No announcement yet.

Thoughts on tack strips/shark teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put shark teeth on my protein feeders a few years ago. It worked for a little bit but not anymore. There has been more than one time I've walked by or not watched what I was doing and cut my hands pretty good on them. I don't really need them anymore because the deer are spilling enough feed on the ground for everyone.

Comment

A few days ago a guy and I were talking about the CoonHoods and he told me he was just going to try the tack strips... long story short I send him the link to this thread now his CoonHoods are being fabricated and I have a new customer.Thanks for the help and for sharing your experiences!!

Stop wasting time and money messing with coons! Order your CoonHoods now and start protecting your investment!

COONHOOD IS A VARMINT GUARD SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR PROTIEN FEEDERS. OUR GOAL IS TO DESIGN A COONHOOD FOR EVERY DIFFERENT BRAND OF PROEITN FEEDER

Comment

My experience with tack strips is that they give coons traction and give humans working on feeders bloody arms.

Comment

Easy to install and remove, but worthless!

Comment

There are 4 things I've found that work---traps, arrows, bullets, and a cage the diameter of the barrel. Tack strips, slinkies, grease, PVC----nope.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
              There are 4 things I've found that work---traps, arrows, bullets, and a cage the diameter of the barrel. Tack strips, slinkies, grease, PVC----nope.
              I used to think the cage being the full size or diameter of the barrel worked too but that simply isn’t the case. I think the size of the openings should be considered as well. If the holes are too large, the little sh**s can get their shoulders inside and reach the spinner plate. Even on the larger 85gal barrels. I had no problems with these 85gal barrel SNFs for the first 2 years...until this past season. Apparently an over achieving coon figured them out after all.
              The smaller 1”x1” wire will work but of course the corn doesn’t spread out as far.
              I’ve since added SpinTech spinner plates that solved the problem.
              Last edited by RascalArms; 09-09-2018, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Yep, eliminator or spintech spin plates. I've got them on all of my feeders this year because I was tired of the coons raiding the feeder or the cage having holes small enough that the coons couldn't get to the plate but that created piles of corn under the feeder.

Comment

Eliminator plate and slinky's Works like a charm.

Comment

RascalArms---my cages are made from wire with 1" mesh and that keeps their little coon arms away from the spinner plates.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                      Tack strips and shark teeth..........aka Coon Stairs!!! [emoji57]
                      Lmao! This is my experience as well

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                        RascalArms---my cages are made from wire with 1" mesh and that keeps their little coon arms away from the spinner plates.
                        Yep...like I said, 1”x1” wire definitely works. I just hate the way it knocks the feed radius down on how far the corn throws.

Comment

I've had great luck with the shark teeth. I put a little twist around the leg with them. The only time I've had a coon climb the legs is when the teeth strip slipped and was not in full contact with the leg. I just wrapped more wire to hold it close to the leg and problems stopped.

Comment

Ive put them stacked side by side 100% coverage around the tree the feeder was in. Stopped them for a couple months,...then they got hungry and they still climbed the tree. It did lessen the amount, but in no way eliminated it. Not to mention the wood on the tack strips deteriorate what seemed to be relatively quickly. For what its worth, I don't use tack strips at all anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                              Yep...like I said, 1”x1” wire definitely works. I just hate the way it knocks the feed radius down on how far the corn throws.
                              My feeders with the cages are at hog-only sites so that is actually an advantage. For some reason, I've not had coon problems on my 3 deer-hunting feeders. On the ground, yes, but not on the feeders which are crank ups.

Comment

I never tried shark teeth but I do have the coonhood that Haden made the pro type for our all season feeders and what a difference a year makes. Last year we were filling our 500 lbs stand and fill feeders every couple of weeks I even posted a picture of 23 coons under my feeder. This year we only fill our feeders every 6-8 weeks, mind you the place we hunt has other stuff planted, but lots of paw prints on the hoods but nowhere near the loss of protein like last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X