New Hagerman draw procedure in 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
    The first time I put in for it in 2008 I was drawn. You never know.

That’s what I told him!

Still, I liked the old system where if you followed the rules you were likely going to get a hunt there 2-3 times a decade. Now I just wish we’d have gotten into the game earlier. Of course that would have required me becoming a bow hunter years ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wonder if the Golden Tickets will still be valid from last year?

Comment

Anyone heard anything more about the changes?

Comment

Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
            Get the ball rolling boys! Did you ask her if they will allow standbys for guys who don't show up or don't have the IBEP certification? If not I may send her a follow up email...
            Originally posted by GBludau View Post
            My first thoughts exactly, very justifiable and legitimate for there to be standbys available for that reason! Sure hope so!
            Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
            I did not

I do know that each WMA decides if they will do standby positions, not all do

We were told, lied too, that there were going to be stand-by hunters allowed for the Aransas Hunt. No stand-by hunters, Aransas and Laguna. FUBAR

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
              We were told, lied too, that there were going to be stand-by hunters allowed for the Aransas Hunt. No stand-by hunters, Aransas and Laguna. FUBAR
              Texas Public Hunt System 2017 - 2018
              This hunt will be conducted on Units 1,2,3,5,6 & 8 only. The youth minimum age for all NWR hunts is 9 years old.
              No standbys available.

Copy and pasted directly from webpage.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                It sounds like this year they aren't going to make you shoot a test. Looks like you just have to show your card and you're good to go. They're preparing for the TPWD to take over and no more proficiency tests. **that is just my opinion on how they have worded this**
                YOu still have to qualify. Its in the directions for application.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                  Texas Public Hunt System 2017 - 2018
                  This hunt will be conducted on Units 1,2,3,5,6 & 8 only. The youth minimum age for all NWR hunts is 9 years old.
                  No standbys available.

Copy and pasted directly from webpage.

This is TPWD, they're not running the refuge hunts, just doing the drawing. So, TPWD will not be there to make money of any stand by hunting.

When the Aransas Refuge started out you'd just sign up at the refuge and go hunting, even during the hunt. There wasn't a limit to the number of hunters and there was never a problem after the free camping along road was closed. Hunt numbers dropped drastically. Numbers took another hit when we had to buy permits months before the hunt and permit sales were closed during the hunt. The first limit on the number of permits sold was 600 and this was about 10 years ago. The number of permits sold was cut to 500 then a couple of years later to 400.

The director of the refuge said the TPWD drawing was for only 300 permits with the Refuge holding back 100 permits to sell to stand-by hunters.

The archery hunt at Aransas was cancelled because of Harvey, participation on the rifle hunt was less than 50%. TPWD will report 100% participation because that's how many permits were sold. Its total FUBAR.
                  Last edited by Thumper; 05-01-2018, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                    Anyone heard anything more about the changes?
                    We were on the turkey hunt and Kathy was NOT happy about the changes. Said there is still a lot of work/red tape to go through but unless something changes this was happening. She didn't offer any details as to how it would actually be conducted...

Comment

well this isn't good news

Comment

i am guessing this is fallout from trump trying to push more for states rights.

federal agencies funds being cut?

did gayle say why this was happening?

Comment

any news from the h? usually may is when the applications are sent in.

Comment

Nothing.

Comment

Just spoke with Kathy on the phone. She advised this season will be the last season they will be handling the draw and TPWD will be handling draw beginning in 2020. But as of this season, 2019 archery season, draw is how it has always been.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                                Just spoke with Kathy on the phone. She advised this season will be the last season they will be handling the draw and TPWD will be handling draw beginning in 2020. But as of this season, 2019 archery season, draw is how it has always been.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                                Did she happen to say anything about preference points being carried forward into the new system?

Comment

Working...
                                X