Mid sized "off-road" trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid sized "off-road" trucks

Anyone on here have the Tacoma TRD Pro or the Chevy ZR2? I'm thinking about giving my wife my '17 F150 and getting one of these mid sized trucks next spring. I drive 30-35k miles per year and never pull anything so I'd like to save a little gas money and still have some off-road capability. She doesn't drive far at all to work and wants to get out of her car. I'm curious if any of you have these specific models and what kinds of pros and cons you have ran into. I'm a Toyota fan but I've read good things about the ZR2 and the ZR2 Bison will be released in January.

You won't save much in gas, both Tacoma and Chevy V6's like to drink. I had 2 S10's with the 4.3 and they got worse gas mileage than both of my V8 Silverado's.

Those are both nice looking trucks though. My friend has a 2016 TRD and loves it.

Comment

Will not save gas with the Tacoma. However you will gain some awesome off road ability. Also easier to park if you live the city life. Love the taco

Comment

The colorados and canyons are cool trucks, but the toyota is hard to beat IMO.

The only draw back to these smaller trucks is the fact they cost dang near what a 1/2 ton cost.

The Colorado does have a diesel option.

Comment

Not really pertinent but I traded my Tundra for a TRD Pro 4Runner this year and that thing will go ANYWHERE!!! Super impressed with it's off-road capabilities.

Comment

I love my taco
            Attached Files

Comment

You aint Savin no gas with a tacoma

Comment

Can't beat the Tacoma for reliability as well as resale value.

Comment

I believe the Ford Ranger is suppose to be our early spring. Just to muddy the water more for you. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the input guys... The big plus for me right now is Toyota's resale value vs Chevy. Although, as much as it pains me to say it, it appears as if the ZR2 may be a tad more off-road capable with the front and rear lockers coming standard. The price points are about the same...both cost too much lol.

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                    Not really pertinent but I traded my Tundra for a TRD Pro 4Runner this year and that thing will go ANYWHERE!!! Super impressed with it's off-road capabilities.
                    Originally posted by DFA View Post
                    I love my taco

Nice rides!

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                    You aint Savin no gas with a tacoma
                    Yah I wondered if the mileage would actually be any better. What do these trucks realistically get for highway mpg?

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
                    I believe the Ford Ranger is suppose to be our early spring. Just to muddy the water more for you. LOL.

Yah I was looking at those but they I'm not used to the way they look yet. Not a fan of the body styling right now but they may grow on me. I'm also hesitant to buy a first year model of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                      Thanks for the input guys... The big plus for me right now is Toyota's resale value vs Chevy. Although, as much as it pains me to say it, it appears as if the ZR2 may be a tad more off-road capable with the front and rear lockers coming standard. The price points are about the same...both cost too much lol.

Nice rides!

Yah I wondered if the mileage would actually be any better. What do these trucks realistically get for highway mpg?

Yah I was looking at those but they I'm not used to the way they look yet. Not a fan of the body styling right now but they may grow on me. I'm also hesitant to buy a first year model of anything.

It’s not really all new. They have been selling around the world, they only stopped domestic sales. But I’m not a fan of the look either. The Toyota is the only one I think looks half decent

Comment

I’ve been researching the ZR2 diesel for some time, interesting little truck!

Comment

A few years ago I was thinking the same way you do so I traded my full sized Chevy for a T-100 4wd (Toyota). Big mistake. Whimpest vehicle I’ve ever had. It actually got worse gas mileage than the Chevy. That kinda soured me on Toyota. However I hear the newer full sized Toyota’s are okay. Last time I checked the medium sized ones cost as much as a full sized Chevy or Ford. Why penalize yourself like that? I will never buy a medium sized truck again. But everyone to their own likes.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
                            It’s not really all new. They have been selling around the world, they only stopped domestic sales. But I’m not a fan of the look either. The Toyota is the only one I think looks half decent

Yep I think the Taco is the best looking for my taste.

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                            I’ve been researching the ZR2 diesel for some time, interesting little truck!
                            I looked at the diesels too. The only consistent knock I hear about them is the underwhelming time it takes to hit highway speed. They say the torque is great at lower speeds but it feels like it struggles at higher speeds.

Comment

I have a 2017 Tacoma pro
                              the 14 MPG is the only thing I dislike about the truck.
                              I use to hunt out of and it will go pretty much any where a Polaris ranger will.
                              My place is a muddy mess and I have not stuck it yet

Comment

Working...
                              X