Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
slicktricker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Plano tx
Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land
Default Recommend a sausage stuffer

We've had some elk grind made up so we can have some salami and hunters stick jerky made up. We need some suggestions on the equipment for this process. We'll be smoking the finished products so any recipes you've tried in the past could be helpful too.
Thanks in advance for any and all info.
slicktricker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
krisw
Pope & Young
 
krisw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hughes Springs, TX
Hunt In: Cass County
Default

I have an LEM 5lb one. I like it. If I where to be doing a lot at once, I would look at one that was bigger and possibly motorized or attached to something.
krisw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

1HP minimum for animals that size. Cabelas or LEM..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
Muskles
Ten Point
 
Muskles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Jacksonville
Hunt In: Cherokee Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
1HP minimum for animals that size. Cabelas or LEM..
This guy is right again!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
slicktricker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Plano tx
Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land
Default

Thanks for the info folks.
slicktricker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #6
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

I just want it on record here that I did not make any of the good sausage stuffer jokes that popped into my head when I read the title.


Good luck with your meat....




Couldn't help it.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
slicktricker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Plano tx
Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I just want it on record here that I did not make any of the good sausage stuffer jokes that popped into my head when I read the title.


Good luck with your meat....
Couldn't help it.
Duly noted
slicktricker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:35 PM   #8
NannySlayer
Ten Point
 
NannySlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: CLEBURNE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I just want it on record here that I did not make any of the good sausage stuffer jokes that popped into my head when I read the title.


It reminded me of a message I once received on FarmersOnly.com


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NannySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #9
Walker
Ten Point
 
Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default

You want a grinder with stuffing capability or do you want a stuffer? 2 different animals.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
slicktricker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Plano tx
Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannySlayer View Post
It reminded me of a message I once received on FarmersOnly.com


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale you've been sending out messages again haven't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
You want a grinder with stuffing capability or do you want a stuffer? 2 different animals.
No sir I just need the stuffer as I already had the venison ground by the processor. Have about 20lbs I need to do.
slicktricker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #11
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktricker View Post
Dale you've been sending out messages again haven't you?

No sir I just need the stuffer as I already had the venison ground by the processor. Have about 20lbs I need to do.

"you don't have to be lonely......"
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #12
Walker
Ten Point
 
Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktricker View Post
Dale you've been sending out messages again haven't you?

No sir I just need the stuffer as I already had the venison ground by the processor. Have about 20lbs I need to do.
Somebody has a 5# stuffer in the classifieds
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #13
slicktricker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Plano tx
Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Somebody has a 5# stuffer in the classifieds
Thanks I was looking at that. Not counting it out but like the idea of a motorised one.
slicktricker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #14
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktricker View Post
Dale you've been sending out messages again haven't you?

No sir I just need the stuffer as I already had the venison ground by the processor. Have about 20lbs I need to do.

Oh hell I thought you meat grinder......I grind and stuff the venison on the same machine


5lb stuffer is a PITA....refilling is a PITA
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #15
slicktricker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Plano tx
Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Oh hell I thought you meat grinder......I grind and stuff the venison on the same machine


5lb stuffer is a PITA....refilling is a PITA
So what do you recommend in this case. Last thing I want is more PITA. Got plenty on the price of admission to elk country.
slicktricker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #16
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktricker View Post
So what do you recommend in this case. Last thing I want is more PITA. Got plenty on the price of admission to elk country.

The thing about counting on your processor to grind every year is that you are subject to what size they grind at. If they burger grind you are look at making hotdog type sausage with a softer texture. You may like that and that is fine. Many folks do. We like sausage with some texture to it...with a little more chew. Plus...we add spice before we grind to mix everything more evenly. Are you going to add spices after they grind it for you? or are they doing it before the grind? Mixing by hand or machine is another step that pulverizes the meat a little more once its in burger grind size...plus its hard to get it mixed evenly once its already in that same ground burger form without pulverizing it more.



