New to bows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to bows

Other than camp as a kid, I am new to the bow scene. I got a Mission Endeavor to get me started and all the fixings that the shop recommended. Practiced a little and took down a 250-300# boar last weekend. Wanted to post pics, but I think they are to large from my phone so will have to do so when I get back to a computer. Anyway, I am upset that I did not start archery hunting sooner. I have a lot to learn. Can anyone recommend the best books, magazines, etc to get me going? Would like to learn more about the equipment, kinetic energy, arrow & broadhead weighs and the pro's/cons from going lighter or heavier. Thanks!

All the information you need hangs out on this site and others!

Only problem with magazines are the bias towards advertisers of their magazine.

Comment

AV, where are you located? I'd suggest a Bowhunter Ed course, not required in Texas except for a couple of spots. I'm a instructor in the DFW area, so I'm partial to the course.

The book I review a couple times a year is- Bowhunting Tactics of the Pros, Lamar Underwood.

Comment

I'm in Houston. Thanks, ill check out the book.

Comment

Razorback, I am also just getting interested in archery and bow hunting. Where do you teach at? I'm doing a lot of research now and hope to purchase a bow after the Christmas holidays. Can't wait to join the club!

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
            All the information you need hangs out on this site and others!

Only problem with magazines are the bias towards advertisers of their magazine.
            X2

Comment

If you need questions answered, you came to the right place.

Comment

You need to go to Banana bend archery club tournaments this spring and Buffalo Archery club events. You will increase your ability to aim and shoot and meet a lot of people with a lot of experience. You may hear 10 different ways to do the same thing, you then see which way fits you the best. Archery clubs may be the best way to learn. Salt grass also has some good hunters.
                Last edited by old killer; 11-28-2012, 09:33 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Here is some good reading on KE and Momentum and a few other little tidbits.

I agree with some of the posters about this being the best site to get your questions answered. Lots of great folks here with a ton of experience in all areas of bows and bowhunting!

Comment

Practice, Practice and get educated.

Comment

I am really impressed with the fellowship on this site! Although I am new to this site I'm not so new to the Bow Hunting thing, although it has been years since I have picked one up, (think 12-15 years) I recently acquired a Mission Mathews Maniac. The advancements are crazy and I feel like I did when starting with my recurve 35+ years ago. Thanks to all for the advice and knowledge shared on here!

Be Blessed, JC

Comment

Also pretty new to archery, trying to get my now kill this fall, been shooting a couple of years. New to this site as well but there is more knowledge here than you can shake a stick at.

Comment

Welcome, glad im not the only newbie!:

Comment

welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                              AV, where are you located? I'd suggest a Bowhunter Ed course, not required in Texas except for a couple of spots. I'm a instructor in the DFW area, so I'm partial to the course.

The book I review a couple times a year is- Bowhunting Tactics of the Pros, Lamar Underwood.
                              I'm also looking to get into it and live in DFW. Where do you instruct? I'll be buying after I see what Bowtech comes out with for 2013.

Comment

Working...
                              X