Welfare reform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThePumaLives View Post
    Let me have a moment to tell y’all about my son’s mother...she gets her food stamps and WIC; she gets a subsidy for my son’s daycare (he’s not in daycare though, so I’m sure she splits this with whoever gives her paperwork), she gets a subsidy to help her pay rent (she bounces between relatives, and I’ve been informed she splits this with whoever she is living with), also gets unemployment (has never had a job for more than a month at a time, and goes 12+ months between those “jobs”), collects Pell Grants and student loans even though she has earned exactly zero college credits through nine semesters enrolled, and collects child support as well. Know the best part? She gets to collect all of that, except child support and the college aid, from two different states! The states know about it, but say she’s just confused and have told her to stop multiple times. Yet despite needing all of this assistance, every time we meet to pick up or drop off my son, she goes into the gas station and purchases beer and cigarettes for her and boyfriend, who also doesn’t have a job and is collecting benefits in two different states.

Should have wrapped it up.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
      Should have wrapped it up.
      You’re telling me... in all seriousness though, she’s a textbook case of why “co-parenting” is a sham policy of the court systems and why welfare reform won’t work with the current people running the system.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        Yes, of course there is fraud and waste.

But what some dingle berry can't fathom is we need to start somewhere. So why not start with worthless people who abuse the system and don't put a dime back in? And his argument could be made for any specific place that should be cut. It's all crumbs but they all add up to a full loaf.
        Because what some don't understand is efficiency.
        Of the $70B in that welfare program I'd say $35B is actually needed to support the elderly, recently released felons, the mentally and physically disabled, foster kids, etc.

Let's say SNAP is run with 0% fraud it will still be a $35B program.

Y'all are emotional and mad some people are "gaming" the system every month for less than I've paid a bar tab on a Friday night or less than a round of golf.
        $135 can't buy some of y'all a pair of snake boots!

Instead expending all these resources to reduce welfare fraud and get that $12B a year back that trump wants, why not buy six less tanks which takes about 5 minutes to reduce the quantity on an order instead of all this other red tape to reduce SNAP budget.

Low hanging fruit.

Once all low hanging fruit is cut then you move up the tree to things like welfare.

Somebody above said he didn't know he was on welfare until middle school.
        If he did not even know that about the financial situation in his household who knows what other social welfare programs his parents benefited from?

Most times you don't simply sign up for food stamps and let that be it.
        It's usually If you're signing up for food stamps you're poor enough (less than 135% of the poverty line) to be eligible for a ton of poor people benefits so it's an automatic enrolment.

Again, don't lose sight of the forest for a few pine needles you see at your local Brookshire / HEB.

Do we really need to buy 1,347,986 bombs every single year?
        Will 950,000 bombs not suffice?
        It's the same bomb just being bought every year and stored in a bunker.
        We never use any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
          I saw it first hand at the grocery stores where folks would walk out with two shopping carts full of groceries paid for with various gov't cards and crawl into a truck that I'd never be able to afford working two jobs.
          You don't know whose truck that was.
          A friend from college is always "in between jobs".
          But her brother did well for himself and has a few $100k cars.
          Often times we will meet up somewhere and she'll pull up to valet in one if his cars and the reactions are funny.
          My wife laughs too because she knows my friend's financial situation isn't what that car represents and that the car isn't even hers!!! LoL

Moral of the story: never judge a person's pocket book by what car they are driving.

Comment

Zero balance budgeting is the way to go in regards to getting budgets under control. Cutting back on welfare fraud would also cut down on numerous other government expenses as well; if you can knock a quarter of the people off then you can eliminate a quarter of the infrastructure that goes into administering it. That’s the rub though, the system is all about justifying its existence.

Take my earlier example of my son living in Louisiana and yet attending daycare in Texas. The address given for the daycare is a 2 bedroom/1 bath home in McLennan County that is administering day care services to over 100 children. Every single child registered there is on government assistance. That’s pretty fishy, don’t you think? So my question is, who in the alphabet soup of local government certified this day care center? Has no one in the various departments noticed that a two bed/one bath home is not suitable to have over 100 children there five days a week? Of course they have, but thats a number that they can throw into their annual reports and justify more money for their programs and raises for themselves.
            Plus it would make people productive members of society which in turn would help the job market, economy, etc.

I say end the program and start over.

