Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default Hunting amongst Wind Turbines

Well after having a discussion with my land owner it appears that we may be getting several(1 per every 35 acres) in the future.. I know nurse Jenn hunts amongst them but does anyone else?? What are the affects on the animals..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #2
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sam

I always wondered the same when seeing them TTT
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

They'll become like anything else that's permanent and won't bother the deer.
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #4
Electrican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
Once the construction is done.
Electrican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #5
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

The construction while they are making pads and getting them ready is what you have to worry about once they are up it’s no big deal it’s like pump jacks !
Hoss163 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #6
RJH1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Abilene area

Deer will get used to it in no time, and the turbines will give you some cover noise. I am not sure the construction bothers deer too much, I have had them walk within 50 yards of me while running a dozer. If you think about there are deer in cities and suburbs with people and cars moving around all the time.
RJH1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCulloch County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Well after having a discussion with my land owner it appears that we may be getting several(1 per every 35 acres) in the future.. I know nurse Jenn hunts amongst them but does anyone else?? What are the affects on the animals..
So you're saying you dont want my opinion again? There are about 12 other TBHers that hunt with me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrican View Post
Once the construction is done.
This is true. It sucks while they are going up but now, the deer dont care. Ours were finished a month or so ago and they planted seed around them and I see deer eating right under them every time I am driving around.
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejenn View Post
So you're saying you dont want my opinion again? There are about 12 other TBHers that hunt with me...

This is true. It sucks while they are going up but now, the deer dont care. Ours were finished a month or so ago and they planted seed around them and I see deer eating right under them every time I am driving around.
No mam its not like that at all......... I believe you..

I just need to talk about it
Old 05-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #9
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
Deer will get used to it in no time, and the turbines will give you some cover noise. I am not sure the construction bothers deer too much, I have had them walk within 50 yards of me while running a dozer. If you think about there are deer in cities and suburbs with people and cars moving around all the time.
Dang.. Cover noise I never thought of that
Old 05-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Quote:
Dang.. Cover noise I never thought of that
And if you have trouble sleeping at night at the lease, the "gentle" whooshing will help lull to to sleep... 🤣🤣🤣
Old 05-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #11
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
And if you have trouble sleeping at night at the lease, the "gentle" whooshing will help lull to to sleep... 🤣🤣🤣
Yea but they just look so freaky especially at night.. Like something from the "Land Of The Lost".. Might cause a bad dream..
Old 05-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #12
nursejenn
Pope & Young

We do have nice roads now though...
Old 05-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #13
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yea but they just look so freaky especially at night.. Like something from the "Land Of The Lost".. Might cause a bad dream..
Even creepier when you have to walk or drive right under one...
Old 05-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #14
etbowhunter
Nubbin' Buck

I’ve hunted on a place with them for the last 12 years. The turbines themselves don’t bother the deer at all. You will have some traffic on your place from the service guys. Just make sure they stick to the roads connecting the turbines. Some of the guys we’ve had over the years thought that checking turbines gave them the right to cut thru pastures because it was shorter than following the designated roads or “sight see”.
etbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #15
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Quote:
I will also say that 1 per every 35 acres seems like they are gonna be crammed in together. We have 1 per every 200 acres...
Old 05-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #16
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by etbowhunter View Post
Iíve hunted on a place with them for the last 12 years. The turbines themselves donít bother the deer at all. You will have some traffic on your place from the service guys. Just make sure they stick to the roads connecting the turbines. Some of the guys weíve had over the years thought that checking turbines gave them the right to cut thru pastures because it was shorter than following the designated roads or ďsight seeĒ.
You see now this will be a problem..
I do not do good AT ALL with any kind of silliness on a place that I lease to hunt..
Old 05-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #17
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
I will also say that 1 per every 35 acres seems like they are gonna be crammed in together. We have 1 per every 200 acres...
That's what Im thinking too..
Old 05-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #18
Lee230
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX & OK Panhandle

They came in on our family ranch in the panhandle ten years ago. Once the construction crews were gone, the wildlife settled down and walk right by. The advantage is great roads and numerous places to park and an occasional port-a-potty! Give it time, happy hunting!
Lee230 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #19
RJH1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Abilene area

One other thing though, if where you hunt ever has an ice storm, just stay away. You would not believe the HUGE pieces of ice they toss, and they will toss it quite a ways too
RJH1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #20
tbgascorer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

I don't believe you'll be able to hunt during the construction phase.
tbgascorer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 09:51 PM   #21
Lee230
Eight Point

