Water trough question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water trough question

i Have a 250 gallon holding tank for my water trough that I put out for deer. what can I put in there to keep algae from building up, and how much?

Never mind, just read it's not for the actual trough but the water tank.

Comment

Start by putting about 4 coats of black paint to block out any light, I put about 8 ounces of Clorox to every 100 gallons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IbeHuntn View Post
        Start by putting about 4 coats of black paint to block out any light, I put about 8 ounces of Clorox to every 100 gallons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ok I will paint it, I thought about Clorox, that won’t leave a smell or taste that the deer will avoid?

Comment

I always just throw a couple pool chlorine tablets in mine

Comment

We put a few perch in ours to keep the to bugs down. Seems to help with the algae too.

Comment

A little bleach should help. 2 drops per gallon is safe for human consumption.

Comment

I painted mine black, and I put 1/4-1/3 of a 1 gallon bottle of bleach in mine each fill. Deer and turkey drink it like.... well .......water.. You can smell is lightly when filling but it dissipates and I can't smell it on the trough ever. You figure your trough is exposed to the sun all day and the water trickles in via the float very slowly when its needed so it never gets over powering for the deer.

No algae problems since 2013 running 4 tanks....
                Last edited by Smart; 06-10-2018, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X