Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
Tradman1971
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora (own 200 acres)
Default Pig Trap Dispatch

Will .22 Subsonic ammo penetrate a pigs skull shot from a pistol from just a few feet away?
Tradman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
Twist
Four Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

The skull itself? Doubtful but you could probably drop it by hitting it behind the ear at that range.
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Man after a week of trapping the 22 with both sub and standard took awhile. I think I will pick up a 22 mag for trapping.
myway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
Walker
Ten Point

Yes it will. Old wives tale about bullets bouncing off pig skulls. Draw imaginary lines from eyes diagonal to the opposite ear. Where those lines cross is you aim point.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradman1971 View Post
Will .22 Subsonic ammo penetrate a pigs skull shot from a pistol from just a few feet away?
From the side it will, face on they can skip off.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #6
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Yes it will. Old wives tale about bullets bouncing off pig skulls. Draw imaginary lines from eyes diagonal to the opposite ear. Where those lines cross is you aim point.
BS on it being a wives tale........

I had a .30-06 deflect of a pigs skull and watched (confirmed on skinning) 5 .22 bullets flatten out on a pig skull.

That bring said. I use a suppressed .22 all the time to do it. If it does not work the second shot is with the suppressed .45.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #7
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default Pig Trap Dispatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
BS on it being a wives tale........

I had a .30-06 deflect of a pigs skull and watched (confirmed on skinning) 5 .22 bullets flatten out on a pig skull.

That bring said. I use a suppressed .22 all the time to do it. If it does not work the second shot is with the suppressed .45.

I wasnít there so I wonít say BS on the 30.06 but I do know enough about ballistics to say color me REALLY skeptical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Mike D; 01-13-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
I've never had any problems doing pigs in the trap with sub sonic ammo, whether from a revolver or rifle. Down and dead either aimed as Walker posted above or on a line between the ear hole and eye from the side.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

I've had a 300blk sub skip off of a pigs head. I think it was the angle more than anything. And maybe it didn't skip off, but it dang sure didn't kill him and I heard it buzzing through the air after impact.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
Kurdawg
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sam Rayburn

I will say this I know for a FACT that a 45 acp full metal jacket will not penetrate a bulls skull from a few feet away, it will flatten out and fall off. Now a 44 mag hollow point will, also a .45 hollow point will. I haven't tried a .22 on a pig, but I know a .22 mag does the job perfectly.
Kurdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #11
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdawg View Post
I will say this I know for a FACT that a 45 acp full metal jacket will not penetrate a bulls skull from a few feet away, it will flatten out and fall off. Now a 44 mag hollow point will, also a .45 hollow point will. I haven't tried a .22 on a pig, but I know a .22 mag does the job perfectly.
I have a real hard time believing that but I guess anything is possible

We've killed a bunch of pigs in traps or over dogs with .22 long rifle out of rifles and pistols
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #12
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
I would think that a FMJ bullet would penetrate much better than a hollow point.
Katch66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #13
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I wasnít there so I wonít say BS on the 30.06 but I do know enough about ballistics to say color me REALLY skeptical.

100yds looking at me. Right between the eyes. Knocked her out and as I was walking up she got up and ran off. Another hunter at a feeder about 400yds away shot her 30 min later.

Bullet deflected off the front of the skull. Just cut open the skin like a knife.

Shocked the hell outta me too. And If I was in your shoes I would be real skeptical as well.

Last time I shot one from the front. Only side shots from then on.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #14
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Guess the 100s of pigs I have killed with .45 FMJ were all flukes. Good to know.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #15
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Guess the 100s of pigs I have killed with .45 FMJ were all flukes. Good to know.
A bull is a lot bigger than a pig
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #16
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
A bull is a lot bigger than a pig
My bad.......He said bull......I read pig since we were talking about pigs.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #17
TCB
Ten Point

My sons first pig was killed in a trap with his .177 air rifle. We gave him first shot thinking we’d have to finish it off with a pistol or bow. One shot dead between the eyes at 10 yards.

