Time To Get Serious About CWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
    Here we go, again. CWD has been in the wild for FAR longer than it ever has been in a pen, yet everyone always blames the deer breeders for it. You people that say the breeders spread it all over are worse than Democrats. Animals in the wild have it, they migrate, they die, predators eat and carry off parts but you never hear about that. Just that breeders spread it and are the end all, be all. Everyone just calm down, the sky ain't falling yet....
    I actually hadn't heard anyone on this thread blaming breeders or high fences yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
      I actually hadn't heard anyone on this thread blaming breeders or high fences yet.
      Other threads here and on other sites have.

Breeders, exotics, feeders. I'm sure the disease existed before all of these and more.

Now these may put animals in close proximity of each other like schools do to children.

I just have a real problem that the "cure" always seems to be to wipe out the wild herd.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
        wonder if its contagious for humans, when I grill venison i like it rare to med rare.
        This guy is an expert and while its not be scientifically proven it can happen he says you probably shouldn't be eating CWD positive deer. Its a very long podcast but well worth the listen just for the knowledge gained alone http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts...sting-disease/

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
          How bout you look at post 7, 14 and 16.....

Comment

I think the issue isn't so much with the breeders breeding the deer in pens as much as importing and transferring all over. spreading the disease to places where it has never been before.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
              I think the issue isn't so much with the breeders breeding the deer in pens as much as importing and transferring all over. spreading the disease to places where it has never been before.
              Winner, Winner!.....but according to some, that never has, could or will happen.

Comment

Here we go, again. CWD has been in the wild for FAR longer than it ever has been in a pen, yet everyone always blames the deer breeders for it. You people that say the breeders spread it all over are worse than Democrats. Animals in the wild have it, they migrate, they die, predators eat and carry off parts but you never hear about that. Just that breeders spread it and are the end all, be all. Everyone just calm down, the sky ain't falling yet....
                I'm interested in this part. Can you point me to where you found that?

Comment

How bout you look at post 7, 14 and 16.....

Nobody blamed anybody. And your response proved the point they were making.

Comment

One of the world's foremost whitetail deer experts; Dr. Grant Woods, said in a study he's been involved with, that to stop or drastically slow the spread of CWD would be to stop the transportation of deer from pen to pen.

Comment

Just like everything these days it’s taken to a level 10, when in reality it’s a 2

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                        I just read an article in Whitetail Journal by Dr. David Samuel "It's Time to Get Serious About Chronic Wasting Disease" and I must admit, I'm stunned. While I can't find it online yet, I'm sure it is forthcoming.

I had no idea how bad, how contagious, and how dangerous this disease is. I also read an article in Drovers yesterday (CWD a Time Bomb for Agriculture?) about how the agriculture industry needs to sit up, pay attention, and move on this. CWD could devastate the ag and food industry.

You cannot wash it off plants or soil. It lingers for a very long time. It has a 100% mortality rate. It is highly contagious, spreading through food, water, and nasal contact. Cervids (Deer, elk, etc.) can carry it and spread for 2 years prior to showing signs of infection. NY Times reported that fire may be the only way to stop it - and that means killing every cervid in the zone and burning the bodies, plants, trees, and soil with fire.

Right now the experts are saying it is safe to eat CWD deer if it is well cooked, but a new study showed monkeys were infected after 3 years of eating uncooked CWD infected meat.
                        Incineration will be in the near future for carcass disposal purposes.. It has already been talked about by TPWD, for a couple of years, according to my inside contact... This will be a huge hurdle.. Regulation out the wazoo...

And its a good thing I'm not a monkey..

Comment

CWD is a natural deterrent to deer overpopulation. Its been around a lot longer than we have.

I was under the impression that CWD was found in high fence deer populations.

CWD has been creeping Southward for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                            One of the world's foremost whitetail deer experts; Dr. Grant Woods, said in a study he's been involved with, that to stop or drastically slow the spread of CWD would be to stop the transportation of deer from pen to pen.
                            Dr Woods is pretty well informed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                              I am not someone to panic or by into sensationalism but I think this will be the end of hunting in Texas as we know it. Baiting, game ranches, breeding facilities, all of it will eventually have to go away. I know to some that sounds like sensationalism but if half the predictions come to be true that's the road we are heading down.
                              Missouri is a CWD watch zone, feeders, mineral sites, were banned by the state

Comment

There is no evidence at all that the disease has been around forever. Most evidence indicates the CWD disease began when mule deer were put into the sheep scrapie pens in Colorado whereby genetically-susceptible animals acquired the prions and the disease was transformed into a new cervid-adapted form (similar to the way the people acquired variant CJ disease from Mad Cow). The best evidence that the disease has not been around forever is that in every single area that the disease has been identified, the infection rate has increased, both in spacial and temporal terms. If the disease would have been around forever, we would see much higher prevalence rates (and geographic spread) than we do currently.

Also, someone above incorrectly stated that the research monkeys only acquired the disease after direct injection into the brain. Two of 5 monkeys acquired the disease after only consuming meat from an infected animal (no brain matter or neurological tissue).

Comment

Working...
                                X