DIY John Deere 2950 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY John Deere 2950 rebuild

Well I'm going to do my first DIY thread.

This one will be a little crappy as I'm not a very elaborate pic taker and I thought to do this thread after we are now about 90% complete but I'll see if I can make this somewhat interesting to some people to see what good deals can be had.

So to start this story out me and my dad had been looking for another hay cutting tractor for a few months now and trying to keep a conservative budget.
    Now for the record I am known for finding equipment at really good deals of your not scared to take a little gamble and put a little elbow grease into things.

So the project I'm scrolling the Facebook tractor swap one night and find a tractor, pasture renovator and disc. Made a deal over the phone on the renovator which I needed and the disc just because I was going to drive 2 hrs and it was a good deal. Told the lady I would look at the Deere when I got there as I knew it was rough and had been sitting 3-5 yrs.
    The lady and older gentleman helping her sell things said that it had injector issues and her husband parked it then later passed away.

Here is the tractor as it sat and then once we loaded on the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yup your braver then me, I just need some tires on mine but seriously thinking of sprucing her up more!

Comment

I'm in. That's a load for that trailer I do know that. I've replaced a many ac lines in the cab corners of those old tractors. What trans does it have

Comment

We have one just like that sitting at our lease, I always wondered if it would be worth it to buy from the LO and fix up.

Comment

Im in for the restore. my dads got a old farmal H when my boys get bigger we are going to fix it up and get it back running or I will by myself if they are not interested

We have a old 4230 for our balin tractor and still goin strong minus the AC

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                Yup your braver then me, I just need some tires on mine but seriously thinking of sprucing her up more!

Good looking tractor I looked at several 4440s but for just running a hay cutter it was really bigger than we needed and this deal was just to good to pass up. We have to many tractors though as it is.

Comment

Yea it's a little over kill for a 8' bar but we've got a 12' cutter and a batwing shredder that the extra HP comes in handy

Comment

Originally posted by jmoore2006 View Post
                    I'm in. That's a load for that trailer I do know that. I've replaced a many ac lines in the cab corners of those old tractors. What trans does it have

I've been impressed with the trailer haven't had it that long but it's a lot easier to haul around then out big float. I hauled 17 4x5 rolls on it the other day with no problems. You can load 14 on it easily so that's what I generally haul at a time.

Comment

Here are some of the interior pics I had for reference when ordering the cab kit. It was rough only thing with keeping was the air vent bezel, cover around the dash and the floor mat.

Comment

in for this

Comment

We pulled the injector pump off on the trailer since it wasn't getting any pressure up to the injector lines and had it rebuilt.

We got it firing off on ether in 1 or 2 cylinders but it wasn't sounding good so we pulled the injectors out.

I picked up a new set of injectors from a shop in longview and put them back on with it sitting on the trailer and it busted right off. 4 of the injectors were plugged up with trash and the other 2 were hung open.

Comment

that is great news...

Comment

I've got a 2955 sitting that needs to be gone thru. Family member bought it burnt. Yes burnt ! Cab , wiring , hoses , everything. Slowly, very slowly rebuilding it. I just think it's gonna be easier to buy a complete used engine before I start buying piece by piece just to get to fire over. Also side note for you check the battery cables and make sure the wiring is not exposed. The way the battery cables were ran on this one had them just laid up on trans and is possible what started the fire on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X