2018 saltwater fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    Yea the ol salt is calling my name for sure. Looking at the extended forecasts that 10 knot SE breeze with water temps in the mid 70s means the bays are going to clear up and the fish are going to eat....
    and I'm headed out with Capt Nathan Gray next Tuesday

Getting jacked up about it now, weather looking great and he sent me a teaser pick of yesterday's catch, 23 keeper trout up to 27.5".

Comment

Yea, we'll be fishin' the Chandeleur's Memorial Day and the two following days... If weather holds like this, it's gonna be epic!! I got me a whole sack full of super secret new baits to fool 'em with!!

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
        Sounds like they may be associated with the deeper water, stay shallow my friends!

What about stingrays? I must have seen 20 or more of them, they’re the work of the devil.
        Lol...you are fishing too shallow! I didn't see any stingrays...granted most of the time I couldn't see my feet, and I had my eyes peeled for the **** trout stealers!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          Yea the ol salt is calling my name for sure. Looking at the extended forecasts that 10 knot SE breeze with water temps in the mid 70s means the bays are going to clear up and the fish are going to eat....
          I'll be home Sunday, and fishing Tuesday. I can't focus on my last few days here on this project....I just see blow ups.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Ain't that the truth!! Sure hope this weather holds... If it's like this, we're gonna nuke 'em!
            I haven't looked at the long range forecast in a week or so. Last I checked they were gonna get some rain for 3-4 days here pretty quick. Ive kinda been scared to check it honestly. It was PERFECT for the days we where supposed to fish 2 weeks ago. I got so antsy I was sick to my stomach thinking it was gonna be on fire.

If its any consolation, our luck was mediocre last year and obviously junk 2 weeks ago. To say "I'm due" is an understatement I'm ordering some chartreuse powder paint to coat all the lead colored jigs I have. I might just have to add some chicken of the sea DSLs. Plastics bag already weighs 20 lbs whats another oz or so

Comment

Give me 20 more hours... Looks good in the morning too.
              Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              Somebody should be waist deep in the surf right now

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Buddy of mine just pulled on the beach at Surfside. He's non responsive now so must be in the water already. I'll report back if he has any luck on his afternoon trip.

He did send me this pic before he went radio silent.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by tmurray; 05-16-2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Man the camera at Surfside sure looks good... Water looks BLUE all the way to the beach!!

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                    I'll be home Sunday, and fishing Tuesday. I can't focus on my last few days here on this project....I just see blow ups.
                    I'll probably be there myself early next week.... this working is for the birds!

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
                      Buddy of mine just pulled on the beach at Surfside. He's non responsive now so must be in the water already. I'll report back if he has any luck on his afternoon trip.

He did send me this pic before he went radio silent.
                      Friend of mine fished from daylight to noon and zeroed right along with 2 guys soaking croaker....

Comment

I fished Surfside this morning and I think we had 5 keepers between 3 of us, and a handful of dinks. Lots of big ladyfish. I had to leave for work around 9:30, but I talked to my buddies and they didn't catch a fish after I left. Water was great this morning. I went back to Surfside for lunch with my wife, we ate at Beachfront, and the wind was back out of the south and blowing, and the surf was building, I imagine by tomorrow morning it'll probably be blown out though it may still be fishavble. It's been very slow so far this year. Usually you can at least catch all the dinks you can stand. Guys fishing next to us had live shrimp, and I only think they had a few trout between 4 of them. Surf had everything you look for, just not many trout. I usually don't miss a day when it's good, I work close by and have a flexible schedule. I'll keep trying. lol
                        Last edited by panhandlehunter; 05-16-2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the update panhandle, hope it turns on soon!

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            I fished Surfside this morning and I think we had 5 keepers between 3 of us, and a handful of dinks. Lots of big ladyfish. I had to leave for work around 9:30, but I talked to my buddies and they didn't catch a fish after I left. Water was great this morning. I went back to Surfside for lunch with my wife, we ate at Beachfront, and the wind was back out of the south and blowing, and the surf was building, I imagine by tomorrow morning it'll probably be blown out though it may still be fishavble. It's been very slow so far this year. Usually you can at least catch all the dinks you can stand. Guys fishing next to us had live shrimp, and I only think they had a few trout between 4 of them. Surf had everything you look for, just not many trout. I usually don't miss a day when it's good, I work close by and have a flexible schedule. I'll keep trying. lol
                            Well,I don't feel quite so bad... NOT!! Good luck to you and hope you're right in the middle of 'em when they do turn on!! For many, many years, our kick off spring/summer trip was always Memorial Day weekend and was generally at Port O'Connor... Seems things this year are running a bit behind schedule...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Well,I don't feel quite so bad... NOT!! Good luck to you and hope you're right in the middle of 'em when they do turn on!! For many, many years, our kick off spring/summer trip was always Memorial Day weekend and was generally at Port O'Connor... Seems things this year are running a bit behind schedule...
                              That's what I'm thinking. Last year by this time, we already had some great trips in the surf. One in particular was the best day I've ever had. I put my time in down there, so just hoping it's sooner rather than later that it does turn on.

Comment

Got into the flat fish pretty good last week, lots of dinks, did manage a few keepers. Then this morning we hammered the trout on tops. Waist deep in Sandy water. Alot of dinks this morning but probably caught 40+ trout with a few reds mixed in.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X