Homemade feeder timer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade feeder timer?

Anybody build their own corn throwers from scratch?

I’d like to build a few more and am brainstorming what to use for the housing. I’ve used ammo cans before but their have their drawbacks. Any ideas?

Ammo can is pretty hard to beat

Comment

An(small) electrical switch box!

Comment

Seems like all seasons, boss buck, and spintech all use about the same housing. Wonder who makes those?

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
          Ammo can is pretty hard to beat
          Yep for strength, cost and weather proofing I don’t know of anything that comes close.

Comment

I use a feeder unit attached to my homemade barrel, cover, funnel and custom made aluminum handle which Costa the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

great job like its.

Comment

What I learned is that most if not the BEST 12 volt “motors are actually GM blower motor units. They are like $20 units that spin your fan motor to blow air thru your defroster , A/C vents or floor ducts.

They work great ! I say the best 12 volt motor because not only do they spin so hard and fast but that every GM dealership has them in stock in case one blows out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe a Yeti Roadie?

Comment

I use a 8x8x6” NEMA3R electrical box

I change out the screw at the bottom, and run a 10/24 through from the inside, and use a wingnut to hold the cover.

Add some thin gasket material to keep bugs out.

I also use a 5w solar panel, so I can run the lights on the feeder when I want.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

You can get the All seasons style boxes from Ultramatic for $29. That’s what I use and they work great.

Comment

That’s a very nice looking feeder!

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                        I use a 8x8x6” NEMA3R electrical box

I change out the screw at the bottom, and run a 10/24 through from the inside, and use a wingnut to hold the cover.

Add some thin gasket material to keep bugs out.

I also use a 5w solar panel, so I can run the lights on the feeder when I want.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
                          You can get the All seasons style boxes from Ultramatic for $29. That’s what I use and they work great.
                          http://www.ultramaticfeeders.com/ind...alvanized-cb1g
                          This is exactly what I’ve been looking for. However, the more I look into it, unless I can find cheaper sources for parts, I’m not seeing much value in building vs buying a complete setup from all seasons or Elusive or Ultramatic.

Comment

Homemade feeder timer?

That’s what I discovered as well.

I might save a few bucks, but the labor is more than offset by the cost.

Quality parts (reliable) cost money. Cheap parts will net cheap results. Considering what you spend on your lease, is it really worth saving $30-40 if your feeder doesn’t throw on opening morning?

Ultramatic has great service. I also like the folks at West Texas Feeder. Look at the complete units: timer, motor, plate and solar panel. It sounds like a chunk of change, but once you add up the parts, plus the convenience of just being able to bolt it up and go, it’s totally worth it.

I still have a couple of timers, boxes and motors from the last batch of feeders I built, but once I use them up, I won’t be building any lower units from that point on.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                              Anybody build their own corn throwers from scratch?

I’d like to build a few more and am brainstorming what to use for the housing. I’ve used ammo cans before but their have their drawbacks. Any ideas?
                              When younger I used to make the entire feeder from scratch using a 55gal barrel. The lid, legs/hanger, funnel, electronic timer, spinner plate were made by me. I did buy the battery and motor.

These days I'll just get one of those all seasons or foreverlast complete units to use for a feeder.

Comment

Working...
                              X