Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you’re thankful your dad taught you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things you’re thankful your dad taught you.

Dad died prematurely in life from complications of dementia. Surgery or something connected to it triggered the dementia. He was never the same after it. Sure do miss him. He helped many people in his lifetime. That’s just how he was.

Dad taught me carpentry skills that I’ve used quite a lot. And to hunt and fish. We used to roam all across various ranches that we had permission to be on. He taught me to respond with love to the harshness and ugliness of other people who may be hurting. People ,who are hurting, often times lash out to hurt others. He taught me to use kindness instead.

Even in his last days on this earth, though in great pain, he’d still check to see how I was doing. It was amazing that he was still able to use a phone to call me just a few months prior to passing. In the final weeks I made sure to call and have someone put a phone to his ear. He passed away the next morning (this year) after we’d spoken. Love you dad. Thanks for all you taught us and shared with others. You are not forgotten and neither is mom.

My dad taught me that moments and memories are invaluable and it never matters how much money you spend to create those memories..

Comment

Life lessons respect and love.

Comment

work ethic, and trotlines

Comment

I lost my dad 2 years ago.... he raised me and we were extremely close our entire lives. Probably the most important thing he taught me was that above all else.... my kids come first.

Comment

I lost my father earlier this year. First and foremost he taught me to love the Lord, everything else fell into place after that. He was a great husband and father.

Comment

I wouldn't even know where to start!! Lost him in 2014 and miss him and think of him every day, but I also know how fortunate I was to have all the time we spent together and the great memories hunting and fishing. And most importantly, I know where he is and I know I'll see him again someday.

Comment

When you shake anyone's hand make sure its firm and look them in the eyes.

Respect
                Honor
                Integrity
                Work Ethic

Do it right the first time! Cause it takes longer to clean up the mess you made the first time and redo the job the right way.

At 14 he began to teach me something that he wanted me NOT to do the rest of my life......... Which was how to pour and finish concrete.

Comment

Lost my Dad at the age of 47. Learned a lot from that man the short time he was here.
                  Taught me how to weld, hunt, fish and a host of other things. Miss ya Dad!

Comment

gut a deer. I get so surprised on how many people don't know how or won't. I have seen people take theirs to the processor not gutted.

Comment

My Dad has taught me many life lessons from anything worth doing is worth doing right, measure twice cut once, do what is right simply because it is right and many more. But the most important thing I learned from my Dad (and Mom) was a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Dad is still teaching me life lessons. My Dad is 93 and recently has had back and hip issues and Mom is 87 and has Alzheimers and for now I am staying the night at their house until they will need to move into assisted living. Although it is hard to watch my parents age and be unable to do the things they once could it has been a blessing to watch my Dad care for and love my Mother, read his Bible daily and to hear him pray.

The last few months have been very hard but I would not trade this time for anything as I know there are not that many more years left.

Comment

Lost my dad at 9. Raised by stepdad who I wasn't close to, but I did learn some good stuff.

Don't worry about the stuff you can't do anything about. Worry the heck out of the stuff you can.

Take care of your neighbor.

Taught me to work with my hands.

If someone lets you borrow something, return it in better shape than you got it, if possible.

Comment

you are who you are dont be someone your not and...dont say you know how to do something...when ya dont...many others but these have served me well

Comment

I wrote this to my Dad for fathers day.

To My Father My Mentor My Hero

Dad as I get older and look back on my life I realize just much I learned from the examples you set for me. The things that I learned from you I will carry for the rest of my life. Starting with as far back as I can remember you were always there for me. You showed me how to ride a bike without training wheels. You showed me how to throw a ball and how to swing a bat. You taught me to believe in myself and how to be kind to others. You taught me how to defend myself and to stand up for my brothers and sister. Because of you I know how to fish, to shoot a gun and swim. I will never forget all the weekends at the Rod and Gun Club. You showed me how important honor is, how a man’s word is his bond and the importance of looking into a man’s eyes when you shake his hand. I am thankful for all the time you spent helping me with my homework even when you had a hard day at work. It did not matter if it was ten o’clock at night and it was do the next day. You always took the time for me. You taught me how to treat a lady, how hard work pays off and that I can do anything that I put my mind to. You showed me that family is always first and blood is thicker than water. Dad you are my mentor you are my hero and I am proud to be your son.
                            Happy Father’s Day Your Son Rigaud
                            Last edited by Texas Tracker; 10-02-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Grateful I still have my dad but he is still teaching me things

How to work on vehicles is the main one. I can wrench on pretty much anything and if I can’t, I can call him and he will walk me step by step.

How to love.... I wasn’t a pain in high school as I was focused on sports and girls but boy when I got to college, all reigns came off and I had a crazy 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X