Home Inspectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Inspectors?

I am nearing retirement from the education field. I am 53 years old and am looking for something else to do that I enjoy. I have always liked building and minor construction projects, and am interested in becoming a licensed home inspector. I know I would have to take classes and pass the test and pay licensing fees, etc..., and I am OK with all of that. I was just wondering if there were any inspectors here on the Green Screen who might offer suggestion, pointers, advice, etc...
    Thanks in advance.
    Dudley

I'm in the same boat you are, I'm just a little bit ahead of you. I just got my license last month and it's been a journey. Go to TREC website and it's all there. I'm about $5k in so far. I'm in DFW area and would like a mentor to lean on. I think you better hurry as some of the liscensing requirements are changing soon. Good luck.

Comment

In

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleB20 View Post
        I'm in the same boat you are, I'm just a little bit ahead of you. I just got my license last month and it's been a journey. Go to TREC website and it's all there. I'm about $5k in so far. I'm in DFW area and would like a mentor to lean on. I think you better hurry as some of the liscensing requirements are changing soon. Good luck.

I'm curios as to why so much

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
            I'm curios as to why so much

The school cost was $2100 (correspondence), state test fee $260, misc travel for school $200, state license $225, report software $1000, professional insurance (required by state) $900, website, business cards, etc. $350, tools are still adding up but I'm around $500 at this point and I already had a lot of them. Still need a lawyer to check over my contracts, etc. I'm going to be doing it part time until I retire in about 5 years or when I can't stand my current job anymore.

Comment

Thanks for that info. I figured start up costs would be about what you said. How long did it take you to complete the correspondence classes? Like you, Im thinking some part time too for at least a couple of years until I retire from my current job. It would be nice to have something like that lined up when I do call it quits!

Comment

I have been inspecting for 10 years now. Great second income for sure. I stated out hitting the realtors offices on the weekends. I would take in a dozen donuts and tape a card to it. While you are in there find a couple of realtor to talk to-( it does not even have to be about you as an inspector) just let the m know who you are what you do and that you would like to work with them. There were several times I would go In and talk about golf or hunting and never even mention inspections. Keep going and talking to them and soon your phone will start ringing. Price a little low at first to get your foot in the door and then as you get known raise your prices to match the competition. This is the method I used. I have not passed out a card or flyer in years and I stay as busy as I want to be by just repeat referrals. Pm me if you have questions I would be happy to help. You should look into whisper reporter for your program. It is about 500.00 very easy to use and has buy far the best costumer service I have found.

Comment

I am looking for a home inspector in the DFW area (prefer Ellis County / South DFW) to see about getting our home looked at before the warranty runs out in the next 4 months.

Comment

Wow Dudley, you are reading my mind! Glad you started this thread!

Comment

Working...
                    X