Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 08-18-2019, 07:26 PM   #1
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties
Default Sub MOA stock 7mag under $800 Audad/Devils River

Headed back to Devils River on the TPWD draw hunt with my brother. I was lucky enough to take a young ram when I was drawn the first time. Been told weíre pretty lucky for getting drawn twice in 10 years. Missed a ram of a Lifetime on that last hunt and itís stuck with me. I was using a borrowed 7mm rem mag and absolutely loved that rifle. Rem 700. Right now Iím looking at getting a Bergara B-14 Hunter. Shots will likely be under 300 yds. I donít reload, and am pretty set on the caliber. Hunt is in January. I know the savage rifles are accurate, but theyíve always seemed cheap to me. I have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 308 that I like, and they seem good quality. I have an older browning Abolt Varmint Stalker in 22-250 that is an absolute tack driver. My dad has savage 6.5 Creedmoor that he bought from wal-mart for $299 that will clover leaf, so I know accurate rifles can be had with out spending a fortune and going custom. Looking for opinions on makes and models other then the Bergara. Iíve always wanted a 7 mag so pretty set on caliber. Thanks in advance. Have hears about some feed issues and primer cratering on the Bergaras. Donít know if this is just rare isolated stuff; I donít want to have to worry about that kind of thing.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
futureagg
Six Point

Hunt In: Deep East Tx

Check out Bergara on TSS Warehouse. I donít have one of their 7mags but I have 4 other of their rifles and they work flawlessly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
futureagg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #3
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Shots under 300? Just buy some good ammo that your 308 likes and get after it.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2019, 11:14 PM   #4
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
Shots under 300? Just buy some good ammo that your 308 likes and get after it.
I want to be prepared to take a long shot if the situation arises, and a flatter shooting rifle in those mountains makes a big difference.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:21 PM   #5
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Even out to 500 you aren’t going to notice a difference.

I’d spend the money on glass, ammo, an a LR class.

But, it’s your money, not mine.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2019, 11:24 PM   #6
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

Tikka or Browning xbolt
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2019, 11:26 PM   #7
geezer56
Six Point

I looked at a wood stocked Mossberg Patriot in 7mm mag on the used rack yesterday. It was $350 out the door, wearing the cheap Bushnell package scope.
geezer56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2019, 11:47 PM   #8
RPB
Six Point

Hunt In: A Big Oak,A Big Pecan Tree, and a Fertilizer Tank

I have a b14 ridge. Got it over the hunter because it has a threaded barrel. Barnes blue tips were 1/2 moa at 200 yards so rolled with them. Figured that was minute of anything I could hit at 500. If your not reloading find a shelf ammo it likes and put some good glass on it. Wouldn’t worry about the stock
RPB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #9
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPB View Post
I have a b14 ridge. Got it over the hunter because it has a threaded barrel. Barnes blue tips were 1/2 moa at 200 yards so rolled with them. Figured that was minute of anything I could hit at 500. If your not reloading find a shelf ammo it likes and put some good glass on it. Wouldn’t worry about the stock
What caliber? I was looking hard at this one as it's really not much heavier than the hunter.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #10
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

If your on somewhat of a budget I'd look at the nicer Savage rifles, not the axis line. Look at the 110 and 116 line. The couple savage rifles I have I would put against any other rifle in my safe and i have a couple $2K+ rifles in there. Also I would check out Tika.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #11
Torqman
Nubbin' Buck

I have a few buddys that shoot the TC Compass and really like them.
Torqman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #12
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
If your on somewhat of a budget I'd look at the nicer Savage rifles, not the axis line. Look at the 110 and 116 line. The couple savage rifles I have I would put against any other rifle in my safe and i have a couple $2K+ rifles in there. Also I would check out Tika.
This. Savage 10 and 16 lines or even the 12 line. If not just upgrade scope on a rifle you already have.

*tip: aoudad vitals are further forward than what people realize, behind the shoulder is only going to clip back of lungs
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #13
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

No doubt, Savages as a general rule do seem to flat out shoot. Can't seem to find much info on them in a 7 mag as far as accuracy/range performance.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #14
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

[quote=diamond10x;14313089]This. Savage 10 and 16 lines or even the 12 line. If not just upgrade scope on a rifle you already have.

