Tanning my first hide. Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tanning my first hide. Advice?

Having a go at tanning my first deer hide. I'm wanting to use the "pickling" method. Any advice you have for me or tricks of the trade? I'm a total amateur!

no advice but im tuned in to see how this process works.

Comment

tanning is the easy part...Breaking the hide is another story. What tan are you going to try?

Comment

I put mine in a bucket of warter vinegar and salt for a couple days then let it dry before I put the tan on. It is very hard to brake one if you use to much tan

Comment

I used the kit from McKenzie taxidermy. It was not that difficult. If you have an outside area where you can do this it will help. I you have to do it inside the aroma will not be pleasant. Sort of a mixture of dying Easter eggs and canning pickles.

Comment

Luton F, or krowtan, just follow directions with them.

Comment

Maybe it is not the best method, but the last time I tanned a deer hide, I used the Mckenzie kit on one and used a homemade method out of the Texas Monthly Magazine on another. After they were done, I used an angle grinder with wire brush wheel to break it. It softened up quick. I was a leathery mess but some compressed air cleaned it all off

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                tanning is the easy part...Breaking the hide is another story. What tan are you going to try?
                Sorry misread the question... I saw a tanning oil product on amazon I may order but I've been wondering if neatsfoot oil would work? I read to run the hide over a sawhorse or the edge of a table to soften it.
                Last edited by LittleLizaMarie; 01-21-2017, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spike25 View Post
                  I put mine in a bucket of warter vinegar and salt for a couple days then let it dry before I put the tan on. It is very hard to brake one if you use to much tan
                  What product do you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                    I used the kit from McKenzie taxidermy. It was not that difficult. If you have an outside area where you can do this it will help. I you have to do it inside the aroma will not be pleasant. Sort of a mixture of dying Easter eggs and canning pickles.
                    I'll look into the kit!! Yes, I'm definitely doing it outside and my yard smells like vinegar!!

Comment

Originally posted by JWW View Post
                      Maybe it is not the best method, but the last time I tanned a deer hide, I used the Mckenzie kit on one and used a homemade method out of the Texas Monthly Magazine on another. After they were done, I used an angle grinder with wire brush wheel to break it. It softened up quick. I was a leathery mess but some compressed air cleaned it all off
                      Neat idea! Thanks! I'm using the method from Texas Monthly as well.

Comment

Krowtan is what was reccomended to me by my taxidermist. Although I never got around to doing it because I have been too busy.

Comment

Brains.

Comment

I fleshed one with a pressure washer, then used the tanning kit from Mckenzie. When I oiled it it softened up decent at best. If I was an Indian wearing it it would have been like wearing some stiff starched jeans and buttondown shirt. I had a couple done by a company in town and they are much nicer than I could have done.

Comment

Working...
                            X