Pig went stiff legged like a looney toon cartoon and feel over dead. Me and my buddy looked at each other and said “did you video that?” Of course both our phones were in our pockets.
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #18
sharpstick35
Four Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

i've killed hundreds in pen traps with a .22lr. every one up to 160 pounds was dead where it stood.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #19
FF36
Eight Point

Hunt In: Laneville/Erath County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick35 View Post
i've killed hundreds in pen traps with a .22lr. every one up to 160 pounds was dead where it stood.
Same here. Never had a issue. Right in the head-dead. Sat em down on the spot.
FF36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #20
Randell
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos county

How’s wife you been talking about this with???
Randell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #21
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Angle of the shot is everything. I've killed a bunch of hogs, a Bull, and a Donkey with a 22lr Perpendicular to the forehead.
Dead Center of the "X" from Ears to Eyes. Makes a .22 diameter hole and drops like a sack of wet turds.
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #22
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, NM, CO

My family butchers or own beef and pork, and have over 50 years. We use a 22 lr to put them down in a cattle trailer from 15 /20 ft. Steers up to 1200 lbs drop in their tracks. Pigs as described above , steers a line across from top of eyes then up 3/4 to 1Ē. I have been watching YouTube videos today of pig trappers using sub sonic out of rifles with silencers shooting over 20 pigs. Just have to hit them in the right spot.
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 06:40 AM   #23
Bowyer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Oklahoma

It's been my experience that a pig willing to stand still and let me draw imaginary X's on its face will usually just take it's clothes off and jump in the pot if I ask real nice.
For the other pigs that won't be still I prefer a high power rifle.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Bowyer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #24
rosco11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

I would think a cheap ammo fmj 9mm would be a good choice for multiple pigs in a trap. Never done it but it would definitely have more stank on it than a sub anything. Why do some of you guys use subs for this anyway? Just asking, is there a purpose for quiet rounds for this? No experience here.. curious though, we might be setting up a trap at our place.
rosco11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 07:58 AM   #25
Patriot-2000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Texas

I have gone to 9mm Cheap FMJ on hogs buta 22 Mag with FMJ will work in the right spot ... Others will say a 22 LR is good but I din't like multiple shots in the "Sweat Spot" to effectively kill.. Some folks this is OK but any animal deserves a quick humane Kill ..
Patriot-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #26
billfromtx
Pope & Young

I’ve killed a pile of hogs in a trap, of all sizes with a 22lr between the eyes.
billfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #27
WTJim
Eight Point

cheapest 22LR you can get in the right spot will do them in. Shoot em, drag them out of trap and under a good oak then slit the jugular to bleed out. Tree will benefit from blood and when bled easier to process IMO
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #28
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I've ear holed a hog caught in a snare 6 times with a .22lr and each time I shot he'd just shake his head and hit the end of that snare. One bullet penetrated the skull. The only reason I know is because I have the skull.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #29
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
I've ear holed a hog caught in a snare 6 times with a .22lr and each time I shot he'd just shake his head and hit the end of that snare. One bullet penetrated the skull. The only reason I know is because I have the skull.
It will do the job...........sometimes.

I still prefer the suppressed .45acp.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #30
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
Angle of the shot is everything.
This X2.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #31
tminc
Eight Point

Hunt In: burnet county,mexico

yes, .22 subs will work just fine
tminc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #32
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Why even use subsonic when you can buy a big ole box of the cheap stuff that's much faster and it's will do the job just fine. I think, unless you're dealing with a really big, really old boar, it is highly unlikely(if you know what the heck you're doing) that you need anything more than some standard 22LR ammo to put down pigs in a trap. Now I've heard stories from my dad, from way back in the day when my grandparents used to butcher hogs, and they shot this big ole hog right between the eyes several times, and it would just stun him, and he would get back up. I don't remember the details exactly what they did to finally kill him, but when they skinned out the scull, there where just cracks between the eyes where they shot him. Who knows what kind of ammo they where using. My dad used to use .22 shorts a lot when he was a kid. But this was a domestic hog shot right between the eyes. As far as the 30-06 skipping off the skull........maybe somebody grazed a hogs head with a 30-06, that's possible, but come on.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #33
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Why even use subsonic when you can buy a big ole box of the cheap stuff that's much faster and it's will do the job just fine. I think, unless you're dealing with a really big, really old boar, it is highly unlikely(if you know what the heck you're doing) that you need anything more than some standard 22LR ammo to put down pigs in a trap. Now I've heard stories from my dad, from way back in the day when my grandparents used to butcher hogs, and they shot this big ole hog right between the eyes several times, and it would just stun him, and he would get back up. I don't remember the details exactly what they did to finally kill him, but when they skinned out the scull, there where just cracks between the eyes where they shot him. Who knows what kind of ammo they where using. My dad used to use .22 shorts a lot when he was a kid. But this was a domestic hog shot right between the eyes. As far as the 30-06 skipping off the skull........maybe somebody grazed a hogs head with a 30-06, that's possible, but come on.
Deflection of the frontal plate when looking at me. I was there, I made the shot, I cleaned the animal. It happened.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #34
Merc
Eight Point

Hunt In: Vanderpool/Alaska...