*tip: aoudad vitals are further forward than what people realize, behind the shoulder is only going to clip back of lungs[/quote

They have that new stock on the Savages that has all that plastic. I think the 16 comes in a stainless with a synthetic stock. Honestly have know Idea whats the difference between the models.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 08-19-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #15
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

Tikka. Will do everything you need it to
doright is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #16
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Tikka seems pretty light for a 7mag, but would be great to carry in that terrain. Never shot one, but I know a lot of people swear by them. Need to go put my hands on a few of these and just see how they feel. Last time I looked at Tikka, I remember thinking the stock felt cheap and lite.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 08-19-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #17
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills/Brown county

Just bought a weatherby Vanguard badlands 7mm rem mag. Feels great in the hands and is light. Not sure how it shoots yet as waiting on scope to get in. It was $650 new.
RutnBuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #18
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

Go with the wood stock on the Tikka and a limbsaver recoil pad. I would not want a plastic stock on a rifle. Im sure some are good but I'm a little old school when it comes to such things.
doright is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #19
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

[quote=Lone_Wolf;14313110]
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond10x View Post
This. Savage 10 and 16 lines or even the 12 line. If not just upgrade scope on a rifle you already have.

*tip: aoudad vitals are further forward than what people realize, behind the shoulder is only going to clip back of lungs[/quote

They have that new stock on the Savages that has all that plastic. I think the 16 comes in a stainless with a synthetic stock. Honestly have know Idea whats the difference between the models.
I have a 114 classic stainless in 7 mag and I love it. If I was going to buy another I would buy the 116. The new 10ís have customizable stocks to fit you as a shooter better. Most the new models are going to come already bedded with their accustock.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #20
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

I have an extra rifle, Remington 700 SPS in 7Mag that I can swear has been shot 8 times. (7 sighting in and 1 on an elk)

Was in Colo in 2013 and invited on a elk hunt. I didn't have a rifle and bought this in Colo Springs. Serial # is S6694449. Zero issues and been in the case since. (I already have a 7Mag, which is why I knew what I wanted to use on the hunt). Located in Sugar Land.

$625 w/rings

PM me if you want pics.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #21
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
I have an extra rifle, Remington 700 SPS in 7Mag that I can swear has been shot 8 times. (7 sighting in and 1 on an elk)

Was in Colo in 2013 and invited on a elk hunt. I didn't have a rifle and bought this in Colo Springs. Serial # is S6694449. Zero issues and been in the case since. (I already have a 7Mag, which is why I knew what I wanted to use on the hunt). Located in Sugar Land.

$625 w/rings

PM me if you want pics.
Thanks but I'll pass.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #22
WIGSPLITTR
Six Point

Hunt In: Jasper, Sabine Ntnl, Moore P

Check out the Remington Long Range. I acquired one in 300 RUM in a trade a few years ago. Will flat out shoot and not to pricey. All i did was replace the trigger.
WIGSPLITTR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #23
powderburner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio

TC Encore with the Bergara barrel.

I have one in 300wm and it fits the bill.
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #24
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Headed back to Devils River on the TPWD draw hunt with my brother. I was lucky enough to take a young ram when I was drawn the first time. Been told weíre pretty lucky for getting drawn twice in 10 years. Missed a ram of a Lifetime on that last hunt and itís stuck with me. I was using a borrowed 7mm rem mag and absolutely loved that rifle. Rem 700. Right now Iím looking at getting a Bergara B-14 Hunter. Shots will likely be under 300 yds. I donít reload, and am pretty set on the caliber. Hunt is in January. I know the savage rifles are accurate, but theyíve always seemed cheap to me. I have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 308 that I like, and they seem good quality. I have an older browning Abolt Varmint Stalker in 22-250 that is an absolute tack driver. My dad has savage 6.5 Creedmoor that he bought from wal-mart for $299 that will clover leaf, so I know accurate rifles can be had with out spending a fortune and going custom. Looking for opinions on makes and models other then the Bergara. Iíve always wanted a 7 mag so pretty set on caliber. Thanks in advance. Have hears about some feed issues and primer cratering on the Bergaras. Donít know if this is just rare isolated stuff; I donít want to have to worry about that kind of thing.
Congrats on the draw. I don't have anything to add except light weight is your friend on that hunt. How many pref points did you have in the exotic category? I have 5 and that Devils River exotic hunt I the one I want the most. No luck this year for me.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #25
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

We had 9.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #26
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doright View Post
Go with the wood stock on the Tikka and a limbsaver recoil pad. I would not want a plastic stock on a rifle. Im sure some are good but I'm a little old school when it comes to such things.
Looked at some today at lunch. I really liked the Bergara B14 Hunter, the Savage 110 they had with the new accustock was actually pretty nice and shouldered really well. The Tikka just has a cheap feeling synthetic stock that I couldnít get past, really liked the action. Would like to get my hands on a Tikka T3x Forest, coming right in at 7 lbs Iím betting it would would be a lot closer to what Iím looking for. Honestly prefer a synthetic stock, not sure why they put such a crummy stock on the Tikkas, guess there trying to hit a price point.