Bloodhound owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloodhound owners

We had to put down one of our best friends, and are in the process of looking for another dog. I have wanted a bloodhound for a while, but personally don't know anyone who owns one. Our other dog is a 11 year old chocolate lab. She gets along well with other dogs, so I don't think she will have any issues with a puppy around. I'm interested in people's experiences with bloodhounds. I've read they are susceptible to bloat. Is this very common? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine hasn't had any issues with bloat. You will become frustrated with ear infections though. I am constantly having to clean her ears out. Other than that, she's been a very sweet and loyal dog. It may just be her but she doesn't really care for other dogs. I got her a little late in life so I don't know what her puppy life was. I think she was raised without any other dogs around. They are very audible, very audible. She's a natural blood tracker. I've never lost a deer or hog since I've had her. As I already said the breeds biggest downfall is their ears. You just gotta make it a habit to clean em.

Comment

We have never had an issue with bloat on ours. Definitely the most mule headed dogs I have ever had. They will quickly train you to only ask them to do what they want to do. If inside, be prepared for slobber on the walls and furniture. Shed a good bit, and start stinking about 30 min after you give them a bath. Ours only really bay/bark if somebody different drives up, other than that pretty much stay quiet. Our female has gotten along great with a new dog that was introduced after she was older...the male we had, not so much.

Comment

Went from a lab to a blood hound and it was not an easy transition.

Comment

Bloodhound owners

Any problems with being unattended by people during the day in a fenced backyard? I should say we have a fairly large backyard with a privacy fence.

Last edited by SoTXAg06; 02-02-2017, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I have a female Bloodhound around a year old that shares a kennel with a three yr old male lacy. They both do well together but I do let them out most every day to run a couple hours. One thing I noticed with mine is they are a little stubborn. Needless to say mother nature took its course before I knew she was in heat so we will be having pups in about six or seven weeks.

Comment

in

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
                Any problems with being unattended by people during the day in a fenced backyard? I should say we have a fairly large backyard with a privacy fence.

Have a good fence. If they can get out fairly easily they will, but never had issue with them trying to dig out or anything.

Comment

I'll contradict what most have said. I've only had one, but she's not hard headed at all, pretty well behaved in fact. Hardly ever smells, and is very good with other dogs. Mine, while being a natural tracker, has zero drive. She will find just about anything but could care less if she does or not. She gets distracted easy. Does shed quite a bit, but her hair is short so it's not that big of a deal. She is VERY vocal, but the sweetest dog I've ever been around.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

We got one. I agree with everyone else on the stubborn part. He's definitely a jealous son of gun. I can't even play fetch with my lab cause he'll steal every toy from him. Very dominant, and extremely strong, but that's just his nature he was the alpha of the liter.

He will get an ear infection every now and then, but if you keep his ears dry after he drinks everytime you can manage that. They do smell. Ours is a inside dog so we have to use medicated pet shampoo to keep his skin from drying out from frequent bathing. He's ticked me off so bad sometimes I've wanted to give him away, but dang I like that dude.

He will track though. Very little training. This is him as a pup and then again on his first track. Went straight to the buck. Only about a 100 yard track but didn't have any problem. I've tracked another deer with him over 500 yards that crossed into another property and couldn't recover. Had me doubting, but we continued to pick up blood every so often including a good bit beneath the fence where the deer crossed.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Muddy Bud; 02-02-2017, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Here's Fred. Great companion. I rescued him at an older age. He's probably 7+ now and Ive had him for 3+ years. He slobbers A LOT. He does bloat too. If you don't have a big back hard it might not be the best dog.

Great with people and just wants his ears rubbed most of the time. He's a little territorial with other dogs but usually gets along fine after a little bit. Especially if I'm around.

I love him to death and wouldn't trade him for anything.

Comment

I got one from someone that expected him to behave like a lab. I have a 12' fence that he couldn't get out of but he overpowered my wife a couple of times and ran out the front door. He was stubborn but not as stubborn as the beagles I've had. He died of the bloat at 9 years old.

Comment

Never had a bloodhound but I followed many a bloodhound on horseback while working for TDC some 30 years ago. Love that sound when they cut the track.

Comment

From my limited experience with bloodhounds, they are either easy going or they are really irritable and snappy!

Comment

Thanks for the input. My wife and I decided to get another lab.

Comment

Working...
                              X