Irriagation Question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irriagation Question....

Lets say you have a Lake approx 12 acres and 35ft deep. You have a 37 acre field/food plot you would like to irrigate with water from lake. The distance from lake to the field is approx 1000ft. the field is Approx 800 yds long and 75yd wide. How is the best way to do this? Would it be feasible?

thanks

I think your biggest problem would be keeping the pressure up. Seems like you would need quite a bit of pump pressure to push the water 1000ft plus the 800ft to the far end.

Depending on budget a water truck with the big boom sprayers may be a good idea.

Comment

Those are some big distances.

You may look into drilling a well and adding a windmill for water closeby, then a pump and sprinklers to deliver the water. (Trailer mounted hosereel and sprinkler type setup, is what I'm envisioning here)

Or just suck it up and add an irrigation system. I see used equipment listed from time to time. Wheellines or center pivot come up

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
        Those are some big distances.

You may look into drilling a well and adding a windmill for water closeby, then a pump and sprinklers to deliver the water. (Trailer mounted hosereel and sprinkler type setup, is what I'm envisioning here)

Or just suck it up and add an irrigation system. I see used equipment listed from time to time. Wheellines or center pivot come up
        X2

The hose real will be a pain to move constantly but can get the job done. For a long narrow section the wheel line will work best if the area is fairly flat.
        By the time you price a pump, a generator big enough to power the pump, pipe, an irrigation system, fuel and maintenance; you would probably be better off feeding pellets and doing non-irrigated plots and praying for rain.

800yds x 75yds is 12.4 acres

Comment

Not an expert on this topic but a few things that would help someone that is

What is the elevation of the tank and the elevation of the field (front and back) the size of the pump will need to handle the head loos in the pipe and the change in elevation.
          Whats the budget
          What type of irrigation are you doing? drip, sprayers, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
            X2

The hose real will be a pain to move constantly but can get the job done. For a long narrow section the wheel line will work best if the area is fairly flat.
            By the time you price a pump, a generator big enough to power the pump, pipe, an irrigation system, fuel and maintenance; you would probably be better off feeding pellets and doing non-irrigated plots and praying for rain.

800yds x 75yds is 12.4 acres

The Google acreage map has the field at 37 acres. I guess my guesstimates are off lol. The lake is uphill from the field.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              The Google acreage map has the field at 37 acres. I guess my guesstimates are off lol. The lake is uphill from the field.
              No problem. Just means you are going to need a bigger pump.

Comment

Man that's alot to irrigate....would probably cost several 10's of thousands of $$$....plus fuel to run the pump. A Linear Wheel type system or Hose Reel would work for a plot shaped like that....but I would think the pump would have to be a beast.

That being said it may be worth it in the long run instead of feeding protein pellets.
                You could also look into getting a no till planter instead to conserve moisture instead of tilling. Planting cereal rye in the fall and then no till planting into it in the spring can help somewhat drought proof the field. Rye roots are extremely good at holding moisture in the ground.

Comment

Brandon,

Comment

If the lake is uphill he would be able to get away with a smaller pump

Comment

I do think the sometype of water reel Would be the best bet. Need to keep doing some research.

Comment

you could terrace the field and flood irrigate it perhaps. if the Lake is uphill you could just put in a gate and ditch to gravity flow water down to it.

Comment

The easiest and best thing for this dang drought to end and get back to or normal average rainfall!!!

Comment

I'll take irrigated foodplots over pellets any day. There are lots of ways to irrigate that field if your budget allows. For a rectangular field of that size a 'rolling wheel' system [I'm not sure thats the correct name] is well suited. THis type system looks and operates like a pivot but rolls in a straight line. Another option is sub soil 'tape' system.

Again , lots of options and well worth thorough investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                              I'll take irrigated foodplots over pellets any day. There are lots of ways to irrigate that field if your budget allows. For a rectangular field of that size a 'rolling wheel' system [I'm not sure thats the correct name] is well suited. THis type system looks and operates like a pivot but rolls in a straight line. Another option is sub soil 'tape' system.

Again , lots of options and well worth thorough investigation.
                              I have been looking at the water reels. This seems like the most practicle sollution. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X