Educate me on Chickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me on Chickens

Wanting to get into chickens; but have absolutely no experience in regards.

We have horses and goats and have for years. Though chickens would be a good lesson learned for the whole family.

I have 15' x 10' section of the barn vacant (to do as I need to in order to place the chickens). Could move some things around to have a 20' x 10' section if needed.

We currently purchase our eggs from a in town farmer.

I have no idea where to start, and not afraid of work.

Thoughts, comments, Do's & Dont's welcomed and appreciative.

Most people either punch a hole in the side of the barn and fence in an outside run for barn chickens, or open the cage door and let them cruise around in the day time. They are pretty good about putting themselves up at night and all you should have to do is shut the door behind them. If you plan on doing one of these, the size of the actual coop doesn't matter at all. Just throw a couple waterers and feed pans in it, and a few nest boxes for them to lay eggs in and full them with hay, shavings or anything similar. This is all I can think of off the top of my head, but if you have any specific questions just holler at me.

Comment

Fresh water, food, and shelter from wind and rain is most important. A 15x10 area can house a mess of chickens. Give em perches to get em up off the floor, plenty of nest boxes to lay their eggs in and allow em time out in the sun. If you free range em, lock em up at night. Roosters aren't necessary for egg production, but they'll guard the flock and I think it actually helps the hens with egg production, since he's gonna be spending most his free time tuning up his girls.

Comment

All I know is when you get to many chickens eat a couple...

Comment

The best thing you can call a chicken or a horse for that matter is "SOLD"

Comment

The horses I do for the wife and kids. I'm over them if you ask me. Especially during the winter time they are no more than big pasture pets. But if momma ain't happy. I'm sure you know the tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum Fat View Post
              Fresh water, food, and shelter from wind and rain is most important. A 15x10 area can house a mess of chickens. Give em perches to get em up off the floor, plenty of nest boxes to lay their eggs in and allow em time out in the sun. If you free range em, lock em up at night. Roosters aren't necessary for egg production, but they'll guard the flock and I think it actually helps the hens with egg production, since he's gonna be spending most his free time tuning up his girls.
              What's a good number on chickens? Or does it really matter?

Comment

I know that sometimes a chicken will just cross the road….for any number of reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by thehunted View Post
                  Pretty close to the same number of eggs you think you can eat or get rid of every day. A chicken lays an egg about every 26 hours, so dang near every day. It doesn't matter how many chickens you get, but watch out or else your fridge will be slam full of eggs.

Comment

If you don't cage them in some kind of coupe, get ready for everything you own to be covered in chicken poop.

If you don't want to cage em, clip their wings every couple of months so they cant fly away. That way only the stuff they can reach will be pooped on.

Comment

Originally posted by kwperry View Post
                      Pretty close to the same number of eggs you think you can eat or get rid of every day. A chicken lays an egg about every 26 hours, so dang near every day. It doesn't matter how many chickens you get, but watch out or else your fridge will be slam full of eggs.
                      This

Comment

Originally posted by thehunted View Post
                        Some nerd once came up with a specific square footage per chicken number once but I never paid attention to it. I think it was 4 sq ft per bird. But each situation is different...you may have 15ft ceilings in your barn! Just as long as you have plenty of perch space, they'll either huddle up or space out depending on the temp.

I have my laying chickens in a small 8x10 shed that is 6' tall. I have about 14 hens and a big greasy rooster that are all spread out with plenty of perch space for roosting.

Comment

I have 5 hens and a rooster. They are outside in the day and put themselves up in the evening. I close the door to keep the coons and yotes out. Snakes can be the biggest problem if they can get in the coop when the door is closed.
                          Lock them up in the coop for three or four days and they'll always come in in the evening themselves after that. I give away eggs to neighbors every week. Some double yokers too. They are amusing to watch and the eggs are great!
                          Good luck.

Comment

They are good fried !

Comment

Slaughtering and new chicks this weekend. Eggs, yum. Poop yep. Easy goings

Comment

Working...
                              X