Any ozonics battery hacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jacobh05 View Post
    I ordered some charged em up put them in two separate kill lights. My brother was going to try to shoot some pigs that night, and I was in a varmit hunt. I turned mine on and It went out, before I thought the call my brother he called me and said the light didn't work the led barely came on. Turned out they were some high power e-cig 18650's and burned both my lights up. Don't make the same mistake I did. Good thing my buddy sells kill lights and swapped out the bulbs for me.
    Specs are 3.7 volts. They do come in 4.2 volts. Maybe that was your problem. Not sure how the ones for ecigs are rated

Comment

Yea that's what mine were it was my fault I didn't do the research. This will be helpful when I pull the trigger on the ozonics!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
            Yes. I stuffed 3 18650 batteries in there. Its kinda tight but now one charge lasts 2 hunts easy, even on boost.
            What did you use to connect the new 3 batts together with?

Comment

Does this void the warranty?

Comment

Had 1 that wouldn't charge, called em & they sent me a brand new 1, good customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostSkull View Post
                  What did you use to connect the new 3 batts together with?
                  Soldering iron. Solder them in series so the voltage is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Delirious View Post
                    Just ordered 6 of these. (I have two ozonic packs)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                    Those should work if that is the correct voltage. Some of these are 4.2v
                    Add the total voltages if in series.
                    3 x 3.7v =11.1v
                    3 x 4.2v =12.6v
                    Voltage must be correct.
                    The 6000mah will last a long time on a charge.

Comment

tagged for the future

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis32 View Post
                        Does this void the warranty?
                        It would. But mine has been out of warranty. Worse case I burn one up, I go buy another. But having a housing, I think I might buy parts to make my own. I like the ozonics but as many of you know, you can make your own home brew machine with parts from the net.

My thought process on the battery case disassembly. Im going to make a few relieve cuts to preserve the tabs that secure the battery to the unit. I'll try to take pictures on the progress. Batteries come in today but got to take me daughter trick or treating, so I'll post something in the next few days.

Comment

It would. But mine has been out of warranty. Worse case I burn one up, I go buy another. But having a housing, I think I might buy parts to make my own. I like the ozonics but as many of you know, you can make your own home brew machine with parts from the net.

My thought process on the battery case disassembly. Im going to make a few relieve cuts to preserve the tabs that secure the battery to the unit. I'll try to take pictures on the progress. Batteries come in today but got to take me daughter trick or treating, so I'll post something in the next few days.
                          Tabs come off with the top cover...the cover just pops off with a little prying

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                            Be sure and get minimum 6000mah 18650 regulated or protected. Same batteries used in lots of high lumen LED flashlights.
                            Sorry but there is no such thing as 6000mah 18650 batteries. Sure it says 6000mah on the batteries but they are not 6000mah batteries. The highest rated batteries on the market are 3500mah. Any battery that says anything higher is just a lie. Every 18650 battery that I have seen that list over 3500mah is way under 3500mah and usually under 2000mah.

Just ordered 6 of these. (I have two ozonic packs)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                            Those are some of the worst 18650 batteries on the market. I wouldn't give 10 cents for those.

Originally posted by Jacobh05 View Post
                            I ordered some charged em up put them in two separate kill lights. My brother was going to try to shoot some pigs that night, and I was in a varmit hunt. I turned mine on and It went out, before I thought the call my brother he called me and said the light didn't work the led barely came on. Turned out they were some high power e-cig 18650's and burned both my lights up. Don't make the same mistake I did. Good thing my buddy sells kill lights and swapped out the bulbs for me.
                            I'm calling BS on this as far as the batteries burning out the LED. E-cig 18650 batteries put out no more voltage then any other 18650 battery. They can be a higher drain battery but that wouldn't damage the led in one of those lights because they have a circuit board in them to regulate amps going to the LED. The only thing that would burn out the LED is if you used a battery that had a much higher voltage and even then you would more then likely burn out the driver not the LED. Even if those batteries were capable of putting out a higher voltage then normal, you said you used your charger to charge them and 99.9% of 18650 battery charges have a cutoff voltage of 4.2 volts so you couldn't have charged them past the normal 4.2 volts.

