Instructional making your own lighted nocks {Images included}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instructional making your own lighted nocks {Images included}

Here are the items i use to make home make lighted nocks that are reusable in other arrows that use the same nock.
    ** When i pick up my new camera i will update these images with very clear ones.

1. Dremel or Hobby Saw or equivalent. *Dremel use cut off wheel and grinder bit.
    2. Emory cloth or semi fine sand paper
    3. Super Glue or the Gel Super Glue
    4. 2 Nocks
    5. Dummy arrow or a good one
    6. Rod -N- BoBB's, Thil Nite-Brite or any equivalent that are push pull for on/off. Bobber Lights *Found in fishing sections in several stores.

Step 1:
    Take the bobber lite out and see if it is working. * keep the wrapper, we wil be using it later.

Step 2:
    Take your light and stick it in each nock and see what one gives out the best light through it. In this case my yellow nock gives out the most light.

Step 3:
    Make sure the battery of the light fits in the nock. If it is too tight you need to drill it a bit. *Some nocks have a inset of plastic beefing it up in the hole.

Step 4:
    Time to cut the nock you test fitted to the battery.

Step 5:
    If you used a dremel cut off wheel you will get a little plastic slag.
    *If your test fit was really loose you can leave the slag that is inside the hole to help fill the slack around battery. But in this case it was close enough fit i will clean it out.

Step 6:
    Finished cleaning and your stop nock should look like this. You can discard the other end of this nock as we wont need it.

Step 7:
    Get your bobber light package now and put a small dot of super glue on it.

Step 8:
    Now take the battery end of the light and roll it around in the glue.
    *It doesnt take much. If you get too much on the battery it will take longer to seal to the end of the stop nock. If it doesnt look like enough glue. It is enough.

Step 9:
    Now insert the battery into the stop nock.

Step 10:
    If you look through the plastic you can see it is enough glue, and will dry very quickly. *When pushing your light into the stop nock make sure your strait as possible. You have enough time to make adjustments if your nock is a little loose so it can set fairly strait.

Step 11:
    There you have installed the stop. And it is looking good, so let it set up for about a minute or so.

Step 12:
    Get your dummy arrow or the same type arrow your using these lights on.
    Test fit the stop. It will fit very tight so dont shove it in the arrow.

Step 13:
    Sand down the stop nock so it fits semi snug and can be pushed in and out of the shaft.

Step 14:
    It should fit in the shaft now and easy to pull out with a little effort but not too much. *If you sanded it down too much and it is loose, you can fix this by scaring the outside of the stop nock with a knife blade and also, roll it in a small dot of super glue then roll it around on paper till it is tacky or almost wiped off. What this does is create a ruff texture on the outside of the stop nock and grabs the arrow shaft wall. ** Be sure the glue is dry before inserting it back into the arrow if you have to use this method.
    Worst case is to cut it back off the battery and clean it up and try again.

Step 15:
    Now put a dot of glue on the paper and gently roll the corner of the light end in the glue. If there is allot on the edge of the plastic tip roll it on a spot on the paper to remove excess glue. *This is important because too much glue will glue your light in the on position.

Step 16:
    Push the light into your nock carefully as you can and try not to touch the sides of it.
    Shove it in until the light turns ON.
    Wait for the glue to dry, if you put very little glue like it was supposed to have it should be dry enough in about 45 seconds.

Step 17:
    Gently pull out on the nock and turn off the light.
    Wait for it to dry about 2 minutes.
    *After it is dry, turn it off and on about 10 times in a row.
    This does 2 things.
    1. It loosens up the button so it turns on and off easier.
    2. It insures the bond is good.

Step 18:
    Now with emory cloth or dremel you want to sand the nock down so it fits loose.

Step 19:
    Now when you shove the lighted nock in the arrow turn it ON and be sure to line up the nock with your cock vein before inserting it into the shaft.
    *Do not twist your lighted nock to line it up, you will break it.

Step 20:
    Push it all the way into your arrow. Lined up with the cock vein.

Step 21:
    Final step, pull out on the nock easy and it will click and turn off your light.
    When you fire your arrow it will definitely come on. *If you have trouble with the light not coming on or is real hard to turn it off. You may need to pull it back out and sand the nock down more. If you look close at this image you can see the little gap behind the nock.

Thank you for reading my instructional on making your own "reusable lighted nocks".
    Final lighted nock images:

Last edited by tx07; 01-27-2009, 07:00 PM.

Thanks for the GREAT HOW TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

That's definately the easiest build of a lighted nock that I have seen. No drilling, no wood dowels, just nocks and the lights........I'm gonna build some. Thanks for a great how-to.

Comment

I have been trying to tell people about that lol.
        There are a few guys on here that do it just like this.
        Finally had nothing to do so i took pictures and explained it all the best i could.
        When i get the new Nikon i will up date this thread with allot clearer images.

Comment

Im glad you did this write up. Ive seen it explained a couple times but never seen pictures to understand exactly what was being explained. Now I just need to check Academy to try to find the lights so I can make my own.

Calvin

Comment

A little different than how I do it, but I do like your method and will give it a try............

Comment

Originally posted by kd5uwg View Post
              Im glad you did this write up. Ive seen it explained a couple times but never seen pictures to understand exactly what was being explained. Now I just need to check Academy to try to find the lights so I can make my own.

Calvin
              If you have any other questions give me a PM and ill explain it better if need be.

Comment

Thanks for posting this.
                Great info.

Comment

Lighted Nock

MAN THAT WAS GREAT, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME TO PUT THAT INFORMATION TOGETHER. I AM GOING TO PUT IT TO USE THIS WEKEND.

Comment

Great info.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom II View Post
                      MAN THAT WAS GREAT, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME TO PUT THAT INFORMATION TOGETHER. I AM GOING TO PUT IT TO USE THIS WEKEND.
                      No problem, smitty does his like this too. So there are a few that do it this way to get help.

Comment

I built some using the dowel for the stop ... I like your way much better.
                        Next time I make some, I'm going to use your method.

Thanks.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't see the pics so I can not put images with description. Dang it man!

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                            Unfortunately I can't see the pics so I can not put images with description. Dang it man!
                            Can you see any images on this site at all?
                            Last edited by tx07; 01-28-2009, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Big Thanks

Going to Academy tonight! Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                              X