No announcement yet.

Practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found an archery range that wasn't that far from the house. If I want to stay closer to home I will go find an empty lot, usually by some warehouses and set up there. Just make sure it is in a safe direction.

Comment

I'm living in the Ronald McDonald house while my son is in NICU. Can't tell you how many times I've scoped the place looking for an opportunity to bring my target and shoot. No luck so far lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

You guys that shoot in your backyard, arent you at least a little afraid of a possible mishap and one getting away from you? I hit the fence once and arrow went half way through. Ive read some horror stories about backyard shooting, so i stopped. But sure makes it hard to find some place.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
          I just set up in the backyard. I do have neighbors and privacy fences between them. If I can hear them outside or they are mowing, etc, I will just wait and practice another time. I can get 25yrds from fence to fence with THe BLock target set up.
          Same here with a few additions.

I shoot along the back fence facing only one neighbor. That neighbor has never ever been in their backyard. But I still check to make sure. On top of that I have 2 rubber stall mats bolted to the fence to make a very large 6'x8' back stop that arrows simply cannot go through. Then on top of that I make sure my target is within a foot of that for any potential glancing shots.

have been doing it that way for almost 6 years now.

Comment

I shoot 25 yds in the back yard and can get 20 shooting into the garage. I have a half sheet of 3/4 ply that I put up when shooting out back.

Comment

Practice??? We sittin hur talk'n 'bout practice. Not a game...not a game...not a game

Over 10 yrs old but I can't help but think about this whenever someone mentions practice
              Last edited by LWC; 10-04-2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
                Where do yall practice if you live in a neighborhood and really dont have any place you can go to get shots in? Or do yall practice in your backyard? Just trying to get some ideas.
                Don't yall practice in the gym?

Comment

Long years ago I lived in a neighborhood with a 6' tall wood fence.
                  I setup 2 1" plywood sheets in one corner with my deer target in front of it.

If I missed the deer, the arrow hitting the plywood would break my arrow.

I give that setup credit for me learning to really shoot my recurve.

Pain training.... If every time you shoot a poor arrow, it breaks it... you will concentrate on making better shots

Comment

Backyard. Target, backed by 4x8 sheet of plywood, privacy fence, at an angle so that I'm not shooting at the neighbors house. If anyone else is in their backyard I just wait.

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
                      You guys that shoot in your backyard, arent you at least a little afraid of a possible mishap and one getting away from you? I hit the fence once and arrow went half way through. Ive read some horror stories about backyard shooting, so i stopped. But sure makes it hard to find some place.
                      As others have mentioned hanging a stall mat or two on the fence will stop wayward arrows. (as long as you don't really screw up and shoot over the fence.) I built a target that is 30"x36" -- it is pretty hard to miss. I also use it as a backstop for my 3d deer because I occasionally miss it low.

Click image for larger version

Name:	target2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	24555519

Comment

I used to shoot in my backyard when I lived in a subdivision. It ALWAYS made me nervous. Shooting in my backyard with my rifle for the first time after moving to the country was AWESOME.

Life is short. Move out to land!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                          As others have mentioned hanging a stall mat or two on the fence will stop wayward arrows. (as long as you don't really screw up and shoot over the fence.) I built a target that is 30"x36" -- it is pretty hard to miss. I also use it as a backstop for my 3d deer because I occasionally miss it low.

[ATTACH]927406[/ATTACH]

What target is that? I like that setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I live in town but have a large lot so can get 70yds in my backyard

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                              Backyard. Target, backed by 4x8 sheet of plywood, privacy fence, at an angle so that I'm not shooting at the neighbors house. If anyone else is in their backyard I just wait.
                              I do this too. Have a board buried along fence too. That way it can't slide under fence. I can get a 20 yrd shot.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                                What target is that? I like that setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I posted the build waaay back in 2012 -

It is still holding up well. I shoot at both sides - every couple of years I replace the faces using indoor/outdoor carpet. I have also taken the top off a few times and rearranged/fluffed the stuffing.

Comment

Working...
                                X