Max LBS for 70lb limbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Max LBS for 70lb limbs

I have a 2013 Mathews Creed with 70lb limbs. Currently I have the bow set at 63lbs. What is the maximum I can torque the limbs to? Or is 70lb the Max what the limbs will do? I know there is about a 10lb give on the lower side but was not sure if there was any on the high side. Like could I get it to 73-74lb.

I feel like a newbie asking these types of questions. Been bow hunting for 20 yrs and just always have had my stuff set up and left it alone. Just now getting to the point of tinkering with my equipment.

My no cam is a 60-70 bow and it maxes around 73. i have heard most will actually be a little above 70.

Comment

probably will go to between 72# and 74#

Comment

It could be around 72-74, but make sure that absolutely everything is in spec if that's the case. I've heard some horror stories of bows that max out beyond what they should, and it is actually due to poor setup. Always check the ATA, Brace Height, and cam sync. If any one of these is really off, it could mean your limbs are under too much stress, which can cause serious problems

Comment

You should safely be able to get 2#'s over on most bows, some bows like Hoyts you can get as much as 5. Just remember the relationship between the string and cable(s). To increase peak weight you have to increase the preload on the limbs by twisting up the cable(s), this will also increase draw length so twists will also have to added to the string to catch it up and keep the relationship in check.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
            You should safely be able to get 2#'s over on most bows, some bows like Hoyts you can get as much as 5. Just remember the relationship between the string and cable(s). To increase peak weight you have to increase the preload on the limbs by twisting up the cable(s), this will also increase draw length so twists will also have to added to the string to catch it up and keep the relationship in check.

I'm confused muddy
            I'm resuming by twisting up I'm tightening the string? If I do that wouldn't it decrease draw length?
            Sorry for asking such a noob question '

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
              I'm confused muddy
              I'm resuming by twisting up I'm tightening the string? If I do that wouldn't it decrease draw length?
              Sorry for asking such a noob question '

By twisting the bus and yoke up you add pre load which mean you bring the limbs down loosening the string and lengthening the control. Which is way twists would be needed in both

Comment

If you bottom out your limb bolts will probably go a tad over 70. In terms of cable adjustment to go higher I wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                  If you bottom out your limb bolts will probably go a tad over 70. In terms of cable adjustment to go higher I wouldn't recommend it.

Why not? If a bow is spec'd to be 33" ATA +/- 1/8" then what we are essentially talking about here in most cases is running to the low side of the range. That's not hurting or endangering anything and will in most cases produce desired gain of a couple pounds over posted peak weight. Instead of a 33" ATA bow we have a 32.875" bow, still perfectly in spec and making a little more weight and speed to boot. There is nothing wrong with a hot bow.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                    Why not? If a bow is spec'd to be 33" ATA +/- 1/8" then what we are essentially talking about here in most cases is running to the low side of the range. That's not hurting or endangering anything and will in most cases produce desired gain of a couple pounds over posted peak weight. Instead of a 33" ATA bow we have a 32.875" bow, still perfectly in spec and making a little more weight and speed to boot. There is nothing wrong with a hot bow.

Assuming you are comfortable tinkering and know what you're doing and have the right press to do it. If you can't tie a string loop for memory you are asking for trouble using a press and tweaking cables. Kind of like suggesting someone's first mechanic experience to be a transmission rebuild instead of an oil change. If you know what you're doing its fine, but the OP clearly stated he has no experience. Just my two cents.

Comment

Working...
                    X