Some good reading about acorns and "rotting" theories....by Ricky T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some good reading about acorns and "rotting" theories....by Ricky T

Since there is a lot of discussion about acorns here recently with the bumper crop we have had this year, I figured Ricky T's discussion should be brought back to the top. The theories varied but I'm hoping these rains brought a ton of burrowing insects. Otherwise it is gonna be a long season.

Bump

Comment

I liked at some acorns yesterday and even some that we're still on the tree had larva in the. Many were cracked open also.

Comment

Good read..........

Comment

Thanks for the re-post ! Pretty interesting stuff. We are dealing with a bumper crop of acorns at the lease right now.

Comment

Smart your season is over anyways my friend.

Comment

Lol I am very grateful in that aspect.

I still have a management deer and two does that arent coming to feeders now, plus I have 2 months of cheerleading for my fellow lease members .

Comment

Good read.

Comment

Very interesting. I'm wishing I had scouted better for my stand placements. I'm seeing deer pass up my feeder out of range to head into a group of oaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Lol I am very grateful in that aspect.

I still have a management deer and two does that arent coming to feeders now, plus I have 2 months of cheerleading for my fellow lease members .
                    guiding humper.

Comment

Annual bump for the acorn rotting folks..

Comment

Ttt

Comment

One year we didn't get any acorns at our place but we had a ton at the house so I filled a large garbage sack full of them and dumped a big pile at the ranch and my first sit in the stand a big 12 point jumped the fence and went straight to the pile I just poured out. That pile didn't last 2 days

Comment

My Dad used to have a large spanish oak in his yard that always had a good year. I raked up acorns in bags about what I normally fed in corn and put them in the freezer. I didn't start feeding them until the other acorns were gone. They really drew a lot of deer in and I killed many late season deer over them. I really miss that tree.

Comment

White Oaks don't need to be rotten no more edible than all the rest of the acorns.
                              So find you some white acorn trees and kill some deer.
                              Well if you're someplace besides East Texas then just throw some corn out let him hear it rattle and kill a deer

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X