Crazy funny that you mention that!! Last December while waiting on my son to finish his business in the port-a-potty, under one of the turbines, I saw this massive pile of ice slam the ground about 50 yards from us. then saw it again and again. When he came out, I told him to run to the truck!! We backed away and watched the ice come off the blades as temps rose!! Great PSA I left out!!
Old 05-17-2018, 09:52 PM   #22
Lee230
Eight Point

We could hunt as we own the land.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:38 AM   #23
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:

As your neighbor, we didnít see in influx in deer when they where building them. I was hoping so but didnít happen.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #24
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgascorer View Post
I don't believe you'll be able to hunt during the construction phase.
Depends on contract, I did on my ranch in panhandle.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #25
Jake
Four Point

Quote:
As a ranch investment guy. I would make sure to tell your landowner that the value of his ranch will drop by 50% due to having them on his land. Plus the value of the neighboring ranches will drop by 25% because they are in view. If the owner plans to keep the land forever, then it probably will not matter. If he plans to sale in the next 20 years, the increased revenue will not be enough to offset for the drop in value of the land.
I deal with this issue all the time. Landowners promised big checks for wind energy. Checks are never as big as promised. Land owner then decides to sale the land to raise money and is shocked that no one will pay half the market rate for the place with turbines.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #26
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico

Covered up in them in Nolan County. I came in well after they put them in. Lots of places still getting them put in.

Does make me wonder how it affected deer. The numbers are not very high and makes me wonder how that played out with the wind turbines.
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #27
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)

I hunted turkey in a Priddy this April on tbgscorer’s place. First time I hunted there since the installations of turbones on the surrounding properties. It seems the turbines have made the turkeys gobble more and come quicker to my calls!
Anvilheadtexas is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 08:21 AM   #28
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford Co, Parker Co, Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
As a ranch investment guy. I would make sure to tell your landowner that the value of his ranch will drop by 50% due to having them on his land. Plus the value of the neighboring ranches will drop by 25% because they are in view. If the owner plans to keep the land forever, then it probably will not matter. If he plans to sale in the next 20 years, the increased revenue will not be enough to offset for the drop in value of the land.

I deal with this issue all the time. Landowners promised big checks for wind energy. Checks are never as big as promised. Land owner then decides to sale the land to raise money and is shocked that no one will pay half the market rate for the place with turbines.

^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #29
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: A pop up Blind in East Texas

As a coal plant man I say burn em down! Not really but yeah
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #30
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
That’s a very generic blanket response. Each area is different

As an investment landowner, wind turbines have driven up price of land almost double in my area. Wind turbines pay what the contract states. So far I haven’t found anything in our area that in the last 40 years that has the same per acre payout that’s panned out. Only thing I’ve would of beat it was 1200 acre solar lease, but they pulled out after Trump won.

Last edited by Texans42; 05-18-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #31
Jake
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
Thatís a very generic blanket response. Each area is different

As an investment landowner, wind turbines have driven up price of land almost double in my area. Wind turbines pay what the contract states. So far I havenít found anything in our area that in the last 40 years that has the same per acre payout thatís panned out. Only thing Iíve would of beat it was 1200 acre solar lease, but they pulled out after Trump won.
Glad you have a set price on your agreement. Many people sign agreements based off a percentage of electricity produced and sold. Those historically underperform proformas.
I have not seen turbines drive up the price of land, but admit I do not work the West Texas market that much. I can say in the hill country extended, prices have dropped dramatically around turbines.
I agree that the solar deals are the way to go if you can get them.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #32
Payne346
Six Point

Doesn't bother the deer on our place either. But like said above, not sure you will be able to hunt during the construction phase.
Payne346 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #33
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Glad you have a set price on your agreement. Many people sign agreements based off a percentage of electricity produced and sold. Those historically underperform proformas.
I have not seen turbines drive up the price of land, but admit I do not work the West Texas market that much. I can say in the hill country extended, prices have dropped dramatically around turbines.
I agree that the solar deals are the way to go if you can get them.
Solar is a double edge sword. You loose multi land usaged, but it pays more and the homesteaders donít complain.

End of the day I view it as another diversification tool to help persevere working ranches.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:08 AM   #34
talltexasshoote
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent and garza counties

Our animals got used to them really quickly. The additional road traffic seems to keep the animals used to folks being around. The biggest and oldest animals find the niches away from traffic, but don’t seem to mind the turbines at all.
talltexasshoote is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top