Comment

70 Billion may be what we spend on SNAP. But how much do we spend on all welfare combined from reduced lunches, SNAP, subsidized housing, everything that goes along with reduced lunches like reduced test scores, Pre-K, and the thousand other welfare items?

Plus it's way more than half abused. That's obvious but since I can't prove it to you I assume you will swear up and down all the abuse I see is just random coincidence and not really abuse LOL

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                Plus it's way more than half abused. That's obvious but since I can't prove it to you I assume you will swear up and down all the abuse I see is just random coincidence and not really abuse LOL
                You could pull any number out your arse so why would anyone believe you if you can't prove it?
                Someone on ATC swears a business is lieing about being 51%
                How would They know unless they went through the company's books.
                They don't.
                They only go by what they see the few minutes they are in that business.

Y'all cry about liberals being in their feelings, but what you and him both are doing is going off your feelings.
                You have no data.

You need data to prove things in court.

I'll give you an anecdote that was eye opening

On Sunday we take the kids to Levy park
                Afterwards we visit my wife's friend's house that lives nearby and that just had twins
                Long story short her and her husband split
                He left actually
                She has a 6 year old, 4 year old and now newborn twins
                Lives in a decent house and drives a benz
                Out of the blue she just says "yeah I had to apply for food stamps this week"

Oh she's a school teacher and had been off work since October because of high risk pregnancy.

Anyhow, if you saw this soccer mom using an EBT card jumping into her benz afterward you'd cry foul.
                He'll even I still might.
                But I don't know their household finances so I'm just like WOOOOOWWWWW

You never know what's going on in someone else's house.

So yes. Now I know someone on food stamps.
                I still have no idea how she needs food stamps.
                Oh. She's also a beavy whole foods shopper.
                LoL
                That will REALLY tick you off.

When things get better I'll start referring to her as a "Welfare Queen"
                LoL
                But right now that joke won't go over too well

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                  You could pull any number out your arse so why would anyone believe you if you can't prove it?

Someone on ATC swears a business is lieing about being 51%

How would They know unless they went through the company's books.

They don't.

They only go by what they see the few minutes they are in that business.

Y'all cry about liberals being in their feelings, but what you and him both are doing is going off your feelings.

You have no data.

You need data to prove things in court.

I'll give you an anecdote that was eye opening

On Sunday we take the kids to Levy park

Afterwards we visit my wife's friend's house that lives nearby and that just had twins

Long story short her and her husband split

He left actually

She has a 6 year old, 4 year old and now newborn twins

Lives in a decent house and drives a benz

Out of the blue she just says "yeah I had to apply for food stamps this week"

Oh she's a school teacher and had been off work since October because of high risk pregnancy.

Anyhow, if you saw this soccer mom using an EBT card jumping into her benz afterward you'd cry foul.

He'll even I still might.

But I don't know their household finances so I'm just like WOOOOOWWWWW

You never know what's going on in someone else's house.

So yes. Now I know someone on food stamps.

I still have no idea how she needs food stamps.

Oh. She's also a beavy whole foods shopper.

LoL

That will REALLY tick you off.

When things get better I'll start referring to her as a "Welfare Queen"

LoL

But right now that joke won't go over too well

She shouldn’t be on food stamps.

Step one - get rid of the Benz
                  Step two - get rid of the house
                  Step three - file for child support

I am financing her extravagant lifestyle if she is on food stamps.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                    She shouldn’t be on food stamps.

Step one - get rid of the Benz
                    Step two - get rid of the house
                    Step three - file for child support

I am financing her extravagant lifestyle if she is on food stamps.
                    They have money
                    MONEY
                    But husband controls it and is hiding it
                    This separation is new.
                    She's going to be PAID
                    Food stamps are stop gap
                    Benz is paid for (it's about 6-7 years old)
                    LoL you know how long it takes to sell a house???
                    But yeah, she's about to get a big check once that TRO is filed and the child support kicks in

I only told this story to show that you don't know what a person's financial situation is like.

I still don't know how she's doing this without committing welfare fraud but it's like the tbh guy that applied for food stamps and he has a house.

Her wedding ring is probably $20k
                    She could pawn that instead of food stamps (but why would she do that?)

Sell her iPhone and get a flip phone?

Me and wife are wondering why she just didn't ask my wife to borrow some money to hold her over until child support kicked in.
                    Really weird.
                    Strange deal.

