Jack County “3 Gen” Stud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack County “3 Gen” Stud

I’ll start off with this was not a bow kill. For the last 34 yrs this property has been in the family. Parents purchased the place 2 months prior to my birth and have hunted every year since. I took my first deer of many here 20 yrs ago. My dad taught me everything I know about hunting on this place and it holds a special place in my heart for my passion of the sport. Summer of 2009 my wife and I married and moved to East Tx taking me 3-4 hrs away from the family ranch. Kids came and time/money for trips to the ranch were limited.

Oil traffic moved in, neighbors high fencing blocking deer traffic and wildfires turned a honey hole place into a no deer activity for 2-3 yrs. My dad would occasionally see a buck cruising but nothing like what it used to be. I have to give it to him though. He has worked hard the last few years managing this 90 acre place creating a deer habitat area that any deer would love. I think out of the last 7 yrs he has taken 2-3 bucks in the 115”-125” range which is typical here. Fast forward to yesterday.

Back in September I told my dad I wanted to make a sit with him and my son this season. My special day here is November 14th (killed 6 bucks on that date) so I wanted it near then because I knew if anything the action would be good. I really was t expecting much and if a deer showed up my son would be behind the trigger. I took a half day off work and arrived at the property around 3:30. We unpacked, threw on some camo jackets and headed to the back of the property. I think it was 4:15 when settled in the blind. 5 minutes in we spotted a spike coming from out front. He quickly knew something about want right and turned around. We decided to close all windows except for the front one in case the breeze was carrying our wind that direction. 30 minutes later my dad and I are glassing the tree line 100-200 yds our front when my son (8 yrs old) says hey there’s a buck. We both looked to our right in the thickest patch of oaks downwind. I spotted 4 white legs and couldn’t see anything else at the time. My dad sitting in the back right corner was at a terrible angle to really see anything. I kept my eyes on the deer and just to be ready we slowly opened the side window. The oaks were thick and I knew there was no way my son had a chance to get on this deer. I grabbed the 6.5 Creedmoor and got on the buck in case he was a shooter. Seconds felt like minutes and the deer made it to a tiny hole where I could judge the body. I stopped him and all I knew was he was wide enough, mature and G2 length matched his G3’s. I don’t know how many times I asked my dad “Do I shoot him” but I do know it was a lot. The buck just about had enough of standing there. He started to ease off one last time through a small 6” hole of vitals view and I let him have it. He mule kicked and bolted out of there quickly. Both my dad and son said “You got him” with excitement.

It was 5pm when I shot and for the next 8 minutes all I did was shake stare at the spot the buck was standing. Being so thick I didn’t want to lose the location where he was standing especially after reading all of the 6.5 143GR ELDX thread stories. 8 minutes went by and I couldnt take it. I eased down quietly (legs wobbling uncontrollably) to the spot I last saw him. Before I ever made it all I could see was a white belly and antlers! Heck I didn’t even go see how thick the blood trail was I was too excited. Expecting to see a 110”-120” deer I was completely shocked when I walked up on this buck. My largest Low Fence buck and an absolute beast of a main frame for anywhere. I made it back to the blind and we sat until dark in case another deer decided to play.

The anticipation was absolutely killing my son. I had no idea of what any bucks had been around the property the last 3 yrs. when I described him to my dad he said he had pics of him at the front. To see my dads reaction when he walked up on him I could tell he had the sense of crap I wanted that deer!

This buck will never be topped! Maybe by inches but the memory of this deer being taken with my dad and my oldest son in the blind is a day that I will always cherish. 3 Generations together taking a buck of a lifetime! Yes I may have been the one that pulled the trigger but this deer is all 3 of ours. From the hard work, sweat and blood that my dad has put into this place, my son spotting him in the trees in an unexpected location to me pulling the trigger. Unbelievable moment that I Hope makes him feel the same way as I do!

I quickly scored this deer late last night in the dark. Basically a main framed 8pt with a small 2” G4 making him a 9pt. My largest Low Fence fence buck. Man what a season and it’s still not even over!

Jack County
    11/15/19
    6.5 Creedmoor
    143 GR ELDX Hornady
    146 7/8” 9pt
    Attached Files

Nice looking buck, and great memories.

Comment

Congrats Jason! Great deer! He's got some mighty tall G2s and G3s! And all while sharing it with your family!
      Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-16-2019, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Well done Jason.

Comment

Awesome buck Jason.....

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Great buck man you're on a roll this year.

Comment

Congratulations beautiful deer

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice sir.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by slicktricker View Post
                        Great buck man you're on a roll this year.
                        I think after this season it’s time to hang things up and guide my wife and sons! I may never top what has happened in the last 6 wks. 505” of antler, week of sick feeling and what if’s and now this memory to top it off. Unbelievable season!

Comment

Very Nice Buck
                          Congrats
                          Last edited by T-roy66; 11-16-2019, 07:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Nice buck, great write up and pics too. Congrats.

Comment

Outstanding Jason

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X