It'll work, best spot is behind the ear.

I had a "buddy" shoot a big boar in between the eyes 4 or 5 times and they all just flattened against the skull under the skin.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #35
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
It'll work, best spot is behind the ear.

I had a "buddy" shoot a big boar in between the eyes 4 or 5 times and they all just flattened against the skull under the skin.
I have seen that as well with sows over #150.

Best spot is to let them charge you and grab the cage then shoot straight down between the axis and the skull .
Old 02-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #36
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, NM, CO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWfk...&feature=share
The op question was will 22 subsonic ammo penetrate. I think this answers that question. These guys say they have killed over 10000 hogs. They do it for a living. This is also one reason you would want to be quiet. For me I want to be quiet during deer season because I have noticed when high powered rifles start going off my deer become nocturnal. I have never used sub sonic but I would if I had a gun with a silencer. I have never had a problem with my 22 and in most cases one shot does the trick.
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #37
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Quote:
Nope. Have seen it
.22 mag with solids below the ear will work.
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #38
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
It will do the job...........sometimes.

I still prefer the suppressed .45acp.
Yep that'd get the job done I'd imagine. That boar I shot was hardcore. Took one 95 grain Ballistic Tip and six 22 bullets like a champ. I emptied the revolver and gave him another Nosler from point blank. That was my introduction to just how tough hogs are.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #39
Coon
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

If a bullet can bounce off of water, why is it hard to believe that it could bounce off of an animal's skull?
Coon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #40
gumbl3
Ten Point

Hunt In: muenster

.22 between the eyes from point blank has always been plenty of medicine
gumbl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #41
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
some of those old wives tails have foundation in fact,, yes they can skip off!! not that they will every time but the likely hood goes up,,, you can kill one with an ice pick too,,, but like a 22 not the best choice, even though it can most certainly work,,,,, big difference between "can work" and " will work"
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #42
Homer75
Eight Point

Quote:
Deflection of the frontal plate when looking at me. I was there, I made the shot, I cleaned the animal. It happened.
So you did kill it😂😂
If you canít kill a pig with a 30-06 then you need to give up hunting or learn how to shoot..

Go ahead and tell me you were a sniper as your resumť!
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #43
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon View Post
If a bullet can bounce off of water, why is it hard to believe that it could bounce off of an animal's skull?

This will only happen at extreme angles. I suppose if the angle is extreme a Bullet might bounce off a pig skull but any semblance of straight in shot ainít gonna happen.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #44
sticks
Six Point

Hunt In: brownwood/may tx

i had a big boar die when he heard my name...
sticks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #45
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
So you did kill it😂😂
If you canít kill a pig with a 30-06 then you need to give up hunting or learn how to shoot..

Go ahead and tell me you were a sniper as your resumť!
Knocked it down. I went to drag it from under the feeder and it got up. Shook her head and walked off.

30-40 min later a buddy at a feeder 400-500 yds away shot it after giving me hell like you are for it not being possible and that I missed.

When they are looking right at you do not shoot them between the eyes at 100 yds. Wait for them to turn.

Granted that is the only time that has ever happened to me.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #46
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
This will only happen at extreme angles. I suppose if the angle is extreme a Bullet might bounce off a pig skull but any semblance of straight in shot ainít gonna happen.

X2
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #47
Thetoe
Spike

I regularly shoot trapped hogs with subsonic .22s out of a pistol. Doesn't get much lower power than that. Shoot them in the top of the head between the ears and they drop instantly every time. Much quieter, easier, and safer than a higher power weapon.
Thetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #48
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

As said shoot in the ear they will drop like a light then get in there and cut the throat need to bleed them out good anyway. I shot one in the ear at 30 yds with a .22 pistol and dropped him.
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #49
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas
Default .22

bam
.22 in the ear 30 yds
Attached Images

mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top