Comment

They have money

MONEY

This separation is new.

She's going to be PAID

Food stamps are stop gap

But yeah, she's about to get a big check once that TRO is filed and the child support kicks in

I only told this story to show that you don't know what a person's financial situation is like.

I still don't know how she's doing this without committing welfare fraud but it's like the tbh guy that applied for food stamps and he has a house.

Me and wife are wondering why she just didn't ask my wife to borrow some money to hold her over until child support kicked in.

Really weird.

Strange deal.

Still not the responsibility of you or I as a tax payer to cover her funding gap. Great news that the Benz is paid for. Get a loan on it or sell it for a cheaper vehicle. Get rid of the ring.....she doesn’t need it anymore.

Perfect example of someone gaming the system. Your wife’s friend is part of the problem.

Comment

They have money
                        MONEY
                        This separation is new.
                        She's going to be PAID
                        Food stamps are stop gap

Really weird.
                        Strange deal.
                        How is this weird or strange? It’s not either, it’s abuse. She has the means to buy groceries, she just doesn’t want to use them. Also, you said she applied for food stamps, doesn’t mean she will qualify. People think they have hit rock bottom when that are truly so far from it.

Comment

That ol'boy sure thinks that he has it all figured out doesn't he. I can't help but laugh at some of the statements.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Because what some don't understand is efficiency.

Of the $70B in that welfare program I'd say $35B is actually needed to support the elderly, recently released felons, the mentally and physically disabled, foster kids, etc.

Let's say SNAP is run with 0% fraud it will still be a $35B program.

Y'all are emotional and mad some people are "gaming" the system every month for less than I've paid a bar tab on a Friday night or less than a round of golf.

$135 can't buy some of y'all a pair of snake boots!

Instead expending all these resources to reduce welfare fraud and get that $12B a year back that trump wants, why not buy six less tanks which takes about 5 minutes to reduce the quantity on an order instead of all this other red tape to reduce SNAP budget.

Low hanging fruit.

Once all low hanging fruit is cut then you move up the tree to things like welfare.

Somebody above said he didn't know he was on welfare until middle school.

If he did not even know that about the financial situation in his household who knows what other social welfare programs his parents benefited from?

Most times you don't simply sign up for food stamps and let that be it.

It's usually If you're signing up for food stamps you're poor enough (less than 135% of the poverty line) to be eligible for a ton of poor people benefits so it's an automatic enrolment.

Again, don't lose sight of the forest for a few pine needles you see at your local Brookshire / HEB.

Do we really need to buy 1,347,986 bombs every single year?

Will 950,000 bombs not suffice?

It's the same bomb just being bought every year and stored in a bunker.

We never use any of them.

Personally I’ll spend every last dime on defense of this country before I’d give my $2 per month as you stated to leeches in the welfare system.

People need help from time to time, I’ve been one of them. But unlike the leeches that try to make it a lifetime benefit I did what I had to do to get myself, my wife and my daughter off of it as fast as I could.

That’s the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Let me have a moment to tell y’all about my son’s mother...she gets her food stamps and WIC; she gets a subsidy for my son’s daycare (he’s not in daycare though, so I’m sure she splits this with whoever gives her paperwork), she gets a subsidy to help her pay rent (she bounces between relatives, and I’ve been informed she splits this with whoever she is living with), also gets unemployment (has never had a job for more than a month at a time, and goes 12+ months between those “jobs”), collects Pell Grants and student loans even though she has earned exactly zero college credits through nine semesters enrolled, and collects child support as well. Know the best part? She gets to collect all of that, except child support and the college aid, from two different states! The states know about it, but say she’s just confused and have told her to stop multiple times. Yet despite needing all of this assistance, every time we meet to pick up or drop off my son, she goes into the gas station and purchases beer and cigarettes for her and boyfriend, who also doesn’t have a job and is collecting benefits in two different states.
                              She sounds awesome. How did you let her get away?

Seriously though, how did you hook up with someone who behaves like that?

Was she ever your wife?

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                                How is this weird or strange? It’s not either, it’s abuse. She has the means to buy groceries, she just doesn’t want to use them. Also, you said she applied for food stamps, doesn’t mean she will qualify. People think they have hit rock bottom when that are truly so far from it.
                                I'm saying it's strange she didn't just ask my wife for the money instead of going and applying for food stamps.

Comment

Working...
                                X