Fly gear for a beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fly gear for a beginner

Thinking of taking the plunge into fly fishing. I mostly fish for reds and trout on the coast. Any recommendations for a decent setup without going broke?

Fly gear for a beginner

You can get Redington fly rods and reels pretty cheap. I have a 3 piece 8 wt for redfish. Not the fanciest set up, but it works well. I use a weight forward floating line. Can’t remember the brand as it had been a few years since I bought it.

Edit: One other thing, find a tackle shop and go get the feel for the rods and reels. Not reason to order something you won’t be happy with. For example, Roys in Corpus carries a bunch of salt water fly gear. I think the Bass Pro in Katy does also, but it has been years since I’ve been there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SoTXAg06; 04-22-2018, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
      Thinking of taking the plunge into fly fishing. I mostly fish for reds and trout on the coast. Any recommendations for a decent setup without going broke?
      There are plenty of good kits out there, as said above, Reddington is good, TFO has some good kits, you probably would be good on a kit from Bass Pro or Cabelas if you just want to get your feet wet in trying it out as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
        If you are gonna flyfish, you will tie your own flies. Craigslist, Southeastx.com, any classifieds you can search and get high dollar gear for half price. I have a Project Wounded Warriors flyrod off of Temple Fork Outfitters, however they just swapped ownership so be aware of that. I put a 7-8 Okuma saltwater flyreel on it and it is wonderful. Rod and reel cost me $230, for my budget that's highend.

Fly tying I bought a beginners kit, used it for 20 years and recently replaced with a more expensive, higher quality vice last year.

I have a nice Reddington for bream/panfish, it works great.

When you start testing rods, they each load differently and will feel differently even though they may be the same weight. You will probably want a rod you can get a little more distance with. If you have the opportunity, test as many as you can before spending a big amount of change. In the mean time, get a inexpensive kit and get after it.

Youtube is your friend for all things flyfishing/flytying
        Last edited by lovemylegacy; 04-22-2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          If you are gonna flyfish, you will tie your own flies. Craigslist, Southeastx.com, any classifieds you can search and get high dollar gear for half price. I have a Project Wounded Warriors flyrod off of Temple Fork Outfitters, however they just swapped ownership so be aware of that. I put a 7-8 Okuma saltwater flyreel on it and it is wonderful. Rod and reel cost me $230, for my budget that's highend.

Fly tying I bought a beginners kit, used it for 20 years and recently replaced with a more expensive, higher quality vice last year.

I have a nice Reddington for bream/panfish, it works great.

When you start testing rods, they each load differently and will feel differently even though they may be the same weight. You will probably want a rod you can get a little more distance with. If you have the opportunity, test as many as you can before spending a big amount of change. In the mean time, get a inexpensive kit and get after it.

Youtube is your friend for all things flyfishing/flytying
          Thanks for the tips I’ll start searching the classifieds here and various forums.

Comment

There are good, inexpensive options out there for getting into the game. But the biggest thing I'd recommend is to take two or three casting lessons before you buy a fly rod. You will be able to tell a lot more about which fly rod feels better to you if you have an idea of what a good cast should look like and feel like. After that, find someone in your area that fly fishes a lot, and become their side kick on fishing expeditions.

Try to be open minded, willing to take constructive criticism. Most fly rods are capable of doing far more than their owner realizes, because good casting hinges on good technique. There is always something to be learned when you are fly fishing, so be willing to change, adapt, and take advice. It'll take you a long way in that journey!

Comment

Working...
            X