About fed up with my AR- Accuracy issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radar View Post
    At one time ER Shaw made barrels for Anderson, or so I have been told. To the OP, your gonna have to buy a higher quality complete upper or take your upper to someone and let them put a better barrel and a free floated hand guard on it. The lower you have with the new trigger in it is just fine. My personal preference is the GI issue buttstock as I don’t think much of collapsible ones.
    Or do it yourself.

Comment

I personally have seen very little correlation between changing clamshell handguard to free float. My Colt 6933 still wears a drop in handguard that uses all the factory clamshell hardware and it shoots 1” or less with 70 grain plus Ammo.

I personally would contact Anderson and send it back with a sample target or two or at least pictures of targets.

There’s no reason it shouldn’t shoot around 1” in factory form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        I personally have seen very little correlation between changing clamshell handguard to free float. My Colt 6933 still wears a drop in handguard that uses all the factory clamshell hardware and it shoots 1” or less with 70 grain plus Ammo.

I personally would contact Anderson and send it back with a sample target or two or at least pictures of targets.

I have personally seen my POI shift with a colt 20"hBAR and standard handguard while shooting a group and moving the bag location. It does affect accuracy i.e. POI which affects group size

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

No doubt that this can happen with a very consistent shooter who sets up each shot exactly the same.

But there is no doubt that POI can be effected but inconsistent pressure on the front rest unless free floated

Comment

I had already decided I was going to take this route, but first back to the range for sample targets and let one of the range staff shoot a group from it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
              I have had my AR for about a year and have yet to really achieve what I consider respectable accuracy out of it. I can get about 2-3 in groups at 100 yds and 6+ at 200.

I have tried all types of ammo from light 55 gr- to heavier 73gr and in between . Poi changes but the groups stay loose regardless. I’m certainly no sniper but I can shoot 1” groups or better with my other rifles.

I upgraded the trigger to a 3.5# Velocity single stage last feb. While it helped, it only improved to the stats stated, before patterns were wider spread than that.

Shooting from a bench with a Caldwell solo.

Surely a mil spec/ factory AR is better than that?
              Most likely the problem is the throat or depth of the throat. I ran into that problem with my first AR, in 5.56. The mags are fairly short length wise front to rear inside the mags. So it limits the overall length of the loaded round. But then they cut the throats fairly deep. So what happens is the bullet when loaded into the chamber, it is quite a ways from the rifling. That hurts accuracy a lot. I finally found a bullet that allows the bullet to get much closer to the rifling lands, it made a huge difference in accuracy. The gun went from a best of 1 1/2" groups with any of the bullet I loaded or any factory loaded ammo, to 1/4" groups pretty consistently. My eye sight is now the limiting factor for the accuracy of the gun.

The fix for that problem, is either to hand load some of the same bullets I have been using, or see if you can find another bullet that is similar in shape, but I don't think you will find many others with the same shape. The bullet fix is a Speer 52 gr. hollow point.

The other option, is to replace the barrel with a 223 Wylde chambered barrel. Barrels with that chambering will shoot both 5.56 and 223 ammo much more accurately than any 5.56 chambered barrel. If you are going to do that, try to find one with 5R rifling. Then pick a rifling rate of twist that works with the bullets you want to shoot most often.

Another possibly problem, is the barrel might be loose in the upper receiver. I had that problem on another AR, I spent quite a while trying to figure out what the problem was, then finally removed the barrel and found it fit in the upper very loosely. I could see signs of where the barrel had been walking around under the barrel nut. I replaced the upper receiver and then also put sleeve retainer in the bore of the new upper receiver and around the outside of the barrel extension. Then installed the barrel into the new upper. That made a huge difference in accuracy with that gun. It went from shooting around 3" groups, to shooting 1/2" groups.

Comment

Most rifles will shoot better groups with a preferred load. But l read that 2-3" groups is a mil spec standard.

Comment

Love my 6.5 grendel. Look at sons of Liberty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As stated above, there are many possible reasons for the poor accuracy. One that came in a couple of months ago was traced to the gas block being installed canted to one side, causing the gas tube to contact the gas key and put sideways pressure on the BCG. Groups with factory WWB ammo went from 3"+ to less than an inch @ 100. Another thing to keep in mind is that chrome-lined barrels will almost always (not 100%) be less accurate than an unlined barrel, but it depends on the uniformity of the lining job. Also, with a factory HG, if it's got a smaller profile barrel, it will be much more prone to flex due to pressure on the HG than a heavy barrel, so you may try shooting it off of a bag or rest with no additional pressure and see if the groups change. I agree that all of the basics need to be thoroughly checked before replacing parts, but I would highly recommend a free-float tube or HG.

Comment

Any updates

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                        If the barrel is not floating and you are shooting a standard clamshell handguard you will NEVER achieve consistent accuracy. Period.
                        You can get consistent accuracy from a non-floating handguard if you use a tight loop sling like in Marine Corps boot camp qualification day. You just won't have any blood flow in your left arm.

Comment

OP, has anyone else shot this gun with same ammo and produced identically bad performance?

Comment

Originally posted by banzai View Post
                            You can get consistent accuracy from a non-floating handguard if you use a tight loop sling like in Marine Corps boot camp qualification day. You just won't have any blood flow in your left arm.
                            Marine Corps Qualification accuracy and what I call accuracy are 2 very different things. If I do not have 3 holes touching I am not happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                              Marine Corps Qualification accuracy and what I call accuracy are 2 very different things. If I do not have 3 holes touching I am not happy.
                              Yeah Im not a minute of person shooter either. Who was it that said only accurate guns are interesting? Im with that guy!

Comment

I would really look at that crossfire scope, not the best quality and could be the culprit. Also shoot off of bags, lead sleds are not the best for accuracy. If that doesn't fix it, lots of other good info has already been shared.
                                Last edited by tgridley; 02-05-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X