Kuscisco honey bee cutout 5-15-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kuscisco honey bee cutout 5-15-18

Had a good friend call me last winter about some bees that he found in an old farmhouse that was going to be bulldozed this summer. Went to check them out and sure enough they were still there and surprisingly pretty docile.

Covered the entrance with an exhaust elbow that led into my bottom board with an queen excluder on the front. Worked on smoking them intermittently for several hours but they wouldn't vacate their hive in the wall.

Once I figured they were not going to cooperate by smoking them I got my bee vac and went inside to take the paneling down to see how big the hive was and get ready to suck them up. Was surprised at the number of bees on the small amount of double stacked comb there was.

I then put some screen over them in an attempt to keep them from running as I began to vacuum them. Worked well and vacuumed easily 5 lbs of bees off of the comb.

I removed the comb as I vacuumed and then sprayed the site with bee gone to keep them from returning.

Fearing there were waaay to many bees in my brood box part of my bee vac that may become overheated, I dumped them all out into another double stacked brood box with 20 frames put a queen excluder on it and placed it back on the stand I put above the old entrance, and closed off the old entrance with screen. Went back after black dark loaded them all up and took them home. Super easy to handle bees and some of the most docile wild bees I've came across.

Kept a little honey off of them and fed the rest back to them. If anyone has any bees that they don't need around Wilson, Bexar, or Atascosa counties send me a message, I can most likely take care of them for you....
    Last edited by MASTERS; 05-16-2018, 11:40 AM.

Kosciusko is ten miles south of me. That is pretty cool.

Comment

Out in St. Hedwig. For say the last year, there have been lots of honey bees around the house. I can't say what species they are, just smaller bees. I had a metal roof put on it January of 17 and gutters just a while later - don't know if this has any thing to do with them. I have not seen an actual hive but they are coming from somewhere. Lots of wasps and hornets as well. Way more than normal. Welcome to come by and look.

Comment

I wish you were in dfw area, Ive talked to 3 diff bee removal companies and all said it would be a difficult removal and I should just exterminate. They just moved in about 2-3 weeks ago at my house.

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
          Out in St. Hedwig. For say the last year, there have been lots of honey bees around the house. I can't say what species they are, just smaller bees. I had a metal roof put on it January of 17 and gutters just a while later - don't know if this has any thing to do with them. I have not seen an actual hive but they are coming from somewhere. Lots of wasps and hornets as well. Way more than normal. Welcome to come by and look.
          Most likely a few wild hives nearby, if you put eyes on them let me know I could come by and check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
            I wish you were in dfw area, Ive talked to 3 diff bee removal companies and all said it would be a difficult removal and I should just exterminate. They just moved in about 2-3 weeks ago at my house.
            Who'd you talk to? I have a friend in Tom Bean who does removal.

Comment

Figured I'd add this most recent capture. Swarm was about 25' up in that oak and I used a bucket taped to a stick of 1.5'' pvc to catch them....if anyone has and bees in Bexar, Wilson or Atascosa counties they need removed send me a pm....

Comment

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That is Super cool Masters, I need a hive or two here at the house (tax purposes). Please pm me if you need to get rid of some. I am in Bandera county.

Comment

Working...
                  X