Winch for feeder - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winch for feeder - help

I built a couple of winch up feeders about 6-8 years ago. The winches are getting old and worn and so am I. Originally these were 1500 lb brake winches from northern tool. I don't know if it's me or the winches getting old but they are a lot harder to crank than it seems they used to be and a lot harder than I want. So what do I replace them with?

I need something with a higher gear ratio. Or for similar money I might be able to buy a 12V electric winch and just book it up to a truck battery when I needs to use it. Are those electric winches equipped with brakes? Any high gear ratio winches you know of for less than $100?

I might just go cheap, remove the handle from the crank shaft and use a long cheater pipe.

Here is a picture of one of the feeders. Winch is mounted on the right most leg in the pic.
    Attached Files

yup..boat winches... swap the strap for cable

Comment

Sell it... and go to stand n fill . They are much safer and easier to fill .

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
        Sell it... and go to stand n fill . They are much safer and easier to fill .
        I think this is the way to go. When I can, I'm changing mine out to stand-and-fill directional feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          I think this is the way to go. When I can, I'm changing mine out to stand-and-fill directional feeders.
          Add another pulley where you have the cable hooked to the top of your barrel assembly and connect the hook at your apex. You will get a 2:1 reduction and it will much much easier to crank up. That's how all of mine are done.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
            Add another pulley where you have the cable hooked to the top of your barrel assembly and connect the hook at your apex. You will get a 2:1 reduction and it will much much easier to crank up. That's how all of mine are done.
            This and winches from Boss Buck!

Best is the stand and fill!

Comment

I’ve done the winch ups both with and without a second snatch block. The single block makes for some tough cranking. The second snatch block makes for twice the turns the raise or lower. Even had them set up to be operated with a battery drill. I don’t own one but looks like stand and fill is the way to go.

Comment

This is how I rigged my 55-gal feeders. Once my barrels rusted out on one, I converted to 32-gal galvanized trash can for the container. Since I am only 11 miles from my spot, refilling frequently isn't a problem for me.

The penalty with that 2:1 reduction is that it takes a bunch more cranks to move the barrel the same distance.

Comment

Think I will try this. Thanks!

Comment

Add another pulley .
                    Yep.
                    All my feeders are double pulley sets. A full 300lb container is so much easier to get up. And when they get empty or almost empty, I can free fall it. Comes down slow and easy!!!
                    I also buy my winches at Harbor Freight for about $23. Doesn't have a brake, but using these for the last 15-20 yrs., I don't see no need in it.

Comment

Harbor freight pulley block and double the line.

Comment

Working...
                      X