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                            Those should work if that is the correct voltage. Some of these are 4.2v
                            Add the total voltages if in series.
                            3 x 3.7v =11.1v
                            3 x 4.2v =12.6v
                            Voltage must be correct.
                            The 6000mah will last a long time on a charge.
                            First of the nominal voltage of all 18650 batteries is 3.7 volts but a fully charged 18650 battery is 4.2 volts. It's no different then a AA battery that the nominal voltage is 1.5 volts but when it's brand new the voltage is around 1.7 volts. Same with your car battery, nominal voltage is 12 volts but when fully charged it will be around 13 volts.

Again, no such thing as 6000mah batteries and most of these 18650 batteries that list these outlandish amp ratings are junk and are nothing more then recycled 2000mah batteries from laptops repackaged to look new.

It is widely accepted that Panasonic 18650 3400mah and 3500mah batteries are the best on the market and that is what I would use if I made a battery pack for a Ozonics.

Also make sure if you use 18650 batteries in a ozonics that you only use protected 18650 batteries, if not you can drain the batteries too low and it will ruin the batteries. Also make sure all 3 batteries have the same voltage or it will really cut down on your run time and if they are not protected you will surely ruin at least one of the batteries. 18650 batteries don't like to be run down past 2.7 volts, when you run them below 2.7 volts it can damage them and this is what the protection circuit protects against in protected batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                              Sorry but there is no such thing as 6000mah 18650 batteries. Sure it says 6000mah on the batteries but they are not 6000mah batteries. The highest rated batteries on the market are 3500mah. Any battery that says anything higher is just a lie. Every 18650 battery that I have seen that list over 3500mah is way under 3500mah and usually under 2000mah.

Those are some of the worst 18650 batteries on the market. I wouldn't give 10 cents for those.

I'm calling BS on this as far as the batteries burning out the LED. E-cig 18650 batteries put out no more voltage then any other 18650 battery. They can be a higher drain battery but that wouldn't damage the led in one of those lights because they have a circuit board in them to regulate amps going to the LED. The only thing that would burn out the LED is if you used a battery that had a much higher voltage and even then you would more then likely burn out the driver not the LED. Even if those batteries were capable of putting out a higher voltage then normal, you said you used your charger to charge them and 99.9% of 18650 battery charges have a cutoff voltage of 4.2 volts so you couldn't have charged them past the normal 4.2 volts.

First of the nominal voltage of all 18650 batteries is 3.7 volts but a fully charged 18650 battery is 4.2 volts. It's no different then a AA battery that the nominal voltage is 1.5 volts but when it's brand new the voltage is around 1.7 volts. Same with your car battery, nominal voltage is 12 volts but when fully charged it will be around 13 volts.

Again, no such thing as 6000mah batteries and most of these 18650 batteries that list these outlandish amp ratings are junk and are nothing more then recycled 2000mah batteries from laptops repackaged to look new.

It is widely accepted that Panasonic 18650 3400mah and 3500mah batteries are the best on the market and that is what I would use if I made a battery pack for a Ozonics.

Also make sure if you use 18650 batteries in a ozonics that you only use protected 18650 batteries, if not you can drain the batteries too low and it will ruin the batteries. Also make sure all 3 batteries have the same voltage or it will really cut down on your run time and if they are not protected you will surely ruin at least one of the batteries. 18650 batteries don't like to be run down past 2.7 volts, when you run them below 2.7 volts it can damage them and this is what the protection circuit protects against in protected batteries.

Comment

Give them a call. Mine was a little over 2 years old and would hold a charge. Call them up answered a few questions and new battery in less than a week. Great customer Service.

Comment

Working...
                                X