Who's running proof barrels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    I would take much of what you read with s grain of salt. Everybody has something to ***** about on the internet while the people that are happy just keep on keeping on.

I have a Proof barrel blank that I will eventually get around to finishing out and then I will know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yea you can find someone who hates just about every product if you look long enough. Ill have a carbon barrel eventually just wasn't sure a my pack rifle from no experience in one being dropped or hit on rocks. They may be tough there also though I just feel more comfortable with steel just in case. Now a pretty deer stand rifle no problem

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
      Yea you can find someone who hates just about every product if you look long enough. Ill have a carbon barrel eventually just wasn't sure a my pack rifle from no experience in one being dropped or hit on rocks. They may be tough there also though I just feel more comfortable with steel just in case. Now a pretty deer stand rifle no problem

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
        If you're thinking carbon fiber, consider Hardy. Little bit cheaper, and a little more quality IMHO.

A couple guys on snipers-hide gave them good reviews with some nice targets to back up their claims.

You guys may end up getting another build out of me.

What's your retail price on the barrel blank from hardy? You can PM me if you want.

Comment

You would think that proofs target hunters are the back country, Africa, spot and stalk guys. That's why they made them lighter weight

Comment

Originally posted by malky102 View Post
            https://youtu.be/MXtee3ipsW8

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
            I looked that up when you mentioned it the other day. I don't think that makes me comfortable with it though. Maybe in the pack but not for steep rough country like my current build is for. Would always be a what if in the back of my mind

I won't test one when I get it either to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
              You would think that proofs target hunters are the back country, Africa, spot and stalk guys. That's why they made them lighter weight
              I have no doubt that's who they're targeting. My Bartlein 2b fluted will weigh the same or very close though

Comment

I have no doubt that's who they're targeting. My Bartlein 2b fluted will weigh the same or very close though

Yea I can see that. I just prefer varmint contours and was afraid by even fluting I wouldn't stay in a mid weight build like I want. I know the proof will get me there. I'm hoping the gun will feel like a heavy spotter contour rifle. I got the light sendero.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                  Yea I can see that. I just prefer varmint contours and was afraid by even fluting I wouldn't stay in a mid weight build like I want. I know the proof will get me there. I'm hoping the gun will feel like a heavy spotter contour rifle. I got the light sendero.

Yep that the advantage of carbon wrapped barrels. You save weight while keeping the stiffness without having to go to a thin barrel where whip is more likely to be an issue.

Comment

the weight difference is very minimal , perhaps a 1/2 lb. (8 ozs.)

PROOF - Sendero contour finished at 24" ... 3.41 lbs.

Custom barrel - Sendero/VS fluted 24" .... 3.91 lbs.

you can opt for a #5 fluted and it will weigh the same as a PROOF ... 3.41 lbs

it comes down to buying what YOU want and can afford

Comment

Who's running proof barrels?

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                      the weight difference is very minimal , perhaps a 1/2 lb. (8 ozs.)

PROOF - Sendero contour finished at 24" ... 3.41 lbs.

Custom barrel - Sendero/VS fluted 24" .... 3.91 lbs.

you can opt for a #5 fluted and it will weigh the same as a PROOF ... 3.41 lbs

it comes down to buying what YOU want and can afford

CB. Ok we get. You hate a carbon barrel. [emoji12]
                      You sound like me talking about a Creed. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        Yep that the advantage of carbon wrapped barrels. You save weight while keeping the stiffness without having to go to a thin barrel where whip is more likely to be an issue.

I'd like to know what contour the carbon barrels are equal too in stiffness. Is there any charts or studies showing that?

Comment

I'd like to know what contour the carbon barrels are equal too in stiffness. Is there any charts or studies showing that?

I'm sure there's a chart somewhere. They're supposed to be bull barrel stiff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                            I'm sure there's a chart somewhere. They're supposed to be bull barrel stiff.

All I heard is stiffer than the same weight in steel

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                              CB. Ok we get. You hate a carbon barrel. [emoji12]
                              You sound like me talking about a Creed. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I don't hate CF brother, as they look BA ... just have a hard time justifying $800 for a barrel

If I had your $$$ I'd order 3-4 right now

I may shoot one in the future if I found one priced right

Comment

I'd like to know what Jason's gun weighs.

Comment

Working...
                                X