Keechi Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DirtyTail976 View Post
    I’ve been wondering the same. The 2nd group started yesterday but I haven’t heard or seen any threads from people hunting it.

Are you hunting the Nov.10-19 window jakefromtx?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah. I'm planing on getting there early Friday morning. I was going to camp there but it's looking like it's gonna rain so I may end up staying in a hotel. I just gotta wait till the dates get closer to see what the weather is like.

Comment

Anyone from here there this weekend. I went and sat in the woods Saturday morning and some yay-hoos over there drove around til about daylight. I thought they would never park and hunt. I can't imagine they had much luck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I will be there on the 10th me and my friend. Bring Rv camper staying 9 days.
        Looking foward to tracking sum deer. Looking for the mature bucks they should be moving due to the gun hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxdoubledown View Post
          I will be there on the 10th me and my friend. Bring Rv camper staying 9 days.
          Looking foward to tracking sum deer. Looking for the mature bucks they should be moving due to the gun hunters.
          I'll be there on the same dates. I'm hoping that all the rifle hunting will push the deer off the private land and back onto the WMA. I've heard the surrounding area is hunted pretty hard.

Comment

How long u staying?

Comment

A friend was there this past weekend. They saw does and hogs. 2 does where taken by other hunters he said

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Atxdoubledown View Post
                How long u staying?
                I'm staying till the 15th then heading down to LAWR for another draw hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                  Been there a couple of times on a youth hunt. Lot of deer and hogs there. Lots of underbrush. Don't remember which compartments we hunted. I took my 4 wheeler which will come in handy out there. I liked the place. Wished we had more time to hunt it than a day and half.
                  You mention compartments, did they actually have different "pastures" or fenced areas as compartments or did they just call out general areas?

I'm hunting the drawn hunt out at Keechi this coming week and I heard we are open to hunt anywhere. Coordination might be tricky like that though with 10 guys, compartmentalizing would make it easier. Just curious

Comment

You mention compartments, did they actually have different "pastures" or fenced areas as compartments or did they just call out general areas?

I'm hunting the drawn hunt out at Keechi this coming week and I heard we are open to hunt anywhere. Coordination might be tricky like that though with 10 guys, compartmentalizing would make it easier. Just curious
                    Back then it was broke up into compartments on the youth hunts. Way I understand this post card hunt, after a orientation, they turn yall loose on the whole place. If you can, check out this place. As you leave the check in station,(not far) turn back to your right. Then look for a bridge on the right. Cross that bridge and walk down that trail about 100 to 200 yds. Good deer crossing there. Me and my son shared that compartment with a dad and daughter. She shot at a big buck there. All we found was a wad of white hair. Figured she shaved the belly line. Never found one drop of blood. Then there's another place I found, but don't think I could explain how to find it but had very good luck there.

Comment

Hopefully they don't get much more rain sunday, just like richland creek they like to cancel hunts because of rain in these drainages.

Comment

Back then it was broke up into compartments on the youth hunts. Way I understand this post card hunt, after a orientation, they turn yall loose on the whole place. If you can, check out this place. As you leave the check in station,(not far) turn back to your right. Then look for a bridge on the right. Cross that bridge and walk down that trail about 100 to 200 yds. Good deer crossing there. Me and my son shared that compartment with a dad and daughter. She shot at a big buck there. All we found was a wad of white hair. Figured she shaved the belly line. Never found one drop of blood. Then there's another place I found, but don't think I could explain how to find it but had very good luck there.

Thanks sqiggy, I'll be sure to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My ex family's ranch butted up to the back of it off Country Rd 236. Once the 13" rule was put in place the deer we're constantly getting bigger. Miss that place a ton!!

Comment

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
                            4 years ago I saw one of the biggest east texas bucks I've ever seen (mid 170's ten ptr) that was right by Keechi Creek WMA. He was in a field off Hwy 542 with 6 other bucks chasing a doe for 20 mins. They're were approx. 15 does out there and he would chase her back and forth and try to keep the younger bucks away from her. This went on until I had to leave. (Doe eventually laid down in the field after she couldn't get away from he.) He looked just like a cutting horse. One of the prettiest things you could imagine. He was about 500 yds off the Hwy and I was trying to take pics of him through my binocs I keep in the truck.... I'll see if I can find them.

Was that off 542 and 3178?

Comment

Describe this bridge?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Last edited by bigdaddy590; 11-08-2017, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X