I say all this because I grind and stuff off my grinder and depending on what I am making change the size of my grinds to our preferences. The mixing before your final grind is a big plus for us too. If any of that is something you might want to do in the future, you might consider getting a grinder you can stuff. They equipment will pay for itself with a few deer. Stand alone stuffers aren't cheap so the monetary difference between the two isn't very significant.

Last edited by Smart; 09-20-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #17
mooch
Eight Point
 
mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midland
Default

LEM's dual gear stuffers work pretty good and make it pretty easy. I'd go minimum of 10 lbs, higher if you do a lot of sausage.

I would NOT recommend using your grinder as a stuffer. That's a huge pain IMO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mooch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #18
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch View Post
LEM's dual gear stuffers work pretty good and make it pretty easy. I'd go minimum of 10 lbs, higher if you do a lot of sausage.

I would NOT recommend using your grinder as a stuffer. That's a huge pain IMO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



I'm guessing maybe you don't have the right grinder for it if stuffing off your grinder is a PITA. It's faster and better for us with no stoppages to refill the can...especially with a pedal......it also keeps a good texture. We did the 15 lbs stuffer for a bit but it stays put up now....plus one less thing to clean up.. We even stuff our 22mm buckstix off of the grinder (see second set of pics).


Name:  SM2.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  Sausage 3.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  224.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0430.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  59.0 KB




buckstix


Name:  SM7.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0411.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0453.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  101.5 KB

Last edited by Smart; 09-20-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #19
sendit
Ten Point
 
sendit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Default

I think the size of the equipment should match the amount of meat you want to process.. You can do 400 lbs of sausage with a #8 hand grinder and a 5lb stuffer but its going to take you awhile.


With only 20lbs of ground meat a simple hand crank 5lb/10lb stuffer will do the trick. Any thing bigger is overkill.

To us it gets down to time management. My wife,myself and daughters can make several hundred pounds of link sausage or snack sticks in a short time using a big #32 electric grinder and a 30lb electric stuffer.

No doubt you can stuff with a grinder but its a slow go compared to a dedicated stuffer.
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #20
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit View Post

No doubt you can stuff with a grinder but its a slow go compared to a dedicated stuffer.



using my 1 HP Cabelas grinder we found it to be just the opposite.....but hey to each their own..

Last edited by Smart; 09-20-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 09:45 PM   #21
Rubi513
Pope & Young
 
Rubi513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Centerville
Hunt In: Walker County
Default

I am not going to argue with anyone or say my way is the best, but for me the stuffer wins. I don’t have the 1 h.p. Mine is only 3/4 h.p., but I will never try to stuff with my grinder again.
As far as cleaning it takes 5 minutes to clean my stuffer. I will take that all day long over stuffing with “my” grinder.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 09:45 PM   #22
Muskles
Ten Point
 
Muskles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Jacksonville
Hunt In: Cherokee Co
Default

I've never processed with Smart, but from comparing our post and process, I think we could meet up and roll this stuff out like Eckrich! I grind mine through the course, chili, plate. Add seasoning and mix. Change my plate to sausage and grind again then remix. If I'm making patty sausage, I stop there and package. If I'm making link, I pull the blades and switch to the stuffing plate and add the horn. We used to try to add the horn to the sausage plate, but it doesn't flow as fast and actually takes much longer than adding the extra grind. I think we could get by without the middle grind, but most of my people like the less course sausage. I use a LEM 1 horse. If you're thinking about doing all your own grinding from now on, I'd buy a LEM or Cabela's 1 horse grinder. You can just use the stuffing plate this year and take over where your processor left off. Next year, you can do it all yourself. Even if you take your animal to the processor, you can just have it cut into tips/stew meat and go from there. It will be cheaper than having it ground. Best of luck!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #23
Muskles
Ten Point
 
