Red wing hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red wing hunter

Think I got a good deal. Came across a garage sale today and saw an old recurve in the corner. This thing is covered in paint and I couldn't tell much about it at the time, but I asked what she wanted and she said $10.00. I opened my wallet to find a single $5. The lady said that was good enough for her. Just rubbed enough paint off to find its a wing archery - red wing hunter. Looks like 58" 45# at 28. From what I've read it should be a good bow to get into the trad side of things. Looking for a shop on the east side of Dallas to get it checked out. Any recommendations?? Forney area.
    Attached Files

killed some deer with that model, great find

Comment

Congrats! great find.

Comment

Cool! I sure do wish I could come across deals like that!

Comment

You payed $5 for it? You are a lucky man!

Comment

There is no telling how many critters have been taken with Red Wing Hunters!

Just make sure that the limbs are not twisted when you string it up and work up to a full draw slowly. If no twist or cracks, then you got a steal of a deal!

Bisch

Comment

The cool thing is that it will clean up like new if you put some time into it. Check for limb twist first. Just eyeball down the length of the limbs and look for the nocks leaning away from true.

Comment

Would love to get the paint off but not sure what to use. Seems like anything that would take off an oil base paint would also damage the glass. Anyone with any experience or suggestions here?

Comment

Get some 3M "Finesse-It II" It is a non Abrasive Polishing Compound used to do final polishing on car finishes. You can buy it at automotive paint stores. It will take the paint off and polish the fiberglass without damaging it.
                  I bought a bow off Ebay that had house paint all over it and used this stuff to get it off and it came out really nice. Just used an old cotton t-shirt and rubbed it off.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'll get to work on it a little this weekend. Awesome restorations bassmatt those bows turned out beautifully.

Comment

wow great deal

Comment

That bow was possibly made by bob lee himself pre AMF red wing days. He is on TBH and his shop near Tyler. If you have the time and up for a day trip, it might be worth driving over and letting him take a look.

Comment

Working...
                        X