South Texas Rut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Texas Rut

What does the time frame look like for us this season and do you think we will have a stronger rut this year, I've always noticed around the middle of december is pre-rut and full rut end of december, any other thoughts to this!!!

Rough crowd

Comment

lol

Comment

Lol yeap

Comment

Dang just noticed I'm a 4pt yess!! I guess I need to be a non-typical 200 class buck to get replies!!

Comment

Ive noticed that the rut seems to be very different based on where you hunt. When we hunted around Mason, this week seemed to be the start of the rut. When we hunt south texas on the coast, it seems like the rut is going on in January.

As far as the idea of a "stronger" rut, Im not a believer in that. IMO, all does do not come into heat at the same time. Of all of the years Ive hunted I have yet to identify any consistent predictor of the rut. I usually try to focus on hunting high pressure and cold fronts.

Comment

I took the week off before Christmas this year. I hope that’s when it hits here in Duval county. I’m in the blind now. Deer are moving good since the cold weather knocked out a lot of the green stuff. Bucks are still grouped together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wednesday I saw young bucks locking up already could be pre rut with all this crazy weather we have been having this year so far, but I would say it will be a bit early this year than normal. I hunt in Hidalgo county

Comment

In all my years Ive seen the hottest activity in the brush country of S. Texas December 12 thru the 15.

Comment

We are halfway between Tilden and Freer, and we can almost set a watch to when our rut starts. Dec 19-28th seems to be our most active pieriod. I’m currently working in Fowlerton and have seen a few bucks cruising the last few days. It’s only going to get better and better from here on out.

Comment

I agree with yall hopefully its a good one this season!!

Comment

We’re covered up in scrapes and rubs. While loading my sons cull last Saturday a 4yo 130” 9pt was locked down on a young doe sixty yards from us. Very early for Falfurrias.
                        Thinking the deer are less stressed with all the rains and everything is green.

Comment

We are just south of Hebbronville and last year the rut was between Dec 18-Jan 1ish. Hoping it’s about the same this year.

Comment

I’ve noticed smaller bucks pushing does around already. Big boys haven’t been doing anything but eating, but with the cold wet weather so early in the season I wouldn’t bet against an earlier than usual rut. Last year they kicked off hard around the 18th where we were, wouldn’t surprise me if they were a week to 10 days earlier this time around.

Comment

Spent the week near Dilley last week. Found several mature bucks already locked on does strangely early.

Comment

Working...
                              X