Muskles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Jacksonville
Hunt In: Cherokee Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
I am not going to argue with anyone or say my way is the best, but for me the stuffer wins. I don’t have the 1 h.p. Mine is only 3/4 h.p., but I will never try to stuff with my grinder again.
As far as cleaning it takes 5 minutes to clean my stuffer. I will take that all day long over stuffing with “my” grinder.
I used to feel the same way about my grinder until I pulled the blades. We used to leave the blades in while trying to stuff, now we pull them and we can't keep up.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 09:52 PM   #24
Rubi513
Pope & Young
 
Rubi513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Centerville
Hunt In: Walker County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskles View Post
I used to feel the same way about my grinder until I pulled the blades. We used to leave the blades in while trying to stuff, now we pull them and we can't keep up.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I have tried that too...still no comparison.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #25
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskles View Post
I used to feel the same way about my grinder until I pulled the blades. We used to leave the blades in while trying to stuff, now we pull them and we can't keep up.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

This man knows!...We pull the blade and the +, then add the mini auger extension for the tube ....It moves **** quick and is why the 15lb stuffer sits on the shelf at my buddies house....


I guess I need to do a video of it moving next year to show the non-believers..
Attached Images
  
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #26
slicktricker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Plano tx
Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
The thing about counting on your processor to grind every year is that you are subject to what size they grind at. If they burger grind you are look at making hotdog type sausage with a softer texture. You may like that and that is fine. Many folks do. We like sausage with some texture to it...with a little more chew. Plus...we add spice before we grind to mix everything more evenly. Are you going to add spices after they grind it for you? or are they doing it before the grind? Mixing by hand or machine is another step that pulverizes the meat a little more once its in burger grind size...plus its hard to get it mixed evenly once its already in that same ground burger form without pulverizing it more.



I say all this because I grind and stuff off my grinder and depending on what I am making change the size of my grinds to our preferences. The mixing before your final grind is a big plus for us too. If any of that is something you might want to do in the future, you might consider getting a grinder you can stuff. They equipment will pay for itself with a few deer. Stand alone stuffers aren't cheap so the monetary difference between the two isn't very significant.
Yes will be adding spices myself.
Sounds like I'm way out of my elements already but dang those pics give me motivation to press on.
slicktricker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #27
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktricker View Post
Yes will be adding spices myself.
Sounds like I'm way out of my elements already but dang those pics give me motivation to press on.



LOL...It's a learning process every time and we've been doing it a lot of years.... Something always throws you a slight curve ball.. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #28
RaginCagin
Ten Point
 
RaginCagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisiana
Hunt In: Louisiana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
The thing about counting on your processor to grind every year is that you are subject to what size they grind at. If they burger grind you are look at making hotdog type sausage with a softer texture. You may like that and that is fine. Many folks do. We like sausage with some texture to it...with a little more chew. Plus...we add spice before we grind to mix everything more evenly. Are you going to add spices after they grind it for you? or are they doing it before the grind? Mixing by hand or machine is another step that pulverizes the meat a little more once its in burger grind size...plus its hard to get it mixed evenly once its already in that same ground burger form without pulverizing it more.



I say all this because I grind and stuff off my grinder and depending on what I am making change the size of my grinds to our preferences. The mixing before your final grind is a big plus for us too. If any of that is something you might want to do in the future, you might consider getting a grinder you can stuff. They equipment will pay for itself with a few deer. Stand alone stuffers aren't cheap so the monetary difference between the two isn't very significant.
As a processor I ask every customer what size they want their sausage meat ground. I wouldn't think anyone would want fine grind for Sausage but every now and then someone does but mainly for jerky sticks. A fairly course grind is the best for texture. As far as seasoning I like to grind then dissolve seasoning in a little water then mix and let sit in the cooler over night. It's what works best for me and customers like it but its kinda like cooking crawfish or bbq. Everyone has their on technique, none of which are wrong. They all work it's just personal preference.

As far as brands go for stuffers LEM or Cabelas is great for home use and if you want to step it up a notch the Sausage Stuffer Company makes about the best on the market for electric stuffers.
RaginCagin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com