Scope Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope Questions

Is there a scope that allows you to dial it in for different types of ammo. For example, have one setting to dial it in with 140 grain ammo and another setting for 130 grain ammo (same caliber obviously). Or is there a way to do this easily on most regular scopes?

I would like to shoot more with target ammo since it is cheaper but don't want to have to dial in my scope again when I bring out my hunting ammo. Or, I may want to use different ammo on varmints/pigs than I do when deer hunting?

Any suggestions? What am I missing?

Any tactical scope with repeatable adjustment turrets. (Nightforce etc)

My Grendel shoots 120gr SMK and 120gr NBT in the same place. Gotta love that.

Comment

So can you not do the same thing with a basic Vortex/Nikon/Leupold?

Comment

Go to the range and zero with one ammo. Then shoot a group with the other ammo. If the groups are not in the same spot, move the reticle to the first group, counting the up/down and left/right clicks. Record the numbers. Switch back to the first ammo and shoot a group which should be off from the first group. Crank in the corrections you recorded, and shoot a second group with the second ammo---should be right on top of the first group you shot with the second ammo.

Does this make sense? I've never done it or had need to do it, but that's how I'd try it.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
          Go to the range and zero with one ammo. Then shoot a group with the other ammo. If the groups are not in the same spot, move the reticle to the first group, counting the up/down and left/right clicks. Record the numbers. Switch back to the first ammo and shoot a group which should be off from the first group. Crank in the corrections you recorded, and shoot a second group with the second ammo---should be right on top of the first group you shot with the second ammo.

Does this make sense? I've never done it or had need to do it, but that's how I'd try it.
          Makes sense, and sounds like it could work, I am just concerned about losing count of number of clicks and having to start over and/or having a gun that I'm not sure where it is hitting, which I don't want. Maybe its not possible to do what I want to do with a budget/basic scope.

Comment

I don't know if there is a formula to figure out where a 140 grain is going to hit in relation to a 130 grain bullet without taking into consideration the velocity of each round.
            I personally have not experienced a big difference in impact when changing from one bullet to another with only 20 grains difference. Maybe only a few inches difference and can quickly be adjusted back to center.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post
              I don't know if there is a formula to figure out where a 140 grain is going to hit in relation to a 130 grain bullet without taking into consideration the velocity of each round.
              I personally have not experienced a big difference in impact when changing from one bullet to another with only 20 grains difference. Maybe only a few inches difference and can quickly be adjusted back to center.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
              I used to go to the Sierra website and use their program to compare trajectories of various loads. You need some data, such as MV, ballistic coefficient of the bullet, etc, but it would give you drop data based on your input of zero range.

Comment

Zero stop turrets would allow you to return to one specific zero pretty easily, but I think you can only dial one direction from the stop point. I don’t have any real experience messing with turrets though. I just dial in for my ammo and shoot, would be nice to have the ability to change ammo on the fly though.

You could just buy 2 guns, one for the range and one for hunting.

I’ve also seen custom engraved turrets. Maybe you could figure out your zeros with the method above and have something engraved to match. That way you wouldn’t loose track of you clicks, or at least it would be harder to loose track.
                Last edited by lungbuster1985; 02-14-2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Use turrets and take pictures of them. I used to do it with my subsonic and supersonic.308 loads

Comment

Thanks to all for the tips. I’ll look into each of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                      Thanks to all for the tips. I’ll look into each of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      If you try what I posted, let us know if it works--I'm curious as it was my "theoretical" solution.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                        If you try what I posted, let us know if it works--I'm curious as it was my "theoretical" solution.
                        I have found that in the real world barrel harmonic differences make this impractical.

Drops become not exact and groups shift left and right.

Comment

Working...
                        X