No announcement yet.

Hog Harvesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last big pig i killed (300 lbs) went right in the roaster oven and he ate good. I have had big pigs not taste good but most big pigs I've killed ate just as good as the 100 pounders.

Comment

Tpwd change the law a few years back to allow hog hunting without a license on your own land or with written permission.

Comment

your covered up in pigs!

Comment

Originally posted by dharris View Post
          Tpwd change the law a few years back to allow hog hunting without a license on your own land or with written permission.
          Refer to post 8

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
            Correct! but technically if its your land(or you have the landowners permission) and can prove they are tearing it up you dont even need a license!

Ill eat anything under 200lbs but those small ones are best!
            +1

Make yourself a good trap out of t-post and hog wire and trap them suckers!

Comment

I killed 2 little 40-50lbers this weekend almost got the 3rd one but he got away. Not alot of fat on those little ones.

Comment

All Those Look Good!!!

Comment

any pig will eat good. It is alll in a matter of how you handle the meat. I have eaten boars that were well over 300lbs that tasted just as good as a 50lb sow.

I like to soak the meat on the bigger ones in ice water for about a week. Drain excess water everyday and top off with fresh ice. It will pull a lot of the blood out of the meat and help make it tender.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                    If you're hunting in a stand, over a corn feeder, technically you are not legal without a license, plus, if you do kill them under the depredation clause, you have to leave them lay.
                    Do you have a link to this in the regulations? I looked on TPWD website and all I can find is this:

Exceptions: a hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

•Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack, or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowl.
                    •Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.
                    •Fur-bearing animals, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license or if the fur-bearing animals are causing depredation.
                    Note: All laws and regulations governing hunter education still apply.

It says "take" and doesn't say what you can and can't do with them. I'm not saying you're wrong, but this brings up a whole big debate. If hogs are livestock and not wildlife, then they belong to the landowner, not the "state", or the people and you don't have to have a hunting license to kill your livestock. Or, if someone has a pig farm with large pastures and he goes out to feed his pigs and sees one that needs to be put down, is he subject to arrest if he kills it right then?
                    I'm sorry to hijack Barbara's thread, but these regs on hogs have always puzzled me. It seems the state wants to control them but not be responsible for controlling them.
                    Dave

Comment

If you hunt without a license two things must happen.

1) You have to be able to show they are detrimental to the property.

2) You can NOT keep the meat or any part of the hog.
                      Last edited by Cuz; 04-11-2011, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
                        If you hunt without a license two things must happen.

1) You have to be able to show they are detrimental to the property.

2) You can NOT keep the meet or any part of the hog.
                        Where does it say this?!?
                        Dave

Comment

Coon,

I just know from asking our gamewarden in limestone county. He told me...
                          Quote:

"If you can show me where the hogs are tearing up your grounds and if you take nothing from the hog, you or anyone you allow on your land does NOT need a hunting license."

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
                            Coon,

I just know from asking our gamewarden in limestone county. He told me...
                            Quote:

"If you can show me where the hogs are tearing up your grounds and if you take nothing from the hog, you or anyone you allow on your land does NOT need a hunting license."
                            You forgot:
                            "..or if run hog dogs that travel on to other people's property... you don't need a license.. because the dog doesn't understand 'licenses' and you are in no way obligated to control what he does or where he goes..."

Comment

i'd eat any of the ones in those pics

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara View Post
                                Hogs are going to overun the property soon. What size of hog is good to get enough meat from? Here's a couple of photo of what we have to work with:

I understand according to TWPD a feral hog can be hunted anytime and there isn't a limit, just so the person has a hunting license.
                                True.

FYI - I have a hunting license and will be happy to help address your hog problem..

Comment

Working...
                                X