Red Deer info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Deer info

Well I go on my Red Deer hunt this weekend that my daughter bought for me, wanted to see if anyone knows how good the meat is, thinking of making it all in Breakfast sausage and Hamburger, any thoughts.

God Bless
    Bish

I like it better than elk. Hard to turn big backstrap like that into sausage or hamburger in my opinion.

Comment

Heard it's like elk. Never had it though

Comment

bout like elk to me. very good

Comment

really good. Had all mine done into steak and stew meat.

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
            Heard it's like elk. Never had it though
            X2

Comment

Very good! If you like elk steak, you'll like red deer steak. Don't grind it all.

Comment

Only grind what you have to. Steak out the rest, really good stuff

Comment

It is very good, most of the folks that have taken one at my place, think it is just as good or better than Axis.

The parts you do grind make very good burger, chili meat and sausage but there are lots of good steaks and back straps too.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                    Only grind what you have to. Steak out the rest, really good stuff
                    This! Man I wish I had some left in the freezer!

Comment

Bish, make steak or stew meat out of every piece of it that you can... For my taste, it is the very best venison I have ever eaten.

Comment

Do the same as it was axis or elk meat.

Comment

10x better than elk in my opinion.

Comment

Bish, I am sorry to be the one that tells you the truth!
                            It is the most horrible meat that you could imagine eating.
                            I have an incinerator that I can put it in, if you will drop the meat off to me.
                            Send me a pm, and I will give you my address.
                            It needs to be deboned and sliced In to steaks and jerky links in order for the incinerator to burn it away. If you could soak it in Worcester sauce before you drop it off, it would surely help with the "disposal" process.

Comment

It’s very good. If you have the space, dry age it in quarters before you take it to the processor. Vacuum seal the loins yourself. Only get the trim ground into breakfast or other sausage. I’ve made taretar from part of a hindquarter and it was fine. Full disclosure, I don’t ever brine or marinate venison. I don’t fry it either. For loins and straps, I only season it with olive oil and salt and pepper. They go into a smoking hot grill or cast iron pan. If you prefer venison marinated, stuffed or bacon wrapped, I’m probably not any help. Obviously, stew cuts are treated differently. In my opinion, aged red deer loin is better than a prime filet. Treat it the same way. IIRC, when you buy venison commercially, you are buying red deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X