Looking to buy a 25-06 for my son...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to buy a 25-06 for my son...

I’ve heard they need to have at least a 24” inch barrel and it’s hard to beat Savage for off the shelf accuracy. Doesn’t seem like they make one with a 24” Barrel. Any recommendations on brand or rifle. Thanks.

He’s shot several with my 308 and he’s dead set on a rifle that has more potential to drop them in their tracks. I’ve tried a lot of different ammo, and the deer usually don’t go far, but rarely drop from a 308, and we helped track a perfectly double lung shot doe on a youth hunt shot with a 308, zero blood trail. Shot with a psp 150gr Federal.

Comment

I have a Sako and have had it for about 25 years and my father has a Remington 700 Classic. Both shoot great and both have 24" barrels. I think most will have 24" barrels but i could not see a 22" barrel being too much slower.

Comment

I will see what I have!

Comment

Not an expert, but I believe you lose only 25 FPS per inch lost. So 50 FPS from a 24" to a 22" worth it to me for a shorter barrel.

But I know the Weatherby Vanguard S2 is a 24" barrel and right at the $500 mark.

Remington 700 CDL

Remington Long range

Comment

I have a TC Encore and believe it has a 26” barrel. Shoots like a dream

Comment

I prefer 24-26 tubes with the 25-06 case...a 22" is gonna have a loud bark.

257 Roberts would be a better balance with the short route.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                I prefer 24-26 tubes with the 25-06 case...a 22" is gonna have a loud bark.

257 Roberts would be a better balance with the short route.
                That’s another reason I was thinking a 24” Barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
                  Not an expert, but I believe you lose only 25 FPS per inch lost. So 50 FPS from a 24" to a 22" worth it to me for a shorter barrel.

But I know the Weatherby Vanguard S2 is a 24" barrel and right at the $500 mark.

Remington 700 CDL

Remington Long range
                  My 308 is a Vanguard S2. It’s been a good rifle, but I’ll be honest, my dad bought a 6.5 creedmoor that will clover leaf is a savage axis w/ heavy barrel. The Savage doesn’t feel as well made, but dang that sucker is a tack driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
                    I will see what I have!
                    Dealer, or out of your private collection?

Comment

I have a Remington 700 Sendero SFI in .25-06 topped with a silver Leupold Vari Xii 3-9x40 that I might be persuaded to sell. What are you looking to spend on one?

Comment

$500 is probably max, son sold his 17 and he has a little more saved up, so cheaper is better.

Comment

Saw this in the classified, not a 25-06. If he shoots your 308 this could be right up his wheelhouse. I have shot a 25-06 for years and prefer my 308 now. I like the short action a lot better. Also threaded barrel for a can if desired.

Comment

My TC Encore Pro Hunter has a 26'' or 28'' barrel I believe. It's a pretty good shooter.

Comment

Anybody have a Weatherby in 25-06? Curios what kind of groups some have got. Also the Savage 110 Apex hunter shows that it comes with a 24” Barrel. Just can’t find much info on that rifle. Would be wanting something that would shoot sub MOA with the right ammo. Is that unrealistic for off the shelf accuracy in a 25-06?

Comment

Working...
                              X