What Size for a fall/hunting food plot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Size for a fall/hunting food plot?

Curious to what y'all think is big enough for a fall/hunting plot? I am thinking 1-2 acres would be just about right. What is y'alls opinion?

I'd worry less about the size and more about the stand location. Gotta be in the right place at the right time!

Comment

That is very true. That goes without saying. In this scenario we would have one main food plot of approx 20 acres in the center of the ranch with 4-5 smaller plots strategically placed throughout the rest of the ranch. Each of these plots would be around 1.5 acres I think. About the size of a football field.

Comment

I like a plot big enough (minimum 2 acres) that can provide deer year round food (as much as that's possible in a Texas summer) in one location for about every 75-100 acres. They get used to coming to one location year round and they will eat anything you plant in there...spring and fall. Its got to be well screened off for mature bucks to visit during daylight.

I have one food plot (2 acres) at my farm and the first year they didn't eat in it much. I have planted in it every year and now no matter what I plant...they will eat it. After four years its not uncommon to have 20 deer feeding in it now.....and I don't have that high of a deer density. Rye, oats, and clover are the base of my fall/winter plots and can keep up with lots of browsing.

Comment

I plant about 5 acres in 6 plots.
          Oats, wheat and cereal rye. Be sure and fertilize when it gets established about 100 lbs minimum per acre.

I fenced one this year to keep pigs out for a summer and winter plot.

Btw always put a small cage in it to see your growth and usage.
          It amazes me how they keep mine grazed down outside the cage.

Big pig

Comment

I like the cage idea big pig.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              That is very true. That goes without saying. In this scenario we would have one main food plot of approx 20 acres in the center of the ranch with 4-5 smaller plots strategically placed throughout the rest of the ranch. Each of these plots would be around 1.5 acres I think. About the size of a football field.
              Sounds like a perfect plan if you have the right equipment.
              Would love to have a twenty acre summer plot. The deer decimate my small summer plots.

Big pig

Comment

a good food plot is a lot of work. But I do enjoy it

Comment

Following...good info

Comment

Keep this rolling! Great info!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                      Sounds like a perfect plan if you have the right equipment.
                      Would love to have a twenty acre summer plot. The deer decimate my small summer plots.

Big pig

The main field is 37 acres. The plan is plant aprrox 17 acres of that in BeeWild Bundleflower since it is a perennial and very drought resistanct. Will also plant scendaros of BeeWild throughout the ranch and along side the fences of the smaller plots. the smaller plots will be fenced as well.

Comment

Brandon,

Is the place fenced? If so what is the deer density? I only planted one fall plot and it was about 1.5 acres. We had about 1 deer per 8-9 acres and they never mowed it down. They were still eating on it mid January when we let the cows out. This year the same area will have about 7 acres of plots by the same blind...I dont expect it to ever get overgrazed.

With a low fence operation you are likely to pull a ton of deer of the neighboring places.

Comment

Jeff this place is not high fenced. Total we will probably have close to 40 acres in food plots.

Comment

That should be plenty. Whats the deer density in the area?

Comment

That is a good question. We are working on that now.

Comment

Working...
                              X