The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWP View Post
    Mountain House Scrambles with a tortilla are bad arse!!! Not sure why he was trying to cook dehydrated meals in a pan???? To each their own, just make darn sure to take things you will eat.

I know I can go stove less and be light, but I’ve found that after I’ve chased elk across blow downs, side hilled and pounded out several miles I won’t eat unless I’m very interested in what is for dinner. People talk trash about them, but them there Mountain Houses are mighty good when you are tired and the cold is coming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am not sure why we decided to put them in a titanium frying pan I guess just a weird Appalachian Trail decision ??? Anyway just to be clear these were not the mountain house eggs . I have never been disappointed with a mountain house meal and like you said I found them to be very good and very easy to make after a long day of hiking or hunting .

Comment

Mountain House Scrambles with a tortilla are bad arse!!! Not sure why he was trying to cook dehydrated meals in a pan???? To each their own, just make darn sure to take things you will eat.

I know I can go stove less and be light, but I’ve found that after I’ve chased elk across blow downs, side hilled and pounded out several miles I won’t eat unless I’m very interested in what is for dinner. People talk trash about them, but them there Mountain Houses are mighty good when you are tired and the cold is coming in.

I am gonna go stoveless in AZ. Hopefully we are truck camping and can have a good meal for breakfast and a good meal for dinner. But during the day and if we pack in I’m gonna bring pro bars greenbelly and butters.

Comment

x2

The Breakfast Scramble on a tortilla with some hot sauce (pilfered from fast food condiment stash) is my ULTIMATE morale meal on trail.

Pro tip...Pour boiling water into the pouch, let rehydrate, and then open a small slit in the zip and shake upside down to get rid of any excess water that might make it messy.

Comment

8 days worth of food, bow and backcountry gear made it to SLC. Quick Walmart stop for fresh food and a bow target, then hope to be glassing for muleys this evening in Eastern Nevada.

Comment

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Originally posted by Chris Martin View Post

8 days worth of food, bow and backcountry gear made it to SLC. Quick Walmart stop for fresh food and a bow target, then hope to be glassing for muleys this evening in Eastern Nevada.

Awesome! Good luck, Chris! Looking forward to the updates!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Martin View Post

Dude nice. I have 5 points in Nevada and am gonna start putting in for some archery deer tags out there next year

Comment

Do you realize how short days are in January? You will bring food to cook just to have something to do. Sunrise is 7:30 and sunset is 5:30. Lots of Copenhagen and hanging out between hours of sitting on your butt looking through glass.

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                I am gonna go stoveless in AZ. Hopefully we are truck camping and can have a good meal for breakfast and a good meal for dinner. But during the day and if we pack in I’m gonna bring pro bars greenbelly and butters.

Comment

Do you realize how short days are in January? You will bring food to cook just to have something to do. Sunrise is 7:30 and sunset is 5:30. Lots of Copenhagen and hanging out between hours of sitting on your butt looking through glass.
                  And it gets cold. Been to Arizona in January 3 times chasing mulies. Got down to 5 degrees a couple times. Couldn't even sit out by the fire..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    My brother moved there (Auckland) two years ago. I may need to pick your friend's brain soon!
                    I'll tell him to join the site. He's a Texas kid and a big Hunter he has some decent Intel. He wants me to go hunt there. Keeps telling me how good it is, lots of property to hunt and you don't have to spend the money like you do here

Comment

Just fully loaded up my pack for the first time to check weight with almost everything that will be in it. All that was lacking was my camera and the mountain house meals for dinner that I'm waiting on in the mail.

Total weight for a 7 day hunt including 2 liters water and bow - 37.8 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                        Just fully loaded up my pack for the first time to check weight with almost everything that will be in it. All that was lacking was my camera and the mountain house meals for dinner that I'm waiting on in the mail.

Total weight for a 7 day hunt including 2 liters water and bow - 37.8 pounds
                        That’s pretty light for a hunt. Very cool. I think you get the idea .

But yet I have to ask, why a Camera at all? carry your iPhone and use the iPhone camera?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                          That’s pretty light for a hunt. Very cool. I think you get the idea .

But yet I have to ask, why a Camera at all? carry your iPhone and use the iPhone camera?
                          The lightweight side of me says to use the phone but Ive been getting more interested in photography so I'm taking my DSLR camera. iPhone can't quite take pictures of the same quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
                            And it gets cold. Been to Arizona in January 3 times chasing mulies. Got down to 5 degrees a couple times. Couldn't even sit out by the fire..

I’ll take that! Better than this past November when I was sleeping on top of my dang bag!

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post

Not always, last year I drove through an ice storm in north Texas to hunt NM and **** near sweat to death.

Comment

One thing I forgot to add.. I signed up for Cody Rich Backcountry Fuel Box. Looks like you get some cool stuff in it and lots of new stuff to try..

Comment

Working...
                                X