Rubber bow blind build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubber bow blind build.

Ok, I know it sounds strange but bear with me...

I work in commercial construction and a lot of buildings we build have single ply TPO roofs. Which is basically a reinforced rubber membrane that can be adhered together to make a completely waterproof system.

I spoke with our roofer on the project and he offered a roll of this material if I wanted it.

I first got the idea to make a cattle panel style blind and skin it with the TPO material. But the more I thought about it, I realized I can make a more permanent traditional style bow blind and skin it with this material as well.

Now, working in construction also has perks of getting to use unwanted material that is going in the trash.

There were several dozen 2x6's that had to be ripped out and were destined for the trash. I was able to get about 20 of them. A little cleaning up and removing about 100 screws, they were good as new. Other than the base, the blind would be way to heavy if made out of 2x6's so I ripped them in half.

Here is a little progress of the frame.

I was browsing Craigslist and came across a guy selling new RV doors for $150. I snagged one. They are 3' wide by 6' tall. Should make getting in and out of the blind easy.

I built the frame here in Houston, the disassembled the walls and loaded it up to re-assemble at the deer lease.

Saturday morning I reassembled the frame and started to skin it. The rubber sheeting is much heavier than it looks it probably doubled the weight of the blind.

I was able to wrap it and staple the rubber on the under side of the 2x's. as well as the roof. Used contact cement for the laps and put another sheet to completely cover the roof. Took awhile to get it all wrapped and set on the platform.

After wrapping I was able to set the door and cut out for the windows.

On the way to the lease on Friday I stopped by and payed a visit to the guys at Deerview Windows. I picked up (3) 12x24 windows and (2) 12x12 windows.

Before installing the windows I painted the inside black and did a bit of a camp job on the outside. Not the best, but it will do.

Anyways here is the finished product.

One more showing the surroundings.

Sound be a pretty comfortable blind to hunt out of now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice build

Comment

Nice build!

Comment

Looks good buddy! Nice use of what would otherwise be trash. I built a similar style blind last year but I bought everything new. Cost me quite a bit. Love my deerview windows too. Make the blind critter proof and cozy. 2 1/2 months till bow season!!

Comment

Cool deal. Looks good.

Comment

Looks good buddy, should be fun on those hot early season days!

Comment

Should've painted the top blue with some shades of white

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                Looks good buddy, should be fun on those hot early season days!

It's really not bad. I was in it for about 2.5 hours on Sunday at 95 degrees. With the side windows it's gets decent ventilation. Also the roof is white and reflect a lot of the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                  Should've painted the top blue with some shades of white

Thought about that. And still might. I still have half the blind left to paint.

Comment

I always save the leftovers from when I rebuild a rv roof. I have put a rubber roof on my last 2 blind builds. I plan on doing a blind like this but covering the rubber with fence pickets

Comment

Innovative !

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                        I always save the leftovers from when I rebuild a rv roof. I have put a rubber roof on my last 2 blind builds. I plan on doing a blind like this but covering the rubber with fence pickets

Yep, this is essentially the same roof material that's on RV's except this is about twice as thick of the RV roofs I've seen. It's all good material.

Comment

That's very good thinking!!!

Comment

Originally posted by .17fireball View Post
                            Looks good buddy! Nice use of what would otherwise be trash. I built a similar style blind last year but I bought everything new. Cost me quite a bit. Love my deerview windows too. Make the blind critter proof and cozy. 2 1/2 months till bow season!!

Yep. I was able to build this thing for less than $300.

I remember seeing your blind. It. Turned out real nice.

Comment

Originally posted by wheels View Post
                              Nice build
                              Originally posted by AgBass01 View Post
                              Nice build!
                              Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
                              Cool deal. Looks good.
                              Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              Innovative !
                              Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                              That's very good thinking!!!