DIY concrete staining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY concrete staining

Anybody ever stain your own concrete? This is a new slab has does not have a building on it yet. Is it worth paying someone to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did my own, look at the floors www.bellavitafarmstx.com I used acetone dye which has more colors and easier to use than an acid stain. You still much protect the concrete from getting anything such as paint, oils, paint thinners, etc.....off the concrete. The liquid acetone dye worked better than the powder dye. All you need to do is make sure the concrete is clean and use an acetone compatible pump sprayer. I got the acetone and dye from Decorative Concrete Supply, they have a few around the state. Then use a high quality sealer, zylene or tolulene based, also got it from the same place but I'm sure there are other places too.

Comment

I think it depends on color and what look you are going for. If it's a rustic color and you dont mind and uneven color then DIY is a great option.

If you want it perfect. you might want someone to do it. but still it is almost impossible to be perfect.

Comment

used a lighter color first and went over with darker color for mottled look, actually wish I had used more of the darker color but we get lots of compliments on it. I wax prior to every wedding. My job was 4500 sq ft, dyed it myself in 2 days and 1 day for sealer
        Last edited by friscopaint; 06-12-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
          I think it depends on color and what look you are going for. If it's a rustic color and you dont mind and uneven color then DIY is a great option.

If you want it perfect. you might want someone to do it. but still it is almost impossible to be perfect.
          You can pretty much fully expect uneven color, that's actually part of the allure. Same reason we went over the lighter color with a darker color for a mottled effect.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
            You can pretty much fully expect uneven color, that's actually part of the allure. Same reason we went over the lighter color with a darker color for a mottled effect.
            I agree. Some of the colors look better like a brown/red/orange uneven then say a dark grey or black. (in my opinion)

I did my living room and while it was perfect there was no way I was going to pay someone else to do. Ill try and find a picture.

I used https://www.directcolors.com/ mixed cola and coffe brown
            Last edited by mmoses; 06-12-2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Looks very good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's very easy. I would suggest Kemco stain. Just remember it is never going to be perfect, no matter who does it. Also, be prepared for surface cracks, as your slab will most likely have some or will have some within the first couple years. They are not structural, and not a safety problem, but they are visible when you don't use traditional flooring. If youre a perfectionist, don't go the stained concrete route. Otherwise, it's a great way to save money and still have a nice look in your place.

Comment

Short answer is yes, but if you are a handy man and have the time you may be able to save 1.00 a square foot, maybe. But when it does not come out right you have no one to call, it is not that hard to do but there are several tricks to the trade.

Comment

This is what I do if you want to pm me I don't mind helping out

Comment

Working...
                    X