Business idea : food truck or trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business idea : food truck or trailer

Anyone here have experience with running a food truck or trailer on weekends for some extra income?

I've fine a little research on zoning laws and permits but not much into the equipment or layout, startup cost, of running a rig.

Trying to find ways to make some side money to pay for a house i want to buy/ build.

I have thought of and done a lot of side jobs...anything food related would have to be the VERY LAST OPTION for sure.

Comment

Have some friends who have/do do it and it isn't a get rich quick deal. Lots of work and money to be successful.

I know some on here do it so hopefully they'll chime in. Good luck!

Comment

Getting to wheat season in Texas. Always hungry truckers along the Houston ship channel. I was one of them years ago. Might check the big elevators in the Saignaw area for easy business.

Comment

What would the start cost be on that type of business. I know the city regulates them closely in Houston but they seem to do a pretty good business. The food trucks of today have evolved from the old roach coach days . They now cater to those looking for a unique food experience. I think it would help to have something that no one else has in terms of food.

Comment

I've thought (not seriously) that a good truck business would be a knife sharpening truck. Post up around different big sub-divisions in major city like Dallas or Houston to sharpen Knives. Set up a rotating schedule so you're there once a month. Pick up all the local restaurants too.

Comment

Guy sharpens knives at ace every Saturday don't know how he makes it at $3 a blade unless ace pays him to be there

Comment

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
                I've thought (not seriously) that a good truck business would be a knife sharpening truck. Post up around different big sub-divisions in major city like Dallas or Houston to sharpen Knives. Set up a rotating schedule so you're there once a month. Pick up all the local restaurants too.
                That's a good business, sharpening scissors is also a good plan . The haircut chain I go to has a guy that comes by every couple weeks and sharpens scissors. He was sitting in one of the chairs sharpening with a work sharp. I never heard what he charged but I'm sure he has more than one store.

Comment

Originally posted by Smithwr View Post
                  Guy sharpens knives at ace every Saturday don't know how he makes it at $3 a blade unless ace pays him to be there
                  Well, that's $3 of profit, which I would imagine is about all the profit you would get out of a hamburger and fries without the mess and hot griddle. Someone dumps their whole kitchen drawer off, you'd make a good lick. Not saying you'd get rich, just make extra money without dealing with health inspectors and such. Make no mistake, I'm not doing it, just the visionary and anyone else is welcome to the idea for a small fee in perpetuity for me.

Comment

We hire them for special events at work. The operators tell us they can't cover their costs without selling more than 300 meals a day. We have to supplement their income sometimes just to have them come back for the next event. Tough gig.
                    Last edited by Gherkin05; 04-04-2017, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Taco truck hits our construction sites during the week and I know he makes at least $300 on just our site Then drives off to the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                        Taco truck hits our construction sites during the week and I know he makes at least $300 on just our site Then drives off to the next one.
                        I should have been more specific, 300 meals/customers, not $300.

Comment

I've got some family friends that retired bought a food truck and had it just a few months. They said it about put them in the poor house. Another friend owns a food truck for a living and every week he's on the brink of having to close up.
                          I always thought they'd be decent money making things but judging by those two it's not the case.

Comment

I think a food truck would be tough, now if you could land some catering gigs i think you could do ok, you have to have a licensed kitchen in order to cater.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                              I have thought of and done a lot of side jobs...anything food related would have to be the VERY LAST OPTION for sure.
                              x2

Comment

Working...
                              X