Is This Fair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is This Fair?

For all the 3D shooters out there, I have a question.

Our club is giving away a $250 dollar buckle for "Shooter of the Year". This is determined by the top 5 scores, not counting the end of year tournament. The board decided to do this 3/4 into the season without telling any of the club members.

At the time this was determined it was mathematically impossible for anyone to win other than the clubs top Known 45 shooter. With only 2 shoots left in the season the second place shooter (Hunter) would have to shoot 39 points above 300 to tie in an 11-ring IBO format.

We have 5 categories, but only 1 "Shooter of the Year".

Our categories are:

Known 45 (anything goes on equipment, scopes, single pin adjustable, etc)
    Hunter 45 (pins, no magnification, less than 12" stabilizer, unknown yardage)
    Women 40 (anything goes on equipment, known yardage)
    Youth (unknown yardage)
    Recurve (unknown yardage)

I made the board upset by my many attempts to prove Known45 category shooter scores will be higher than all the other categories. I went as far as sending ASA Shooter of the Year results to prove the point.

What do you guys think?

Come on guys, give me your opinions.

Comment

I'm confused. Is the "shooter of the year" the new thing... or voting to give them an expensive belt buckle the new thing?

Comment

In my opinion there should be a SOY for each class that has a certain number of competitors (to be determined by club). The SOY should included a pre determined number of shoots plus the final shoot of the year. In Texas ASA SOY competition there must be at least 3 competitors that submit 5 scores plus the state championship score. A competitor may submit more than 5 scores. His or her top 5 scores plus the state championship score will make that shooters SOY total for the year.

Have your club get with Tracy. We get a substantial discount on Gist buckles because we buy such a large number each year. Your club may be able to afford buckles for all your classes if they go thru us to buy their awards.

Comment

The "Shooter of the Year" and buckle is something new this year. The club runs a handicap system so the best shooter may not win their class.

Because of this, they want to give a "Shooter of the Year" buckle away, but only one. They are rationalizing that it's fair to give it to the guy with the highest 5 scores not counting end of year regardless of category.

There's really no reasoning behind not counting the final tournament except the recipient is the grandson and son of 2 board members and they don't want the hunter to catch up. At least that's the way it looks.

Thanks so much for the offer on the buckles, but they seem to want to pay more for the Montana Silversmith buckles.

Comment

Asa counts state score....imo it's fair and the best way for soy

Comment

Missing ASA already!

Comment

They should have one for ever class that has enough shooters to support that class.( How ever many that is set by the club)

Doing this decision of having a shooter of the year 3/4 of the way through the year is not right it should be for next year to let club members know in advance.

Does the club have enough shooters in each class?
                If not with giving these buckles away may get more shooters to show up and shoot,support the club.

This is my 2 cents.
                Good luck

Comment

We had over 10 shoots this year. They decided the SOY rules with 2 shoots left. Members don't know anything about the SOY. That'll be a surprise anouncement at the end of year. The club has enough shooters in 4 of the 5 classes. We only have 2 recurve shooters. Thanks for your opinions.

Comment

Montgomery county gives buckles to class winners, you can only miss one match. 5 best are for score. Class winners determined at last match then go into shoot off for shooter of the year. There has to be a certain number in each class, I think 3-5. Very fair way to do it. Shoot off is handicapped so even trad shooters have a chance to win.

Comment

How does your handicap work? I didn't know you could handicap across classes.

Comment

How does the Board approve spending $250 without consulting the members?

Yes, I agree with you. The K45 shooter will almost always outscore an unknown distance shooter. I don't think it's fair to throw all the classes together for one award based on the most points.

Comment

Sounds like the board member is a k45 shooter............Your club needs to have bylaws to protect against stuff like this.
                          Keep us informed I would like to see how this turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by boweye View Post
                            The "Shooter of the Year" and buckle is something new this year. The club runs a handicap system so the best shooter may not win their class.

Because of this, they want to give a "Shooter of the Year" buckle away, but only one. They are rationalizing that it's fair to give it to the guy with the highest 5 scores not counting end of year regardless of category.

There's really no reasoning behind not counting the final tournament except the recipient is the grandson and son of 2 board members and they don't want the hunter to catch up. At least that's the way it looks.

Thanks so much for the offer on the buckles, but they seem to want to pay more for the Montana Silversmith buckles.
                            Yeah, well, no, that doesn't sound fair; at least to me. Sounds like revisionism because the rules as accepted didn't have the outcome that some might have expected. Stuff like this seems to happen a lot with clubs that have competitive nature to it. People want to be lauded, or laud others for their accomplishments, but then take it almost too seriously. I realize that some people are very serious about their 3D shooting, but my opinion is that it should be fun. I'm not saying have an "everybody is a winner" attitude, but creating a reward system on the fly, takes the fun out of it.

Comment

This year is a lost cause, because it's been voted on and done according to the board. I wouldn't be surprised to see the buckle is engraved since the club championship is not included in the 5 shoots.

I tried to change the minds of board members to no avail. This really made me unpopular. However, it looks like the "Shooter of the Year" switched his equipment to pins and short stabilizer for the club championship. I'm assuming to prove he's the best.

I'll have to post the top hunter score compared to his. Not sure if he's using a rangefinder though.

Comment

Working...
                              X