dollars in no time - I see it on a regular basis on the group policies I write.

There are prescription drugs now days that can cost over $10,000 per month

Last edited by TKK; 11-02-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #38
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggy625 View Post
Our open enrollment starts today at work to make benefit changes. Health care premiums are going up 30%, just like every year since Nobamacare went into effect.
our premiums were skyrocketing before ACA
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #39
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
our premiums were skyrocketing before ACA
They were?

We have Medi-share. Good so far.

Is there a max out of pocket with regular insurance? Most plans are 80/20 so you rack up a million dollar bill and you're screwed anyway.

The racket is how much they charge. I had simple blood work done 3 weeks ago and saw the invoice. Over $900 I paid out of pocket for years and never paid over $150 but now it's $900 and no one sees the problem?

As long as honest hard working people keep paying these crazy premiums I bet they keep raising them.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #40
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

Wife and I pay the same as a small lake house and a small beech house would cost a month. Another 30% raise would be horrible and it would be a third house added to the list. As we get closer to Medicaid they are killing us..........
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 11:49 AM   #41
Part Timer
Six Point

Hunt In: Cleveland, TX

can anyone explain or PM about medi share before i give them all my info just to see what its about. Can you go to any doctor, how does a trip to urgent care work? I dont even like saying how much i pay a month out loud. I still have BCBS PPO though, so i feel like im trapped and need to keep good ins.

Last edited by Part Timer; 11-02-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Part Timer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #42
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

I feel for you guys that are paying such high premiums, co-pays and deductibles.

My wife and I are blessed. I'm a retired federal employee also. I pay approx. $250/month for the wife and I. I kept my GEHA plan when I retired. Once we both turned 65, Medicare kicked in. We now have no co-pays or deductibles and can see any doctor or specialist at no cost.

I'm also a Nam Vet with a 80% disability rating so I receive free health care and prescriptions for life.

I don't see how young folks now are making it.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #43
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

I just got out of our yearly ins meeting. I will paying $300 bi weekly, so $600 per month for the family for United Health Care. I guess it could be worse!
hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #44
rvd
Ten Point

Quote:
With a cash discount, it typically cost me around what I used to pay in copays (+/- $10).
Thanks for the info!
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #45
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

Do not scrimp on your health insurance. Last year I had a hospital bill for $658,000 in February. I now have treatments every 2 weeks that bill at $15,000 each. Without good medical coverage my family would be financially ruined, and I would be dead or dying.

Problem I see with costs escalating is services raise costs to make up for lower payments, insurance raises rates. Insurance companies and med services are all about making money, someone has to pay for it.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #46
J_Foster
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bexar and Medina County

I'm looking at about $4k more in 2018 for the exact same coverage as this past year. The life of a train-hoppin' Hobo becomes more appealing every day!
J_Foster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #47
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Thats part of the problem IMO
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #48
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeghunts View Post
Exactly! Not worth the risk
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 01:10 PM   #49
jlp04c
Eight Point

Some "share" programs do not have a cap, or they will cap on lower banded plans, and uncap the more premium ones.. Either way it can be a good value IF, and that's a big IF, you fit the criteria... It would NOT be suitable for somebody that currently has health issues etc. DO YOUR RESEARCH, and PROCEED WITH CAUTION.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #50
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Thats part of the problem IMO
What is part of the problem?
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top