Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk in Hardeman county???

Pic

Definitely an elk. Could have migrated out of the quartz mountains in OK. There is a herd n/Ne of Altus. Or escaped from a high fence operation.

Comment

there any high fence ranches around?? thats my guess

Comment

I am not aware of any high fence ranch anywhere close by anyway.

Comment

Looks like a red stag to me. Yes there is a few small outfits around that raise these deer. They are south of the river from you, (Foard County) but I have seen them also. I was hunting a small place last year just down the road from one of them and seen a few fallow deer on camera along with the reds.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGTERRY75 View Post
            Looks like a red stag to me. Yes there is a few small outfits around that raise these deer. They are south of the river from you, (Foard County) but I have seen them also. I was hunting a small place last year just down the road from one of them and seen a few fallow deer on camera along with the reds.
            This.

Comment

Fire away! They are considered exotics and as long as you have a hunting license and landowner permission they are legal to shoot. I wish you wouldn't as that isn't far from my place and I would love to see an elk come walking by my blind!

Exotic animal refers to grass-eating or plant-eating, single-hoofed or cloven-hoofed mammals that are not indigenous or native to Texas and are known as ungulates, including animals from the deer and antelope families that landowners have introduced into this state. Includes, but is not limited to feral hog, Aoudad sheep, Axis deer, Elk, Sika deer, Fallow deer, Blackbuck antelope, Nilgai antelope, and Russian boar. Exotic fowl refers to any avian species that is not indigenous to this state, including ratites (emu, ostrich, rhea, cassowary, etc.).

There are no state bag or possession limits or closed seasons on exotic animals or fowl on private property. It is against the law to:

Hunt an exotic without a valid hunting license.
              Hunt an exotic on a public road or right-of-way.
              Hunt an exotic without the landowner's permission.
              Possess an exotic or the carcass of an exotic without the owner's consent.

Comment

I'd shoot that in a heartbeat. Lots of good meat right there.

Comment

Where are you at in Hardeman? We are on the river with land in both Hardeman and Foard and have had fallow on our place.

Comment

Working...
                  X