School me on Kansas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on Kansas...

I've never hunted KS, but always wanted to. What's the process from start to finish on being able to have an opportunity? I want/need to know everything..

Thanks in advance..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
    I've never hunted KS, but always wanted to. What's the process from start to finish on being able to have an opportunity? I want/need to know everything..

Thanks in advance..

First you have to kno me what part of Kansas you wanna go to. You can get Kansas department of wildlife and there a map of all the units. Once you figure out your unit u wanna go to. In April there is a draw you have to enter. You select the unit you would like and pick and adjacent unit to it. That would be your primary pick and I think you get a secondary pick I always pick a unit that connects to which unit I wanna go too. I think you get thirty days to enter the draw. I wanna say result come out in June I think. Anything else you would like to know just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tsavoie22 View Post
      First you have to kno me what part of Kansas you wanna go to. You can get Kansas department of wildlife and there a map of all the units. Once you figure out your unit u wanna go to. In April there is a draw you have to enter. You select the unit you would like and pick and adjacent unit to it. That would be your primary pick and I think you get a secondary pick I always pick a unit that connects to which unit I wanna go too. I think you get thirty days to enter the draw. I wanna say result come out in June I think. Anything else you would like to know just let me know.

Awesome! What's the cost for the draw? I'm assuming if you get drawn, you'll have to purchase a non resident license.. no big deal. Is there certain dates you're slotted to go or is that "your" spot for the entire season?

Comment

I haven't been the last 2 years but it used be alitte over 300 to enter the draw if u get pick that for a either sex and a doe tag. the non resident is I think 75. No that your tag for whatever day u wanna go. I forgot to mention you choose your weapon when you draw.

Comment

$442 and then another $87.50 on top of that.

Comment

pretty sure it went up

Originally posted by seminole1990 View Post
            $442 and then another $87.50 on top of that.

http://ksoutdoors.com/Hunting/Huntin...ement-Unit-Map
            Think mine was more than that this year. I believe it is $600 and change now!

Comment

Scratch that

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
              Think mine was more than that this year. I believe it is $600 and change now!
              Sorry, forgot i put in for Mule deer tag! His numbers were correct, $500 and change!

Comment

Wow! Never imagined it being that much.. I would hope the probability of being drawn is at least fairly high..

Comment

Chances are still pretty good, but finding walk in ground that isn't stomped on is pretty tough. I hunt private and don't think I would spend the money if I was hunting strictly public. But there are big deer to be killed there.

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                    Wow! Never imagined it being that much.. I would hope the probability of being drawn is at least fairly high..

Look into missouri, over the counter tag for $225...

Comment

Would love to hunt Missouri as well.. is it the same thing as KS? Public land?

Comment

You can find outfitters but there is also some really good public land up there. I've hunted in northeast Missouri the last 2 years on some private land a buddy found, it's beautiful country and huge deer.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                          You can find outfitters but there is also some really good public land up there. I've hunted in northeast Missouri the last 2 years on some private land a buddy found, it's beautiful country and huge deer.
                          Yall buy or you a guest? Just curious..

Comment

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
                            Sorry, forgot i put in for Mule deer tag! His numbers were correct, $500 and change!
                            $550 and change. 5 out of our 12 hunters didn't draw this year. Land owners expect lease payments even if you don't get a tag.

There is a lot of public land but if it's quality land then it was leased by outfitters long ago. Most of the public land left is open crop or crp fields which are best for quail hunting. There are still good public spots but be prepared for a lot of traffic in those locations.

Leasing is your best bet but knocking on doors looking for land is time consuming depending on your drive.

Comment

Working...
                            X