Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage electrical panel

This doesn't look real good to me.

Can I just trim back and re-terminate these or we talking whole new wire runs?
    Attached Files

Everything on that right bar is burnt.
    Attached Files

Comment

you can trim back and reterminate the leads....

the real question is, why are they burned? A thorough inspection is in order there.

Comment

No idea. I pulled the panel off because my son was asking questions about breakers and I wanted to show him the wiring.

I do have some high power computer systems, but they're all plugged into breakers that are on the other side of panel and none of the wires on that side are burned or melted.

Comment

you have problems on that neutral also
          I would check the main feed to see if the aluminum wires
          were tight I would also add some no lox to them

Comment

You obviously have a problem with your neutral on that bus. Now, what do all the burned neutral wires have in common? The bus bar and the #4 coming in. If I didn’t have to work again tonight I would grab my spare 200amp panel and some wire and get her done.

I would call an electrician

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang it I been eyeballing it all night, think I'm gonna have to call it in. I'm all for DIY but burning the house down or full body glow are not on the menu. Money's tight but hey it's cheaper than replacing everything I own.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                Dang it I been eyeballing it all night, think I'm gonna have to call it in. I'm all for DIY but burning the house down or full body glow are not on the menu. Money's tight but hey it's cheaper than replacing everything I own.
                Smart man. Get a pro in there.
                Electric is the one trade where too little knowledge by a homeowner can kill people.

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                  you can trim back and reterminate the leads....

the real question is, why are they burned? A thorough inspection is in order there.

You Ned to check two things. How tight is the big s” lug where the neural terminates on the neutral bar. If that is tight then check where the neutral terminates on the other end. Either in another panel or disconnect or the meter can. If it goes to the meter can you can call the power company and they should come out for free if you word the call properly. “I hear sparking” or “smell smoke in meter”. Also there is a chance that the neutral feeding the panel is undersized. What size service do you have and what size wire is that. Give us another picture for size comparison. Do you have an amp probe? Or a clamp meter? Turn everything on in the house and ac. Tell us how many amps the panel is using. Tread lightly with some service tech electricians. It’s important you have a general idea of what’s going on before you have a tech come out. Also check all screws on the neutral bar for the individual conductor. Good luck and send me a pm and you can call with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                    Never heard it put that way. I giggled a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                      Smart man. Get a pro in there.
                      Electric is the one trade where too little knowledge by a homeowner can kill people.
                      Agreed. I am an electrical engineer, but specialize in electronics not distribution systems and home electrical. So I usually do most of my own electrical work, but diagnosing burned wires would be above my pay grade so to speak. I would much rather let someone who specializes in that field make sure everything is safe and repaired correctly. Having said that, I would do the checks mentioned by Flash and others in this thread, so when a pro came out I had an idea of what was going on.

Comment

Is this the main panel? If so I don't see a bonding jumper from the neutral bar to the ground. I may be missing it also.

If it is not bonded then that could cause a large unbalance on the neutrals trying to find a path to ground.

Comment

Garage electrical panel

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                          Is this the main panel? If so I don't see a bonding jumper from the neutral bar to the ground. I may be missing it also.

If it is not bonded then that could cause a large unbalance on the neutrals trying to find a path to ground.

This is the bonding jumper in those old cutler-hammer panels. Unless they installed a separate grounding bar. I can’t tell from the picture.

Comment

Now that I look at it again, I’m willing to bet that this is a sub panel. I see a separate uninsulated grounding conductor in there. This panel is fed with an SER. Grounds and neutral should be separated if that’s the case.

Comment

It's burnt.

Call a professional, and file a homeowners claim to get it all repaired correctly.

I've swapped out lots of panels that look just like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X